Vehicles Blocking Cycle Paths

essex-commuter
essex-commuter Posts: 2,188
edited September 2011 in Commuting chat
What would you do?

The last mile of my commute is along a cycle path that runs alongside a major A road (A127). Halfway along the section I use there is a lay-by, which at the time I go past in the morning usually has a lorry or two (approx 50% foreign) in it where the drivers have slept overnight. To get further away from the traffic the lorries always drive up the kerb and park across the cycle path leaving no room at all to pass. Most mornings I have to stop, drop down the kerb, ride past the lorries (with their cab curtains shut) on the main road and then step back up the kerb and carry on.

For those that do not know the A127 it is a major (read busy) road, and it's quite dangerous cycling or walking past the lorries.

Comments

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Probably what you do...
  • Probably what you do...

I reckon you do...
  • either ignore it or complain to local police?
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Complain to Police and council. No point just ignoring it. Presumably the lorries aren't even allowed to overnight in the layby but certainly the police and council must have a responsibility to do something about it.

Alternatively, pop along in the afternoon and put a few spikey things in between the kerbstones........
    Faster than a tent.......
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    At last, a legitimate use for an Airzound.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • I always shout up at the cab "What's wrong with the road?". I did once contact the company that owned the truck who were constructive in their response.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • I probably do the wrong thing, I quite often thump my hand on the cab door as I ride past.

Will give the council a call I think.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    More appropriate to call the Police, 'unnecesary obstruction'......

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • t4tomo
    t4tomo Posts: 2,643
    Definately wake the buggers up, but be prepared to cycle away pretty damn quick.
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
    Brompton S Type
    Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
    Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
  • t4tomo
    t4tomo Posts: 2,643
    iPete wrote:

surely not that link again - oh yes it is.
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
    Brompton S Type
    Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
    Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem
  • Give the council a call is what I would do. And I also second the Airzound as well! :lol::lol:

David
  • Have you got a dog?
    Take it for a nice early morning walk. Don't forget to clean after it! When you do so don't forget to pack "the stuff" carefully, maybe in two or even three bags for extra security.

Put the package to your pannier or install it somehow on your bike. Leave home 10 minutes earlier.

When you reach the obstruction stop, take out the package and dispense the content onto the steps to the cabin.

Continue cycling.