Llandegla Black Vs CYBs

bartiebat
bartiebat Posts: 97
edited October 2011 in Routes
Hiya, I've just done Degla black & have to say I'm really dissappointed I put it off for so long as I personally think Penmachno (graded red) was more challenging. Absolutely should have done it a long time ago, instead of worrying about a colour on signs!! How does it compare to CYBs blacks? I'm feeling super confident now but don't want to get eaten alive!! Cheers Karen :)

Comments

• Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I reckon coed y Brenin's a little more challenging, it's singletrack sections are rarely smooth trails, it's all wet rocks, huge roots, boulders and so on.
    Some people really struggle with it, others fly along it.

however, they are graded black because of the physical severity. You will be far more knackered after covering the same distance in coed y Brenin than in Llandegla, and after a complete lap of the Tarw, MBR, or Dragon's back, expect to be thoroughly wasted!
    (The Beast goes without saying).
  • jimpy
    jimpy Posts: 31
    agree with yeehaa. llandegla black is only black so the trail centre can tick every box.
    cyb seems to beat you up with its rocks and roots and in a different way penmachno does the same. for me, penmachno is the complete welsh mountain bike trail. it does everything a trail centre should do, but also manages to feel like a natural trail.
    i suspect it's some kind of witchcraft :wink:
  • Hehe

Riding rocks with speed takes practice, they become a nothing with some time and work. But if your not used to it comes as suprise.

But Llandegla is like a raked over sand pit, though i love the berms and jumps when im in a rip it mood :)
  • Anonymous
    The trouble with Llandegla is it always puts me firmly in a "brakes completely off, full speed ahead, no care in the world" mood.
    Then I go back to another trail, and almost always have a very close shave because of that Llandegla way of riding :lol:
  • omegas
    omegas Posts: 970
    Llandegla is that easy the new section from the back of the pump track (freeride) has been closed for 3 weeks with a view of not opening it again.
    The number of people getting severely hurt on their gave the centre no other option but to close it and are talking of bringing in the bulldozer.
  • omegas wrote:
    Llandegla is that easy the new section from the back of the pump track (freeride) has been closed for 3 weeks with a view of not opening it again.
    The number of people getting severely hurt on their gave the centre no other option but to close it and are talking of bringing in the bulldozer.

Thats partially idiots thinking there better than they are. First time i rode there i watched a mum and her two 6 year old kids riding the black, they were more of a danger to others than themselves moaning it was silly and so on.

Injuries can come on any peice of trail, the injuries at Degla are less to do with dificulty and more todo withthe sections being so fast and of the brakes people try and push as fast as they can and skid off, because to do anything else is really really boring.
  • tsenior
    tsenior Posts: 664
    "Thats partially idiots thinking there better than they are" that was me on the freeride area :lol:

yeeha and waylander are on the money: the set up of the place does encourage fast riding.....

rough or technical trails slow people down so the crashes tend to be a bit more slomo.

I dont know this for a fact but i suspect that alot of the cliental are regualrs and maybe dont do much riding outside the TC, this familiarity may result in a lack of caution.
  • Oooh bit scared again now then! So where would you say would be the next step up if CYBs black are going to kill me to close the gap? Or is one easier than the other?

Ta
    Kx
  • Anonymous
    Well, Einstein. How about trying one of the red graded trails there to get a taster of it.
    But, if you're still at the stage of wondering whether or not your abilities are up to it, chances are, they're not, really.
    If you could ride, you'd know it.
  • I've done all the reds there numerous times & also the Marin & Penmachno too. As I say I thought penmachno was much tougher than llandegla black (though never felt out of my depths) But as I farted about too long because I didn't think I was good enough, I dont want to do the same at CYB, but at the same time dont want to be out of my depths. Is one of the CYB blacks easier than the other?
  • Anonymous
    Cyb blacks are black mainly because of the physical endurance required.
  • Pretty much agree with everything being said. The CyB blacks are more knackering for sure than Llandegla.

I think that smoother and less natural trails seems to be the way a lot of places are going... the trails are very low maintenance once built and people do seem to like that "bike park" style of riding.

Slightly off topic but on a recent 6 week trip round Wales one of my highlights was Nant-yr-Arian trail centre. A great mixture of fast, smooth and flowing with technical rocks and tight switchbacks... a great and relatively quiet location. I'd check that one out if you can get down there.

My new website has loads of info on places to ride in Wales, I'd love it if you guys could check it out and let me know what you think - http://www.trailguru.co.uk/

Cheers,
    Kev
    www.trailguru.co.uk - The ultimate guide to mountain biking in Wales
  • Briggo
    Briggo Posts: 3,537
    Cyb blacks are black mainly because of the physical endurance required.

Indeed, CyB blacks certainly aint the most technical trail routes I've ridden on, they're all easily rideable / rollable.

Not to say they aint fun though, they do flow real nice ;)
  • darren555
    darren555 Posts: 194
    Had a great couple of days in CyB on Thurs and Fri. First time back this year.

