2011 Giant Defy 2 - Updated Pics

Nairnster
Nairnster Posts: 602
edited January 2012 in Your road bikes
Well it arrived today (48 hour delivery to this part of Scotland takes 72 hours)

2011-09-02125633Medium.jpg

I only have the following picture of the actual bike which was taken straight after fitting the front wheel. The saddle, bars stem etc have not been adjusted, and the reflectors and bell were still fitted when I took the picture.

2011-09-02131733Medium.jpg

I will take a better picture tomorrow and post that up, but I love it already :)
Incidentally it's my first road bike for 5-6 years, and I got it for a bargainous price from Tri UK.
It was very well set up and everything that should be greased was, and the gears and brakes faultless on a quick test ride.

Comments

• i love Giant's understated colour schemes and you do seem to be able to pick up bargain at this time of year, got my SCR1 a few years ago with a similar discount

look forward to more pics
  • Nairnster
    edited September 2013
    Well, been busy riding my new bike so have been too busy to take new pictures.

Today though, I did just that, so here she is as she stands now:

2011-09-06145103Small.jpg

2011-09-06145028Small.jpg

Changed the blue bar tape for some black Easton Tape, looks much better IMO, and have also fitted my Strada Double Wireless.

What do you all think?
  • What do you all think?

Shed could still do with some paint :D
  • Sheds not my responsibility, so it can stay like that lol
  • looks nice, black chainset would look good.....
  • gmacz
    gmacz Posts: 343
    It does look much better.
    Not a great shade of blue, black is better.
    What about mudguards, are you planning anything in that dept.
    Countryside in Forfar area is thick mud covered in places because of the harvest.
    Cycle 50 yards in it, me and the bike would be covered in sh*t.
  • Yeah the blue was too bright for my liking. Although I like some of the blue touches, there is a lot of anodised components, that take me back to the early 90s mountain bike scene lol

Over time, some of these will be phased out to black replacments to make it a bit more subtle.

Future Plans hadnt included mudguards yet, but I am looking into a set now.

After winter, the bike will probably get a bit of a treat for the spring and summer, in the form of a lighter set of wheels, and possibly a 105 groupset if I can get one at a decent price.

I am just starting out again in the world of road cycling, and my lack of fitness, whilst embarassing is not something I am afraid to admit. After just fours days (and a rest day) I can feel a (slight) improvement and so this has made me happy.

Hopefully, I will be able to do the bike justice next year, when my aim is to do a first century ride.
  • Nairnster
    More updated pics, after fitting my lovely Christmas presents.

The bar is a Deda RM 02, and the stem a 100mm Zero 1. Only saved about 50g over the stock giant items, but look much better in my opinion:

20120106_152641Medium.jpg

Seatpost is a Control Tech 350mm x 30.9mm Team 1A, and the saddle, a Fizik Aliante Gamma. These saved 191g.

20120106_152603Medium.jpg

The parts werent a wait saving exercise, more from an aesthetic and comfort point of view. Saving a little weight is just a bonus.

I also replaced the blue headset spacers, the blue seat clamp, and destickered the wheels (not sure on the last one, but its done now)

And here is the bike as of now, excuse the picture quality by the way, its not sunny up here just now, and typically it started raining just as I took the bike out to do the pics

20120106_152550Medium.jpg
  • TMR
    TMR Posts: 3,986
    Nice bike! How do you find the Aliante? I have Ariones on both of mine, but am thinking of giving the Aliante a try.
  • aw1808
    aw1808 Posts: 91
    The bike is a nice bit of kit but the rider is even better !
    I may be slow going up but i will pass you going down !
  • Nairnster
    Nice bike! How do you find the Aliante? I have Ariones on both of mine, but am thinking of giving the Aliante a try.

Thanks for the comment :)

Havent had a chance to try the saddle yet, feels firmer than the giant, but a pretty similar shape and dimensions. Maiden voyage tomorrow, weather permitting.
  • Nairnster
    aw1808 wrote:
    The bike is a nice bit of kit but the rider is even better !

Lol, you wish that was me. I am a guy.

Though I think you may have known that anyway.
  • aw1808
    aw1808 Posts: 91
    lol , I didnt but it its still a nice bike , i was looking at the giants yesterday to replace my battered winter bike , do they ride well ?
    I may be slow going up but i will pass you going down !
  • alihisgreat
    alihisgreat Posts: 3,872
    aw1808 wrote:
    lol , I didnt but it its still a nice bike , i was looking at the giants yesterday to replace my battered winter bike , do they ride well ?

Yes.

(both the Defy 2 and Defy 1 2012 versions got 4.5/5 in Cycling Plus reviews because of the great frame-> i've got the 2012 defy 1 and its a very nice ride.)