Broken crank puller

slawek37113
slawek37113 Posts: 4
edited September 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
I tried to remove crank with crank puller, pulled wrench with all my strengh till the puller broke.?
Is it normal ? Maybe i should buy a better puller ?

Here is a photo:
img0126pq.jpg

img0126pq.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Did you remember to take the little button off, normally magnetic?
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • which button ? i just removed 2 screvs from both sides of a crank and then started to use crank puller.
  • 1mancity2
    1mancity2 Posts: 2,355
    On the end of the crank puller is a little button end which you remove for your type of crank.

If you have left it in place more than likely its bedded its self into your crank arm causing the resistance your now getting.
    Finished, Check out my custom Giant Reign 2010
    Dirt Jumper Dmr Sidekick2
  • as cooldad says, there is normally a little metal button on the end of the crank puller you take off
    Boardman Team Carbon 2010
  • The metal button/disc is for ISIS cranks. If you have square taper then you remove that so the crank puller has a small point.

If the button is still fitted then the puller will bottom out before it gets to the bottom bracket spindle and that's probably caused your snap.

You're lucky not to have stripped the thread.
  • schweiz
    schweiz Posts: 1,644
    I tried to remove crank with crank puller, pulled wrench with all my strengh till the puller broke.?
    Is it normal ? Maybe i should buy a better puller ?

Do you know how to use a crank puller? You shouldn't do any pulling! That's the job of the tool.

Wind the inner screw of the crank puller out (anti clockwise). Then wind the crank puller all the way into the crank arm (clockwise), then turn the inner screw clockwise which pushes the crank off the BB axle.

I've only had one crank that I couln't get off and that was bacause the aluminium was so badly corroded the threads stripped as I started winding the inner screw in.
  • Harry182
    Harry182 Posts: 1,170
    @ slawek

I've done the same. My crank-arm-puller was a bit old and the crank was on very tight. I bought a new puller and everything was fine. (Did make me feel a bit like superman though, shearing through 1/2" of steel.)
  • kinmofo
    kinmofo Posts: 172
    just a side note, the only thing in the picture that isn't in focus is the bit we're focusing on :lol:
    I'm a Nazi Zombie! And You Cant Kill Me!

Out of all the things I've lost, I miss my Mind the most!

dont get mad, get KROSS
  • i've just succesfully unscrewed the broken part of puller out of crank and made some photos, i can't see any button there, can u tell me does it look ok ? Did it broke because puller was too weak and crank placed too firmly ?

img0128q.jpg

img0129nr.jpg

img0130gw.jpg

img0131te.th.jpg

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    it just failed.

get a better one.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • crankpull.jpg

edit
    I only ride 'em, I don't know what makes 'em work!