Ayup Lights

Mayhemwmb
Mayhemwmb Posts: 108
edited October 2012 in MTB buying advice
I'm considering buying the v4 lights set up as per their website, I know Ayup are an australian firm and there is potential for hassles getting charged extra coming through customs,
I'm not interested in making my own set as alot of people on here do - I haven't got the patience or knowledge to mess about soldering stuff.

Questions,

1) Does anyone have any experience of these lights - good or bad
2) Have you had hassle when getting them delivered to find extra postage/tax etc
3) Any alternatives for similar money

cheers in anticipation

Comments

• ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,662
    1) Yes, they re fantastic! for 24hr racing they re brilliant, probably overkill for an hour blast around the woods though (as you don't need as much run time as they have). I can thouroughly (sp?) reccomend them!

2) I ordered when they had a UK distributer so I never had this problem, sorry, but I think they re pretty switched on and do all the right stuff so it should nt be a problem (it was in the early days)

3) Yes, many, to be honest you can't really miss at this price, but none of them come with bar and head units so if that's your favourite set up (and for most people it is) then stick with ay-up
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • ddraver
    oh and I think the newest ones are even brighter than mine to boot so you ll definitely never be short on power...
    - @ddraver
  • diy
    diy Posts: 6,473
    You can't fault the design, but there are many better options out there. Plus its about time they refreshed the LED to current tech.
  • ddraver
    ^^They have I think....
    - @ddraver
  • diy
    /\/\ here lies the problem with ayup, they are hiding the LED that they use. There is vague mention of higher current in their LED upgrade service and they talk of XLamp, but XLamp is the whole lot of Cree lights that could reasonably be used.

I doubt they are using XM-L's, they may be using XPGs possibly? but they talk about 40% brighter at 40% more current, so that could be the same LEDs

All they say is R2 bin, which could be anything, but not the best LED in any Cree range.
  • sniper68
    sniper68 Posts: 2,910
    They work.Simple.
    I've had mine 4 years and they are excellent.Plus I've had mine running for over 7 hours on one charge.I have a Magicshine(brighter) but the battery life is half of the Ay-ups.My only regret is I bought the single set kit and not the kit with helmet and bar lights.
    Whether or not they're the "latest" LEDs is irrelevant,they're bright,light and the battery life is unbeatable.
    I've tried various cree torches and although bright the beam spread/spot etc is just not as good as dedicated bike lights.
  • ddraver
    Don't underestimate the benefit of having 2 sets on bars as well...
    - @ddraver
  • ^^^^ Cheers for the replies,

I've e-mailed them to find out if they're planning on a new importer/agent, I've not got the cash at this moment in time but will have in a couple of weeks so I've got time to look about - I like the buy and forget type of approach, also seems that they can do upgrades as technology improves, without buying a complete new set.
    I will be happy with overkill on run time - would hate to get stuck in the wilderness with a mechanical etc and have an hour long walk/stumble back in the dark, been there done that!!!!
  • Been running a set of the Ay-Up's over the last 6mths here in NZ (autum/winter here) and they have been great.

I only got the handlebar set as I only intended to use them as a get me ome lgiht, but have been doing more and more after work rides which are basiclly dark from start to finish and I now wish I had gone for the V4 kit.
    Now plan to get a helmet for next winter.

They are very bright, good even light spread, for proper full night rides definately go for handlebar and helmet set. They wont let you down.
  • i have been thinking about purchasing the V4 Adventure set for a while and after reading the review in this months MBUK I contacted Ay Up this morning with a few questions.

I received an answer within the hour and I have decided to buy a set online using their webshop. The process is very easy from start to finish with lots of very good information available about shipping costs, time, taxes, etc

Hopefully they should be delivered mid October (I specified a date during the order process).

Looking forward to my first night time riding :-)
  • jmillen
    jmillen Posts: 627
    I've been using Ayups now for about 2 years, and have just recently had them upgraded as well. I have a set on the bars, and a set on the helmet.

In the 2 years I've been using them, I have never had any problems what so ever. Their customer service team is very good and give detailed answers through email within approx. 24 hours.

