Running Tubeless: When to add new sealant?

myopic
myopic Posts: 692
edited September 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
I'm running tubeless with Stan's No-tubes on Flows. Set-up went fine with seating and sealing first time and no problems in 2 months of use. So far so good :D

What is nagging at me is how do I know when more sealant is needed? Other than saying it should last for between 2 and 7 months and less in hot conditions than cold, I can't find this info on the Stan's website. Ideally, I would like to know before I get a puncture that doesn't seal, or lose all the pressure in a corner or something!

Is it just a case of shaking the wheel to see if I can hear any sloshing about, and adding more if I can't or leaving it if I can? Or something else? Any help appreciated, thanks!
You don't need eyes to see, you need vision

Comments

• njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    Is it just a case of shaking the wheel to see if I can hear any sloshing about, and adding more if I can't or leaving it if I can?

Yep. If you can't, whip a bead of the tyre off and check there's some in there and top up as required, will take all of 2 minutes.
  • myopic
    Thanks, njee :D
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    A mate of mine uses the cunning approach of sticking a nail through the tyre and seeing if it'll reseal... Personally, I tend to either wear out or replace the tyres before the sealant dries up, only ever had one last long enough to need re-filled.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • My buddy had his in for 3 years without topping up nor punctures.
    Just swapped over to some bontrager stuff the lbs recommended and he's had more punctures and sealing probs than I've known lol.
    Back to stans at weekend.
    MY CUBE
    http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtop ... t=12785430

Cube ltd race 2011.....enjoying the grt outdoors no matter the weather (except snow I just can't move in the snow)!
  • myopic
    Northwind - i had thought of something along those lines, but a nail seems a bit drastic. I had been thinking stapler :wink:

Only been running them 2 months and on the basis of the recent weather definitely not qualifying as hot enough to give concern about the lower quoted limit I wasn't getting worried yet, but wanted a feel for how/what to check. But xand xand - 3 years? I've never had a tyre last anywhere near that long! Good to know form both your posts that longevity doesn't seem to be an issue though. Thanks for feedback :)