WTF is that Adam & Eve section on the MBR though? I hope that isn't a sign of the direction they plan on taking. IMHO that sanitised stuff is fun & has it's place (Llandegla!) but is so out of character with the riding at Coedy.
  • Anonymous
    It is the way their trails are going, sadly.
  • Darren555 wrote:
    Had a great couple of days in CyB on Thurs and Fri. First time back this year.

WTF is that Adam & Eve section on the MBR though? I hope that isn't a sign of the direction they plan on taking. IMHO that sanitised stuff is fun & has it's place (Llandegla!) but is so out of character with the riding at Coedy.

Surprise, surprise A&E was made by the same company that did Llandegla

http://www.extremetrack.co.uk/gallery
  • pj101
    pj101 Posts: 31
    I live not too far from Llandegla so use it for a weekly evening blast. I feel it's a completely different prospect to CYB and reds/blacks bear no comparison.
    From what I've ridden at CYB, the only section I felt I wasn't really comfortable was Cain. I'm gonna have a few more outings up there before I tackle that section again.

I'd say give it a whirl but perhaps try a route without Cain first.

I now await a multitude of responses from people telling me how easy Cain is.... bring em on.
  • Anonymous
    I quite agree. Cain is definitely one of the tougher parts, along with "snap crackle and pop", on the Tarw trail, and one of the last bits of "Beginning of the end".
    What's worse is that they're thoroughly unpleasant places to fall off if you DO in fact come a cropper.
  • Thewaylander
    Thewaylander Posts: 8,594
    I quite agree. Cain is definitely one of the tougher parts, along with "snap crackle and pop", on the Tarw trail, and one of the last bits of "Beginning of the end".
    What's worse is that they're thoroughly unpleasant places to fall off if you DO in fact come a cropper.

Yeh last time i was on the Tarw at the end of pop was someone on a hired bike with no phone and a broken arm :s

Kinda didn't overly sorry for them to be honest either they were so badly prepared :(
  • Anonymous
    Badly prepared because they didn't have a phone? There's no bloody signal there anwyay.

It could be worse though, they could have a broken phone and no arms.
  • Thewaylander
    lol more no First aid kit, no real water supplies, or bike spares.

Just your average idiot
  • TheGeneralist
    TheGeneralist Posts: 99
    edited October 2011

Just your average idiot

Has it occurred to you that they might have been at CYB precisely because it partly negates the need for phone coverage, partners etc?
    When the missus was pregnant we'd go to places like Llandegla for two reasons: the routes were so easy that they posed little risk and bumping for a pregnant woman and if she did fall off and break then someone would be along soon after to take a message for me sat in the cafe.
  • Oh,and in response to the OP, Llandegla doesn't have a black trail. It has some bits that they mark as black but they clearly aren't.

Had such a brilliant day on Cut Gate at the weekend that once again I'm left wondering how purpose built trail centres like Llandegla can be so woeful. I mean, fair enough if they were built by accident, or were built for some other purpose, but to design and build something specifically for mountain bikes that compares so badly with a random bridleway across the northern peak is inexcusable.
  • Anonymous
    Maybe because they're fun for, you know, people who aren't stuck so far up their own sphincters that they check their own dental work.
    Llandegla isn't difficult, but it is a hell of a lot of fun.
  • Thewaylander

Just your average idiot

Has it occurred to you that they might have been at CYB precisely because it partly negates the need for phone coverage, partners etc?
    When the missus was pregnant we'd go to places like Llandegla for two reasons: the routes were so easy that they posed little risk and bumping for a pregnant woman and if she did fall off and break then someone would be along soon after to take a message for me sat in the cafe.

Sorry but doing anything that is potentially dangerous with out the safety gear on board is just idiotic.

People can forget thats cool, but never being prepared when you out riding even at a trail centre is asking for trouble because you know it will be the people who need it.

I have never used my medical kit on myself, but several groups of people have been patched up by myself and they have said Oh isn't that clever to have some first aid with you :s
  • Anonymous
    Wow, captain cautious to the rescue.
  • Thewaylander
    Simple first aid gear as outdoor sports is just sensible not cautious.

You can't argue with that surely? Radio 2 stated the other day that mountain biking is now statistically the most dangerous thing you can do causing the most hospital visit than anything.

And in terms of the amount of bumps scrapes and so on you can get very easily not being a little prepared seems just a bit foolish to me :s
  • Anonymous
    I've never seen anyone get in an accident that stopped them riding, that any first aid gear could help.
    What we do is dangerous, that's part of the fun.
  • welshkev
    welshkev Posts: 9,690
    Llandegla isn't difficult, but it is a hell of a lot of fun.

+ potato, i was a little dissapointed first time i stopped there. but i've ridden it 5 or 6 times now and it always puts a smile on my face - apart from the time my freehub broke and i couldn't pedal on the uphill bits :x
  • Posted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 2:26 pm Post subject:
    I've never seen anyone get in an accident that stopped them riding, that any first aid gear could help.

I'm generally in agreement with this. Very few of the serious injuries * I've seen could have been helped with a first aid kit any more that the stuff you'd have on you anyway. I think you're kidding yourself if you think a standard kit is going to make much difference to as a serious injury.

* broken foot
    hole in head
    dislocated knee
    broken rib
    broken pelvis