They're light, bright, easy to use and they work.

I'd recommend them to anyone.
    2010 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Expert Carbon
    2014 De Rosa R848
    Carrera TDF Ltd Commuter
  • Pirahna
    Pirahna Posts: 1,315
    I'll echo all the above positive comments.

I've got an early set from the UK dealer but my wifes Magicshine is probably slightly better, as long you don't need a long run time.
  • Ordered the lights on Tuesday 27th. They were shipped on Wednesday 28th, have arrived at my local DHL today and they will be delivered on Monday the 3rd.

Very good service.
    It has taken longer for things I have ordered in the UK to arrive!

Can't wait to try them out :-)
  • ddraver
    You won't be dissapointed!

I had a look at the site last night. I'm very tempted by the upgrade options...1st place in MBUK and MBR is pretty good work too!
    - @ddraver
  • They always have a stand at the IOM End2end, I was looking at them this year (they also provide the prizes). They are VERY nice looking lights, and speaking to a few people who run them currently, they are really well made too.

They are currently right at the top of my shortlist for lightsets for a 24hr race next year. Just trying to get myself over the price difference beteen these and my current magicshine ones and stop being such a tightarse.
  • diy wrote:
    /\/\ here lies the problem with ayup, they are hiding the LED that they use. There is vague mention of higher current in their LED upgrade service and they talk of XLamp, but XLamp is the whole lot of Cree lights that could reasonably be used.

I doubt they are using XM-L's, they may be using XPGs possibly? but they talk about 40% brighter at 40% more current, so that could be the same LEDs

All they say is R2 bin, which could be anything, but not the best LED in any Cree range.

My head hurts. :?
    should of used giantorangecannon
  • ddraver
    ^they use pretty white ones, that's all 99% of us need to know...
    - @ddraver
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    Agere with DIY, I'd want to know what I'm getting for my money, vagueness about LEDs could just be genuine vagueness or it could be cageyness.

They're absolutely lovely lights, but uncompetitive IMO... At the end of the day, do you want lights that are the best to look at, or do you want lights that are better to look at other things with?
    Uncompromising extremist
  • ddraver
    I don't know about you NW, but they could list all the components they use, I'd still be none the wiser....LEDs don't turn me on much. It is mentioned on their site what they use somewhere but....

A large trance of positive reviews (i be never actually read a bad one) from pros and amateurs was all I needed/could understand
    - @ddraver
  • Eranu
    Eranu Posts: 712
    Its just another irrational hate thing. AYUP are ace, mine haven't missed a beat in 3+ years.
  • Northwind
    But then again you can get lots of good reviews for Hope Vision 2s and similiar underpowered overpriced rubbish. It's a bit like knowing the difference between X5 and X9, seems like gibberish at first but the LED is so critical to the light, you want a good one, and a reasonably recent one usually.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • Eranu
    Eranu Posts: 712
    But then again you can get lots of randoms on an internet forum saying MagicShine and similar tat are excellent.

The other view for a more balanced discussion. And also it's not just the LED there are other factors.

I've not tried/or seen magicshine but the AYUPs, mine are old too, give me more than enough light to ride singletrack in the dark.
  • Northwind
    Eranu wrote:
    I've not tried/or seen magicshine but the AYUPs, mine are old too, give me more than enough light to ride singletrack in the dark.

I didn't mention magicshine- If you want to spend the price of an Ayup there are better options from the higher end competitors too.

Gettign a light that's powerful enough to ride singletrack in the dark is incredibly easy these days so that's not much of a recommendation... We're long past the point where lack of power was a problem. And no offence, this gives a wee insight into why mediocre products get great reviews, people are undemanding.

Now nobody's saying you need to get into the lumen wars and throw around 10,000,000 lumens but when you've got a relatively dull light with outdated technology there should be tradeoffs elsewhere. Ayup are pretty and superbly presented, that's their tradeoff.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • diy
    form, build quality, service etc. Nobody disputes that. But a 6 year old LED in a £200+ light

In simple terms you can buy a light that will be twice as bright, run twice as long for the same power and cost less than half as much.

