Poll - don't look at unless you've seen stage 11 results!

OffTheBackAdam
OffTheBackAdam Posts: 1,869
edited September 2011 in Pro race
As the options say, where will he figure in the papers? (Modal value!)
Remember that you are an Englishman and thus have won first prize in the lottery of life.

Comments

• ju5t1n
    ju5t1n Posts: 2,028
    Chris Froome got virtually zero column inches so Wiggins is likely to suffer the same fate. He needs to win it really - then the Sun might do a piece about scooters
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,588
    Depends on the paper I guess, I'm sure there'll be a decent article in the qualities but in the tabloids it will register (just) but only with the phrase "Olympic gold medallist".
  • cal_stewart
    cal_stewart Posts: 1,840
    mess up in a little box its transfer diedline day
    eating parmos since 1981

Canyon Ultimate CF SLX Aero 09
    Cervelo P5 EPS
    www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=40044&t=13038799
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,157
    It's football's transfer deadline day today. For the press, David Bentley going on loan to West Ham is a bigger story.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • verylonglegs
    verylonglegs Posts: 3,954
    RichN95 wrote:
    It's football's transfer deadline day today. For the press, David Bentley going on loan to West Ham is a bigger story.

Exactly what I thought when I read the first post! He should have had a good ride on a no news day for sport.
  • luckao
    luckao Posts: 632
    He could stop and hand a cheque to charity, sprint up the Angliru and then go on to win the race. Peter Crouch to Stoke is still more newsworthy. Football depresses me sometimes.
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 6,934
    No mention on the R5 'sports' (ie football) news on the way home from work.

Sadly the idiots who edit the sports pages and other media think that football is all anyone wants to hear about. There's barely a mention of the World Athletics Champs unless Ennis or Bolt are involved.
  • Crankbrother
    Crankbrother Posts: 1,695
    He'll be lucky if anyone reads about him while eating tneir chips ...
  • andyrac
    andyrac Posts: 1,132
    Luckao wrote:
    He could stop and hand a cheque to charity, sprint up the Angliru and then go on to win the race. Peter Crouch to Stoke is still more newsworthy. Football depresses me sometimes.

As someone who used to love the game - I truly despise the sport nowadays. It rides roughshod over everything - even England thumping India and getting No1 didn't get great coverage.
    What I found sad, was after the Eurosport coverage finished, I switched over to Sky Sports News, waited and waited for anything about the Sky team holding a 1-2 in a GT......
    All Road/ Gravel: tbcWinter: tbcMTB: tbcRoad: tbc"Look at the time...." "he's fallen like an old lady on a cruise ship..."
  • acidstrato
    acidstrato Posts: 945
    option E - No mention at all

it might make it into a sun as Cav usually gets in there because of his misses.
    Also guardian do mention big cycling news every now and again so its a possibility
    Crafted in Italy apparantly
  • Tusher
    Tusher Posts: 2,762
    Deeply depressing.

Football, football, ruddy football.
  • dougzz
    dougzz Posts: 1,833
    When I go into the canteen at work tomorrow they'll be up to 15 people there at a time from a selection of around 80. I'd say there's a reasonable cross section of people, Male and Female, French, Spanish, Swedish, DRC, London born West Indians, Russian and German to name but several. The topics of conversation will be Big Brother, Football, Coronation Street and who Katie Price is shagging.
    Who care if no one else likes cycling. There's plenty on info on the net. If the tabloids really gave coverage to today's stage in depth do you think it would be worth reading?
  • verylonglegs
    verylonglegs Posts: 3,954
    dougzz wrote:
    When I go into the canteen at work tomorrow they'll be up to 15 people there at a time from a selection of around 80. I'd say there's a reasonable cross section of people, Male and Female, French, Spanish, Swedish, DRC, London born West Indians, Russian and German to name but several. The topics of conversation will be Big Brother, Football, Coronation Street and who Katie Price is shagging.
    Who care if no one else likes cycling. There's plenty on info on the net. If the tabloids really gave coverage to today's stage in depth do you think it would be worth reading?

