front fork replacement

ashes
ashes Posts: 6
edited September 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi, can you help? I have a claud butler java 18 (year 2004 ish). The front forks are shot, I would like to know what size the replacements should be as I can't find any info on bike or web. Bike manual lost many years ago. I would like to upgrade to disc brake forks, can you recommend a brand that will fit this bike.
Kindest regards ashes.javascript:emoticon(':?:')

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    one of these?
    73374942.jpg
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • yes thats the one.
  • nicklouse
    TBH I would not bother.

New fork, stem and headset and new wheels and disc brakes you may as well buy a new bike. and then the gear could well do with some work/replacement?

but it has a threaded headset and the steerer (it will need measuring to check) I guess will be 1 1/8"
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
  • would forks from a Claud Butler Alpine be compatable, as I might be able to get a scrapper.
    ashes.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    That CBR is 1" threaded, what is fitted to the alpine?

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • I think it's a RST Omega T7. With preload adjustment and 100mm travel on the alpine. but i'm not sure of thread size. would these fit in a cbr java???
    ashes.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Steerer type? threaded or ahead, length of steerer?

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • sorry I dont have full specifacations, hope someone else can answer that!
    ashes
  • nicklouse
    you will have to do some measuring.