Tyres for Snowdon

stuart99fx
stuart99fx Posts: 5
edited September 2011 in Routes
Going up Snowdon next week and can't decide on which rubber to go with ........

Are small block 8's a good choice for the uphill but bad on the way down ?
And if so what would be a good tyre or tyres to go with ?

Comments

• ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    Depends which route you're taking and on the weather. You'll probably end up killing yourself on small block 8's though, especially if you take the ranger's path down. I've not ridden it myself, but i hear there's a lot of loose rock etc up there, so you'll probably want something fairly tacky to get as much grip up there as you can, especially if it's wet (lets face it, it's north wales, it's gonna be wet), and you may want to go dual ply as well, so you're not as prone to punctures. I've walked up there, and rocky seriously isn't the word. I mean, it's ROCKY!! something like a dual ply super tacky minion or something.... depends if you don't mind spending the money or have some knocking about. I wouldn't do it on skinny XC tyres or small block 8's by any means! Forget the climbing, you're going to be pushing at least half of the way anyway, and snowdon is all about the descent.
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    Smallblock actually works superbly on rock- lots of contact area and the tyre's supple so really gloms on, despite the fairly hard rubber. But not the toughest and the sidewalls are a little exposed since there's no protruding knobs, so not ideal with some types of rock. (I'm assuming the 2.35 here, the 2.1's not half as good and isn't any faster)

Haven't ridden Snowdon so can't make a direct comment on that, but it's a great rear tyre for rocky conditions.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    Thing is, snowdon is more loose rock than anything, shale etc, not bedrock. I doubt small block 8's would be able to get much grip on it. And yeah, you need some real tough sidewalls.
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • Northwind
    On fines they're not be so hot but on anything bigger than a golfball they do really well. Better than my supertackies, sometimes... Just seem to spread the load better. (helps that the 2.35 is a genuine 2.35, same size as my Highroller 2.5, to be fair)

But personally I think I'd want more puncture protection, just because it'd be a total pain to do the climb then spoil the decent, not worth taking any risks with. They're not delicate tyres to be fair, but they're not tough either.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • Dirtydog11
    Dirtydog11 Posts: 1,621
    Small block 8s, that would be the equivalent of walking up in plimsoles.

I did the Llanberis path earlier this year with 2.2 Nobby Nic Snakeskins and it felt like one false move, bad line and the sidewalls would get torn to shreds.

The rocks are sharp , we're talking shards of rock . It's scree like (very loose) on the decent to Clogwyn, get too much speed up here and it's very difficult to slow down again.

I've since invested in a pair of Maxxis 2.5 Minion EXOs, on paper these tick all the right boxes.

I can't make any specific Tyre recommendations as we don't know what wheels/bike you own either way you should fit something that has a DH/aggressive tread pattern preferably with sidewall protection and make sure you carry a Tyre boot.

Are you aware of the voluntary agreement?

It has been agreed that between the hours of 10.00 am and 5 pm from 1st May to 30th September cyclists should not cycle on the Snowdon bridleways

TIP: You should time it so as you get to the peak an hour or so before sunset that way most of the walkers will be off the mountain and you should get a clear run down.
  • nonnac85
    nonnac85 Posts: 1,608
    I have just done Snowdon on my Kona hardtail - got Maxxis aardent on rear and ADvantage up front (the same tyres I use everywhere)!

Was great fun and the looks on the walkers / train passengers faces are hilarious!
    My Website - Trail Centre info for the UK: MTB Trail Time
  • BeaconRuth
    BeaconRuth Posts: 2,086
    nonnac85 wrote:
    Was great fun and the looks on the walkers / train passengers faces are hilarious!
    So did you ignore the voluntary agreement posted above by Dirtydog11? Or are there still trains running after 5pm? There certainly were no trains by 6pm a couple of weeks ago when I went up Snowdon on foot.

Ruth
  • Northwind
    Dirtydog11 wrote:
    Small block 8s, that would be the equivalent of walking up in plimsoles.

I did the Llanberis path earlier this year with 2.2 Nobby Nic Snakeskins and it felt like one false move, bad line and the sidewalls would get torn to shreds.

Smallblocks are a lot tougher than Nobby Nics though- it's the same carcass as you get on the Bluegrooves.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • Thanks for the comments guys

Were heading up the llanberis path and down ranger path .
    Bikewize it's an 09 trance

Only tried the SB 8's two weeks ago and can't believe the way they climb / roll so thought they'd make it soo much quicker . Assuming I survived the decent !!!
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    nonnac85 wrote:
    That's because bikes are banned during the hours the train run, no doubt.
  • Dirtydog11
    stuart99fx wrote:
    Thanks for the comments guys

Were heading up the llanberis path and down ranger path .
    Bikewize it's an 09 trance

Only tried the SB 8's two weeks ago and can't believe the way they climb / roll so thought they'd make it soo much quicker . Assuming I survived the decent !!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AZgoxhilGoY

Still sure about those tyres?
  • Dirtydog11 wrote:

That's sped up, surely?!
  • Hope you don't intend descending during the ban period!!? :?:
  • Dirtydog11
    Dirtydog11 wrote:

That's sped up, surely?!

According to the guy who posted it, it's not.

I have to say that after watching it a few times I believe him.

He must be running dual ply's to get away with that.
  • nonnac85
    nonnac85 Posts: 1,608
    So did you ignore the voluntary agreement posted above

No - it starts at 10am so I headed up around 7am, got to the top about 9ish and then rode down before the ban comes into effect. The first few trains were making their way up as I got near the bottom.
    My Website - Trail Centre info for the UK: MTB Trail Time
  • wow cool vid
    actualy first proper video i've seen of the decent , all the others seem to be cut and pasted together .

think i may need something a bit more nobbly if we're coming down that path !!
  • Dirtydog11
    stuart99fx wrote:
    wow cool vid
    actualy first proper video i've seen of the decent , all the others seem to be cut and pasted together .

think i may need something a bit more nobbly if we're coming down that path !!

Here's a HD one it's a little bit more sedate, but never the less!

The last 2-3 minutes is the return run along telegraph valley, I imagine this is the route you will be doing.

http://www.youtube.com/user/MrSwiss1973 ... K_paMHCt0w

Damm, I'm a little bit jealous.

Let us know how you get on.