Interesting perspective that, given the over-hyped facile coverage football gets why are cycling fans so keen to see their sport end up with the same status in media coverage as football anyway? I've been a football and a cycling fan for years and quite enjoy the lack of bs I'm confronted with when following the cycling.
  • eh
    eh Posts: 4,854
    Yeah I'd rather cycling avoided going down the same route as football where now the soap opera around it is more important than the matches. Thankfully cycling still produces brilliant stories now and again, coupled with a rich history.
  • Tusher
    That's an excellent point, verylonglegs. But I feel there's a sense of injustice in the lack of coverage in the mainstream media, and that rankles with me.

There's still a bit of me that sees the internet as a minor miracle (and I was the first person in my village to go on line in 1993) and I rejoiced at the weekly coverage in The Comic and was grateful for Channel 4.

As more follow the sport, it seems only right that it should receive greater coverage in the press and on TV.

But we're not alone. My other passion (fishing) is the major outdoor hobby in this country, More people fish than golf, kick a ball around, or even run. And the TV coverage is virtually zero.

Sailing/boating's the same. Huge numbers of participants, from all age groups and all socio-economic groups, (I had a methadone patient request another appointment as he was taking his boat out for a week. This is a man, aged 40, who has never done a day's work in his life, and lives on benefits.) Racing, recreation, exploration, pretty pictures- it would surely be worthy of a weekly, prime time slot, you would think. TV coverage? about the same as fishing.

I don't think that the media in this country accurately reflect the activities of the population.

Still, Ned and Matt have been successful in beating this into the heads of ITV4 and although it's funded on a shoe-string, at least we have coverage of the Vuelta this year. Hopefully, it can only increase.

End of rant.
  • andyrac
    andyrac Posts: 1,132
    The only thing i would say is that in theory, the greater coverage a sport gets, the more likely it is to find sponsors and other ways of finding money - as more people are taking an interest.
    All Road/ Gravel: tbcWinter: tbcMTB: tbcRoad: tbc"Look at the time...." "he's fallen like an old lady on a cruise ship..."
  • Tusher
    Andy. you've summed up in two lines what I was sort of trying to say.
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    This list is sorted by time so most of the recent articles are from abroad (i.e. overnight here) but you can find quite quickly what the british papers are saying
  • Last item on BBC sports news behind Laura Robson losing her girlie hardcourt tennis match.
    Still, at least they borrowed a few moving pictures from ITV.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,157
    Last item on BBC sports news behind Laura Robson losing her girlie hardcourt tennis match.

The Radio 5 sports bullitin managed to include GB losing at basketball and a jockey (not a well known one) breaking her ankle. No Wiggins though.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • MrTapir
    MrTapir Posts: 1,206
    Here's the guardian sports page online this morning

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport

I voted for front page of the sports section as yesterday the guardian had breaking news flash that Wiggo was in red, this morning, tiny box at the bottom. Oh well.

I would have expected sky sports news to be a bit more celebratory of their team having two guys at the top though. Poor show.
  • AndyRAC wrote:
    The only thing i would say is that in theory, the greater coverage a sport gets, the more likely it is to find sponsors and other ways of finding money - as more people are taking an interest.

That’s fair enough up to a point but there is a danger the race for exposure takes over everything. Look at how the weekly football fixtures have changed to meet such demands, a 3pm ko on a Saturday is a rare beast for fans of the top clubs as times are changed for various markets, the 12.45 game on a Saturday lunchtime is for the asia market for example. Even the Spanish league has gone down this route with a Sunday 11am fixture to benefit Asian audiences. UEFA cup is now on a Thursday pushing all those clubs to play on a Sunday.

The money men are never interested in tradition, how would you feel if sponsorship and interest abroad dictated Paris-Roubaix started at 7am or generated bizarre ideas to make it more appealing to the masses. I’m thinking of T20 cricket…described as cricket designed for people who don’t actually like cricket! Sounds extreme I know but it starts somewhere.
  • RichN95 wrote:
    The Radio 5 sports bullitin managed to include GB losing at basketball and a jockey (not a well known one) breaking her ankle. No Wiggins though.

That just about somes it up. Us Brits are more interested in a loser or bad luck, so Wiggins and Froome sitting 1st and 2nd at a Grand Tour outside of the TDF does not sit well.

