Little bit of tyre advise please

Drzoidberg
Drzoidberg Posts: 122
edited September 2011 in MTB general
Hi all,

My rear tyre tread has had it, and with a little one in the house I am on a budget, so I am after some advice on a replacement.

Thought I would get a little creative and try a different tyre on the rear to the front.

So I am thinking of moving my one good Continental Vertical to the rear and sticking a Continental mountain king on the front. Fater on the back with more nobble than the front is the plan.

Is it a good idea to mess about with different tryes or not? Or is the general consensus get 2 the same?

Comments

• leaflite
    leaflite Posts: 1,651
    Generally, you want the grippier, fatter tyre on the front not the rear.
  • Whats the reasoning for that? I would have thought more tread to bite when your peddling on the rear.
  • 1mancity2
    1mancity2 Posts: 2,355
    Fatter tyre on the front give you more grip on turns, you turn your back end follows the front so makes sense to have bigger, gripper tyre on the front also helps with braking.
    Finished, Check out my custom Giant Reign 2010
    Dirt Jumper Dmr Sidekick2
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    It all depends of course, on your riding terrain.
    If you ARE noticing a lot of slipping on th erear due to some monumental climbs, then a big rear tyre makes sense, but for the majority of us, a skinny, fast rolling rear, with a grippy front, for braking and turnning, work best.
  • kinmofo
    kinmofo Posts: 172
    If you ARE noticing a lot of slipping on th erear due to some monumental climbs, then a big rear tyre makes sense, but for the majority of us, a skinny, fast rolling rear, with a grippy front, for braking and turnning, work best.

thith maneth thpeaketh the truthth! 8) i have mine like that, 2.30 front, 2.10 rear.
    I'm a Nazi Zombie! And You Cant Kill Me!

Out of all the things I've lost, I miss my Mind the most!

dont get mad, get KROSS
  • kinmofo

thith maneth thpeaketh the truthth! 8) i have mine like that, 2.30 front, 2.10 rear.

dont get mad, get KROSS
  • kinmofo

dont get mad, get KROSS
  • Sounds about right i am 2.2 rear and 2.3 front so happy days, I'll give it a spin this afternoon and see what happens.

Cheers for the info