Crud catcher bosses

The Rookie
The Rookie Posts: 27,812
edited September 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
I like to run a downtube crud catcher, however my frame is not ideal for this as...
1/ it has no bosses
2/ it route both gear cable down the down tube which don't touch the crud catcher, but do run over whatever I use to attach them (Cable ties or the supplied rubber bands)

So I'm considering drilling the downtube and adding some rivnut bosses to neaten it up, anyone done this or have any considered suggestions (not "don't do just because"......... please!)

Simon
Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.

Comments

• I just use a small rubber spacer (actually I think I may have used a cork before cut to length) to space the back of the Crud Catcher away from the frame/cables. I'll get a pic up, hang on.
    "Coming through..."
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    If the downtube has no bosses, i certainly wouldn;t drill the downtube. The walls are as thin as they can get away with on most bikes - adding holes would be a a potentially monumentally bad idea.
    And besides, downtube crudcatchers don't do bugger all anywya. did you not get th ememo that started circulating in the late 90s, early 2000s?
  • TuckerUK
    TuckerUK Posts: 369
    edited September 2011
    Here you go:

medium.jpg

Original (bigger) here http://www.pbase.com/tuckeruk/image/137705098/original.jpg

The 'washer' is attached to the Crud Catcher with a shortened screw. It was painted black originally.
    "Coming through..."
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Thanks tucker, it's not the CC that causes problem but the retention straps....

YeeHaa - no not seen the memo, but my face gets muddier with it off......

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I don't believe you. Facemuck doesn;t come from that direction. It gets flung up in front of you, then you ride into it.
  • Thanks tucker, it's not the CC that causes problem but the retention straps....

Simon

Understood. The spacer sorts that.
    "Coming through..."
  • Fit a Neoguard or Bender Fender on the forks.