Cycling in South of france

footstomper
footstomper Posts: 182
edited September 2011 in Tour & expedition
Hi All, I was hoping for a few suggetions regarding a base to stay in the South of France to enjoy 2 weeks of Cycling & Sightseeing.
I have already done the Bordeaux region which was fantastic but would like to try a different area.
The criteria would be:
Flat / Hilly / & a few very big climbs
Sun / Sun & more Sun (sick of this crappy english weather) :(
Lots of different Cultural places to visit
Village / Small Town #
Small Villa or Apartment #

# Not so bothered about these, we can arrange somewhere once we have decided on a Area.

Many Thanks in Advance.

Comments

• We did a weeks touring based at St Quentin la Poterie in Provence last autumn. There is a huge choice of routes from there and if you have a car you can get over to Mt Ventoux and the Cevennes. Quiet roads, hilltop villages, courteous drivers - we had a wondeful time. Highlight was a cycle out to the Pont du Gard an cycling across it - 2000 years old!
  • pneumatic
    pneumatic Posts: 1,989
    So many choices!

Given your criteria, I'd recommend:

Orange: lots of villages East of the town (Cotes du Rhone country) like Cairanne, Gigondas, Vaison la Romaine. Stunningly pretty, lots of culture and you are within striking distance of the Giant of Provence itself.

I've also cycled around Nimes (flat but not without a certain charm), Forcalquier (in the lower Alps) with some lush climbing interspersed with lavender fumed valleys, Cassis, Nice, Biot (the cote d'Azur), the coastal strip is all horribly crowded in high season, but some of the climbs up and away from the coast are sumptuous.

My friends tell me that France has got very expensive (I didn't go this year) but IMHO it is still the most beautiful, varied and pleasant country in Europe.

Fast and Bulbous
    Peregrinations
    Eddingtons: 80 (Metric); 60 (Imperial)

• jc4lab
    jc4lab Posts: 554
    Did the Luberon Cycle way ..Cavalion to Forcalquier or vice versa in Provence but stayed midway in Apt The routesSlopes up and then down with perched viilages en route that often need a tough short climb to get to them...As a slow short distance cyclist/photogrtapher found lots to satisfy as it links to some lavender cycling routes also(Lavender season is June-July) .In South France areas with gorges may be worth seeking out''..You could encircle the Gorges of Verdon for Example
    http://www.mayq.com/Best_european_trips ... n_Azur.htm
    jc
  • mmuk
    mmuk Posts: 398
    Rodez/Millau area - follow the Tarn for flat, or anywhere else for hills!

I booked a hotel in Rodaz for the start and finish of a weeks trip, and they collected me and bike/bag etc from the airport, and took me back at the end

If you want a long steep drag, the Cirque de Navacelles will deliver everything, with a cracking view, and a LONG, wide descent into Lodeve (first time to 55 mph with a full pannier load, and a stream of motorbikes behind me - fantastic!)

cheers MM