Best hybrid for up to £700

andyrac
andyrac Posts: 1,170
edited September 2011 in Commuting general
Need some advice - have a MTB, which will be upgraded to a Canyon, probably. However, while I'm after a road bike, with the impending Autumn & the promise of bad weather, I want a hybrid - trouble is, I can't decide which one. Quite like the Cannondale Quicks, and have read that Giant do good hybrids as well as Boardmans.
Any others I may have missed?
All Road/ Gravel: tbcWinter: tbcMTB: tbcRoad: tbc"Look at the time...." "he's fallen like an old lady on a cruise ship..."

Comments

• Andy,

Of those I've experienced, it's really hard to beat the Specialized Sirrus range (although it pains me to say it). The Fuji Absolute range is pretty good too - I like Fuji, so I might be biased.

Personally, I've been in a similar position to you recently and I've ordered myself a Cannondale CAADX cyclocross bike - it's light, fast, durable and should be good in multiple weather conditions and might cope better with the increasing potholes in my area!

One final question - do you really want a hybrid or an all-weather road bike? The Ribble audax/winter trainer might be a good choice for an 'all weather' road bike - great frame with good value components that you can spec to meet your needs. I discounted this bike from my choice because I need wider tyres to cope with potholes and more mixed terrain.
  • andyrac
    andyrac Posts: 1,170
    Cheers, thanks.
    Good final question - during Autum/Winter, a lot of the local roads I use, are used by agriculture vehicles, and so, the roads are covered in filth - so I don't fancy using a road bike. A few months ago, a CX bike was my first choice, now I'm undecided..
    All Road/ Gravel: tbcWinter: tbcMTB: tbcRoad: tbc"Look at the time...." "he's fallen like an old lady on a cruise ship..."
  • MichaelW
    MichaelW Posts: 2,164
    I find that muddy rural roads can be ridden on 28-32mm tyres+ mudguards. That is within the capability of a winter trainer/touring/CX road bike.
    If your road riding falls short of actual race competition then you are better off with a versatile, useful road bike style. No need for a hybrid.
  • Whyte are pretty much the best commuters in the moment, I work in a bike shop and nothing comes close