Combination locks.Are they safe enough?

jc4lab
jc4lab Posts: 554
edited September 2011 in Tour & expedition
Cable quality apart ,can a thief easily de code these and whip yer bike.
Maybe you have had one of yours taken or simply you have the skill to unlock one yourself ..
jc

Comments

• daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    Depends on the build quality.

I forgot I had locked my bike using one and cycled off. Bike okay. Lock mechanism in pieces :shock:

I could blame my awesome power :wink: but I think it had more to do with weak design.
    That was 30 years ago though :oops: Things may have improved since......
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • Dan_xz
    Dan_xz Posts: 130
    On the cheaper ones it's extremely easy to open them. I found this out as a kid when I wanted to borrow my brothers bike without asking! I've done it a my mates locks and some commuters at work just to show how unsecure these cheap combo locks are.

Never tried a more expensive one but I personally don't trust them and use high end key locks myself.
  • andymiller
    andymiller Posts: 2,856
    Depend what you mean by 'safe enough'. I have a chunky cable with a chunky combination unit. I use it for locking the bike in campsites or outside a supermarket. I wouldn't even think about leaving it on the street overnight in a city.
  • andymiller wrote:
    Depend what you mean by 'safe enough'. I have a chunky cable with a chunky combination unit. I use it for locking the bike in campsites or outside a supermarket. I wouldn't even think about leaving it on the street overnight in a city.

This

I used to have one but I would only use it where I could kind of keep an eye on my bike as well, I always regarded it as more a kind of tamper deterrant rather than real security.
    You've no won the Big Cup since 1902!
  • edhornby
    edhornby Posts: 1,780
    not safe

for the price of a better quality one you can get a mini kryptonite D lock
    "I get paid to make other people suffer on my wheel, how good is that"
    --Jens Voight
  • Not safe - the internal links needed for a combination locks are too weak - with most makes it doesn't take more than a strong rap with a hammer on the head to break one. A proper padlock or shackle lock is better if you are using a cable.