I can only conclude that the AY-UP have a problem with heat which is preventing them from upgrading to XPG or XM-L. There is no logical reason to keep fitting XR/PE-R2s

To be blunt, the only conclusion I can see for people claiming they are better is either:
    A - they haven't seen anything else
    B - they refuse to accept they spent £200+ on a light which is nowhere near as good as one costing £30.
  • ddraver
    They re relatively dull compared to a 500 Squids mega light but I don't have GBP500 to spend on lights - to get two lights, head and bar for GBP250, with enough (when I bought them) would have meant getting slightly brighter commuter lights...

Even today, getting a 2 light set up, which is bright enough for fast riding and that lasts 6 hrs is not possible for GBP250/300 - other than ay-up

If you want more power for ay-ups you can choose to spec the high powered ones that have a shorter battery life - but I ve never needed brighter yet and I ve used mine from 20deg Summer laps on 24 hr races to -20deg rides through thigh deep snow last christmas. They have never missed a beat!

You re not quibbling between X7 and X9, you re quibbling about who makes the limit screws on the front derailleur
    - @ddraver
  • ddraver
    Here are the light specs from the site - I'm not an electronic engineer so I ve no idea what they mean:-

CREE LIGHTSETS – Light Specifications, AYUP- LCP4N

Weight - 58.0 grams
    Colours - 12
    Brand marking - Yes, laser marking
    Type - Twin LED, Independent rotational light housings - 270 degrees
    LED type - CREE XLamp High Powered LEDs in a Cool White Tint
    LED life - over 50,000 hours - Manufacturers estimate
    Light Unit Output - Up to 7500 - 8000 lux @ 1 metre, over 400 lumen
    Optic type - Internal Refracting Solid Optical Grade Acrylic
    Optics - Narrow, Intermediate & Medium
    Light Colour - White, 6,500 - 8,000 K
    Input Power - Min 5V - Max 8.4V DC
    LED Controller - Resistor
    Lens Seal Material - Molded Clear Silicone
    Connector type - Sealed 2.1mm Barrel Type
    Light Shell Casing Material - Aluminium 6061, anodised all over
    Light Connecting bar Material - Glass Filled Nylon
    Light Unit Impact test - 5 metres to concrete floor
    IP Rating - IP 68, Immersion - 5 metres
    Normal operating temp - Ambient to 35C Indoors - Ambient outdoors
    Excessive heat – No
    Design, Manufacture and Assembly Origin - Ay Up Lighting Systems, Australia
    Serviceable - No, fully sealed
    Approvals - Ultra Low Voltage - Regulation not required
    Warranty - 5 year replacement against manufactures defect parts and / or assembly
    Patent Pending
    - @ddraver
  • diy
    ddraver wrote:
    Even today, getting a 2 light set up, which is bright enough for fast riding and that lasts 6 hrs is not possible for GBP250/300 - other than ay-up

I could do that for £60 quid. and if you didn't mind one extra light, I could do it for £45
  • ddraver
    diy wrote:
    ddraver wrote:

I could do that for £60 quid. and if you didn't mind one extra light, I could do it for £45

that works :wink:
    - @ddraver
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Still seems expensive for the output. Mbuk measured runtime of the v4 at 148 mins at full tilt. This is 20 mins more than the ms mj872, but the v4 has half the output for twice the price.
  • diy
    ddraver wrote:
    Here are the light specs from the site - I'm not an electronic engineer so I ve no idea what they mean:-

CREE LIGHTSETS – Light Specifications, AYUP- LCP4N

Weight - 58.0 grams
    Colours - 12
    Brand marking - Yes, laser marking
    Type - Twin LED, Independent rotational light housings - 270 degrees
    LED type - CREE XLamp High Powered LEDs in a Cool White Tint
    Light Unit Output - Up to 7500 - 8000 lux @ 1 metre, over 400 lumen

there are 7 types of XLamp (MC-E, XM-L, XP-C, XP-E, XP-G,XR-C, XR-E
    each type has up to 5 or so Bins.

The only XLamps that perform as badly as the above spec with R2 bins are the XR-E XP-E and XP-C which are all basically the same LED.