Cycling is getting there but it will take time and like someone else said we don't want the sport to be dictated by the media like football and cricket are. When I started watching cycling Channel 4 use to have 30 minute highlight shows for the Tour and Kellogg's. Now on ITV4 we have extensive live coverage and an hour long highlights show for the Tour, live coverage and highlights for the Vuelta, hour long highlights for TOB, Tour of California, Tour Series, highlights of Paris Roubaix (which will hopefully improve next year) and the BBC show the Worlds and Track cycling so it has come a long way.
  • sketchley
    sketchley Posts: 4,238
    AndyRAC wrote:

That’s fair enough up to a point but there is a danger the race for exposure takes over everything. Look at how the weekly football fixtures have changed to meet such demands, a 3pm ko on a Saturday is a rare beast for fans of the top clubs as times are changed for various markets, the 12.45 game on a Saturday lunchtime is for the asia market for example. Even the Spanish league has gone down this route with a Sunday 11am fixture to benefit Asian audiences. UEFA cup is now on a Thursday pushing all those clubs to play on a Sunday.

The money men are never interested in tradition, how would you feel if sponsorship and interest abroad dictated Paris-Roubaix started at 7am or generated bizarre ideas to make it more appealing to the masses. I’m thinking of T20 cricket…described as cricket designed for people who don’t actually like cricket! Sounds extreme I know but it starts somewhere.

The ban on the football 3pm kick off being on TV is so that smaller clubs in lower leagues don't loose their supporters to the pub to watch the 'bigger' game live. Nothing to do with "other markets". Not a money thing at all really as there would be a lot of sponsorship money in showing top flight football live at 3pm on Saturday. The FA don't allow it in order to support the smaller clubs which is pretty sensible if you ask me.
    --
    Chris

Genesis Equilibrium - FCN 3/4/5
  • RichN95 wrote:

That just about somes it up. Us Brits are more interested in a loser or bad luck, so Wiggins and Froome sitting 1st and 2nd at a Grand Tour outside of the TDF does not sit well.

This has more to do with the Beeb being the home broadcaster of the olympics and less to do with "being interested in losers". GB Basketball have struggled to be assured of an olympic place. They have it - just, but they are aiming to show they can compete at eurobasket. They also had a feature on the BBC Test events programme.

Also as a broadcaster priced out of other sports they are actually showing euro basket via red button:
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/basketball/14740720.stm
    Watch GB v Turkey on Thursday 1 September live on the BBC Red Button and bbc.co.uk/sport from 1545 BST.

While I agree all broadcasters should be aware of the mass increase in cycling's popularity, some people here will be moaning when it's mainstream.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,738
    Was mentioned high up the order on 5 live news.
  • Sketchley wrote:
    AndyRAC wrote:

The ban on the football 3pm kick off being on TV is so that smaller clubs in lower leagues don't loose their supporters to the pub to watch the 'bigger' game live. Nothing to do with "other markets". Not a money thing at all really as there would be a lot of sponsorship money in showing top flight football live at 3pm on Saturday. The FA don't allow it in order to support the smaller clubs which is pretty sensible if you ask me.

Eh? I think you’ve mis-understood, I said games were moved away from 3pm to make money from tv, therefore the attending supporters have to work around different ko times. You seem to be making a different point.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,588
    RichN95 wrote:
    Last item on BBC sports news behind Laura Robson losing her girlie hardcourt tennis match.

I heard two sports bulletins on my way home last night. Nothing on the first but a very brief mention on the second.
  • mouth
    mouth Posts: 1,195
    I've been trying to follow the Vuelta on the BBC website using my phone and have basically just given up. I check here instead now. Tour coverage wasn't too bad, but when you consider that the three GT's are probably the most important bike races in the world the Giro and the Vuelta have had virtually zero coverage. However, finding the score for when Histon Town played a bunch of part time plumbers is never a problem...........
    The only disability in life is a poor attitude.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,738
    Mouth wrote:
    I've been trying to follow the Vuelta on the BBC website using my phone and have basically just given up. I check here instead now. Tour coverage wasn't too bad, but when you consider that the three GT's are probably the most important bike races in the world the Giro and the Vuelta have had virtually zero coverage. However, finding the score for when Histon Town played a bunch of part time plumbers is never a problem...........

Histon FC....

My god, I can't tell you how local that team was when I was growing up.