How warm are bibtights?

joelsim
joelsim Posts: 7,552
edited September 2011 in Commuting chat
Just received my Gore Oxygens that i ordered 6 weeks ago from Evans at half price. They feel quite sily to the touch but can't try them on yet. Is it cold enough to wear them now or shall I wait a month or two?

Comments

• asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    Last year I put mine on when it got to about 5c. Abouve that and I was too warm.

Mind, I was better insulated last year. :oops:
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    Whats the fabric like? Roubaix? I have some ShuttVR Roubaix bibtights and they were plenty warm enough. Keeps the wind out and your legs toasty warm.
  • SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    Joelsim wrote:
    Just received my Gore Oxygens that i ordered 6 weeks ago from Evans at half price. They feel quite silly to the touch but can't try them on yet. Is it cold enough to wear them now or shall I wait a month or two?

FTFY
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • joelsim
    Yes, silky and soft.
  • kelsen
    kelsen Posts: 2,003
    Joelsim wrote:
    Yes, silky and soft.

Was that whilst wearing them and touching yourself? Too much info!

I wore my Endura 3/4 thermolites in today because the rest were in the wash. Halfway in I was overheating.
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,440
    Nowhere near bib tight weather yet, Low single figures before I go for mine. As long as my knees re covered I'm ok with shorts + kneewarmers until it's really cold.
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • Paul E
    Paul E Posts: 2,052
    I waer mine very rarely as I chuck out so much heat it has to be near freezing before I will go to full on tights
  • I started wearing leg warmers last week. Yea, so what, Im a pansy.
  • Yup - postpone as much as possible - I find they restrict my legs far more than shorts. Low single figures before wearing
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • nickel
    nickel Posts: 476
    I dont want to shill out for some bib tights that aren't going to be used much in all but the coldest weather so my plan this year is to buy some roubiax bibshorts and combine them with knee warmers and then wear an old wear of bibless unpadded tights over the shorts when it gets really cold.
  • Mr Plum
    Mr Plum Posts: 1,097
    I'll be a big girl and get mine on quick after a few 'nippy' 7 or 8 degree mornings...

I was riding in Scotland this year at the end of May with leg warmers, 2 base layers and a thick long sleeve jersey. I'm not kidding :roll:
    FCN 2 to 8
  • joelsim
    I'll give it another week or so.
  • joelsim
    I'll give it another week or so.
  • A week? I'll still be in shorts and tees until October. Rain excepted.

I just don't get why so many cyclists over dress.
    I used to just ride my bike to work but now I find myself going out looking for bigger and bigger hills.
  • joelsim
    Maybe I should use smilies.

Summer briefly appeared today.

I will probably give it until mid October or so.
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    prawny wrote:
    Nowhere near bib tight weather yet, Low single figures before I go for mine. As long as my knees re covered I'm ok with shorts + kneewarmers until it's really cold.
    It's been single figures here most of the year and low ones occasionally through July and August. Summer? Must have missed it :wink:

To the OP. Do you feel cold in shorts?
    Yes? - Wear longs.
    No? - wear shorts.

It's not complicated.
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • nickel
    nickel Posts: 476
    daviesee wrote:
    prawny wrote:
    It's been single figures here most of the year and low ones occasionally through July and August. Summer? Must have missed it :wink:

Yes? - Wear longs.
    No? - wear shorts.

It's not complicated.

Or feel cold in shorts but too warm in tights? Knee warmers, sorted.
  • Torvid
    Torvid Posts: 449
    I usually don't break out the tights till i can feel the ice forming on my legs, November morning december both trips then they come off again end of feb get a good pair of knee warmers and you'll find your range of temps for shorts gets alot bigger and it means if the day gets better your not stuck in full length legs on the run home.
    Commuter: Forme Vision Red/Black FCN 4
    Weekender: White/Black - Cube Agree GTC pro FCN 3
  • edhornby
    edhornby Posts: 1,780
    I only use mine in the 4 coldest months - aldi winter bibs are surprisingly good

I have a pair of ronhills that go over the bibshorts or a pair of 3/4 shorts for inbetween temperatures
    "I get paid to make other people suffer on my wheel, how good is that"
    --Jens Voight
  • Paul E
    Paul E Posts: 2,052
    Knee warmers are my best bit of kit in late autumn
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    daviesee wrote:
    prawny wrote:

Yes? - Wear longs.
    No? - wear shorts.

It's not complicated.

what about 3/4?

I tend to wear those until it gets properly cold then only wear longs for 2 months pretty much
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,440
    Clever Pun wrote:
    what about 3/4?

I tend to wear those until it gets properly cold then only wear longs for 2 months pretty much

Yeah but you're harder than nails
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    prawny wrote:
    Clever Pun wrote:
    what about 3/4?

Yeah but you're harder than nails

qft
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14