Whyte 46 - Big Gripper / rear mech alighnment

gtr mart
gtr mart Posts: 176
edited August 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi

Been a while since I last posted on here. So firstly, Hello.

I Have recently bought a 2nd hand bike and was after some advice from anyone with knowledge of the Whyte 46.

Its a 2006 model with the roco rc rear shock and maverick DUC 32 front fork. The bike has XT gearset and when it was transported, the rear mech was removed from the frame but still connected to the cables. I put it all together and the gears at first glance seemed out of alignment. I spent some time on Sheldon brown, Youtube and here and then had a good look at the bike last night to try and tweek the adjusters. The first check is always to confirm the mech is straight which I did, and think this could be the cause of the problem.

The jockey wheels are in line with each other and the cage looks fine, but the jockey wheels look to be on an angle to the cassette. This bike has a big gripper and QR axle arrangement which I am not overly familiar with and wondered if people had experianced this before and if it is a straightforward fix - or if on this bike it could result in a more significant problem.

It may not be related, but the front mech looks also to be well out, with significant chain rub in both the big ring and granny gear.

Thoughts and advice would be much appreciated. Intending to take the bike to my LBS later this week but if I can avoid spending hard earned and sort it myself would be much happier.

Thanks
Martin

Comments