Specialized Secteur 2011

tobiii95
tobiii95 Posts: 43
edited August 2011 in Road buying advice
Hi
I am 15 and looking to buy my first road bike. Next year i will be cycling to college which is about 3 miles away so not far but it will need to be strong-ish. So is teh Specialized Secteur 2011 a good idea?
Thanks

Comments

• I got a Sectuer Elite Apex as my first road bike last week and I love it - super comfortable (not for speed) and feels very well put together and strong. Only done 50 or so miles on it but I love it.
    I am a long way from 15 but would reccomend one to anyone - if you have any specific questions about it post them and I may be able to answer.
  • tobiii95
    tobiii95 Posts: 43
    Sounds good but why is it not for speed?
  • Well obviously the most important thing for speed is the rider ... but

Sectuers have the same frame geometry as Roubaixs and they are designed for a more upright position of the upper body and so you are less aerodynamic. The plus side is that it isn't so physically demanding particualrily on the lower back, neck and shoulders. For example I can be in the drops on mine and still see the road ahead by raising my eyes and keeping my neck in line with the rest of my spine. On a bike buily for speed the saddle will be higher than the handlebars so you are really low - the optimum flat back position the pros ride.

Mine is the Elite Apex and the chainrings are 50-34 teeth and the cassette 11-32 - I ride for fitness and fun on a pretty hilly area and have a long history of knee problems so that lower gearing overall and big span suits me great. If you think a bike optimised for speed would be more like 54-39 and 11-26 that's very different.

Check out the Specialized web site which has a guide where you answer questions and they suggest a bike to suit you. If comfort and longer endurance rides are what you want to do Sectuer is great but if it's speed that's more important and you don't mind a more demanding position and bike then I am sure all would agree there are better bikes.

Hope this helps and don't get me wrong I love my Sectuer but going fast never was my priority when choosing!