Cav's gear on display in Douglas

sonny73
sonny73 Posts: 2,203
edited September 2011 in Pro race
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe- ... n-14730022
The green jersey in which Mark Cavendish won the final stage of the 2011 Tour de France is to go on display at the Manx Museum in Douglas. The exhibition will open to the public on 3 September.
The 26-year-old has also handed over a pair of green shoes, green sunglasses, the bike on which he won his first stage of the Tour de France in 2008 and his gold medal from the Commonwealth Games in 2006.

Comments

• So Mark willingly, and apparantely without request, sent his top to his local museum. Nice guy. :)
  • I can't imagine how Tusher will react to the title you have given this topic.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,662
    ...Something horribly sociopathic about this....
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • sonny73
    I can't imagine how Tusher will react to the title you have given this topic.
    :lol:
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,461
    I thought it was Cav's brother who was bringing gear to Douglas? :wink:
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,440
    It's poor Doug I feel sorry for...
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,662
    andyp wrote:
    I thought it was Cav's brother who was bringing gear to Douglas? :wink:

Good work sir! :lol:
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • sonny73
    prawny wrote:
    It's poor Doug I feel sorry for...
    My choice of title was poorly thought out eh :lol:
  • Tusher
    Tusher Posts: 2,762
    "We carefully unwrapped it to uncover the green jersey, it's the one he wore when he crossed the line on the Champs-Elysees and it still smells of sweat and champagne."

(bites quavering bottom lip and whimpers)

(away to check up on the cost of a short trip to the Isle of Man)
  • Tusher
    Cav should be in Madame Tussauds.
    They have footballers, why not Cav?

(think this may belong to another thread)
  • andyp
    I don't know if it's still there but there was a waxworks in Douglas, called Louis Tussauds (I think he was Madame Tussauds brother).

It was a disturbing experience for an eleven year old, one doesn't expect to see a series waxworks of various famous people, followed by waxworks of mass graves from concentration camps!
  • Tusher
    (away to cancel short trip to the Isle of Man)
  • andyp
    It's okay, it isn't there anymore, I googled it.
  • Tusher
    (away to book mid-week break to Isle of Man)
  • johny c
    johny c Posts: 256
    Tusher,

On page 111 of David Millar's book, there's a picture of a very young Mark with David in the Isle of Man. If you don't have the book yet, you can sign in to Amazon and view the picture:
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Racing-Through-Dark-David-Millar/dp/1409114945

Meanwhile, if you want to view another tdf jersey, you can see one of Robert's KOM jerseys in Glasgow, at Billy Bilsland's shop in Saltmarket:
    http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/2535897
    Johny
  • Tusher
    Thanks! Yes, I've seen that photograph- he looks so sweet. And he's not forgotton that David Millar took the time to speak to him then.

Saw Robert Millar's jersey in Bilsland's shop years ago. IIRC, it was quite faded, but I could be wrong.
  • It's still there!
  • andyp wrote:
    I don't know if it's still there but there was a waxworks in Douglas, called Louis Tussauds (I think he was Madame Tussauds brother).

It was a disturbing experience for an eleven year old, one doesn't expect to see a series waxworks of various famous people, followed by waxworks of mass graves from concentration camps!

Thread hijack, if i recall correctly it was closed down (along with the funhouse) in the early nineties before i left the island.
    2012 Brompton S6L
    2011 Canyon Nerve XC 9.0
    2001 Specialized Allez
    1998 Specialized Rockhopper FS - still going strong!
  • sonny73
    zenistar wrote:
    andyp wrote:

Thread hijack, if i recall correctly it was closed down (along with the funhouse) in the early nineties before i left the island.
    Is that the one with the hilariously bad waxworks?
  • sonny73
    edited September 2011
    Sonny73 wrote:
    zenistar wrote:
    andyp wrote:

Is that the one with the hilariously bad waxworks?
    Louis Tussauds take on Prince William. I'd certainly rather see Cav's jersey thanks:

9F8099D2C24BC024BF0C08374A2B.jpg
  • Yeah, some of the it was really poor, i don't remember that much about it fortunatly.
    2012 Brompton S6L
    2011 Canyon Nerve XC 9.0
    2001 Specialized Allez
    1998 Specialized Rockhopper FS - still going strong!