HRM with programmable zones

graemecook
graemecook Posts: 20
edited September 2011 in Road buying advice
can anyone recommend a heart rate monitor which allows you to set heart rate zones (say 8 different zones) and which, for a given workout, can tell you how long you've been in each zone? preferably a polar, preferably not too fancy.

ta,
Graeme

Comments

• i've been looking around since posting the above, and am quite surprised that i can't find one with the functions mentioned. I thought this would be a pretty basic thing. how do people use hrms as training aids in structured training programs? i'm thinking specifically of a program based on joe freil's ideas. Do all monitors rely on the user exporting the data to a computer, to manipulate to find out zone information? (if so, how do people do this?). Seems to me that most HRMs are too complicated, or do not allow users to set them up to meet their particular requirements. Any recommendations/advice would be most appreciated.

ta,
    graeme
  • sketchley
    sketchley Posts: 4,238
    My Garmin Edge 305 does what you ask. You can also set speed zones as well. There is either 8 or 10 zones to program via the training centre software. I suspect other Garmins do the same but can't confirm that.
    --
    Chris

Genesis Equilibrium - FCN 3/4/5
  • Are the zones you can set in training centre different than the ones you can set in garmin connect? By that I mean can you manually set the ranges of each zone, as opposed to in garmin conect where you can't as far as i'm aware. I have a look at this, thanks for the advice.
  • sketchley
    sketchley Posts: 4,238
    graemecook wrote:
    Are the zones you can set in training centre different than the ones you can set in garmin connect? By that I mean can you manually set the ranges of each zone, as opposed to in garmin conect where you can't as far as i'm aware. I have a look at this, thanks for the advice.

Yes got training centre open now. Go to user > profiles > click biking (i hope) then slect either

"Heart Rate" which has 5 HR zone to set plus max heart rate which can either be set as "BPM" or "% HR Reserve" min and max values (although max is min of the next zone)

"Speed" which has 10 zones to play with set by "MPH" or "/mi"

&
    "Power" which has 7 zones in "Watts" or "%ftp"

Once you do this you then need to send the profile to your device.

You can then use some the the training and workout options for things like interval training in certains zones etc.

Note all of this is based on edge305 I've not really used it myself but know that it's there.
    --
    Chris

Genesis Equilibrium - FCN 3/4/5
  • rafletcher
    rafletcher Posts: 1,235
    graemecook wrote:
    can anyone recommend a heart rate monitor which allows you to set heart rate zones (say 8 different zones) and which, for a given workout, can tell you how long you've been in each zone? preferably a polar, preferably not too fancy.

ta,
    Graeme
    "8 zones" and "not too fancy" (meaning cheap I'd guess) are mutually exclusive requirements. :Da
  • jswba
    jswba Posts: 491
    The Sigma ones at Ribble are pretty cheap, reliable and have programmable settings (but only three zones IIRC)
  • thanks for all these replys,
    particularly the training centre instructions, i'll give it a try
    by not too fancy i didn't mean cheap, i meant not crammed with loads of features i'd never use
    i don't mind if things are a bit dearer but work well and are durable,
    Some of those sigma HRMs look quite good, ta