THE toughest climb you ever rode and how did you fare ?

Comments

• I've got to give Hardknott a go at some point as the Lakes are less than 2 hours away from Durham. I've driven over Hardknott pass a few times - pretty easy in a car tbh, and watched cyclists struggling up. Does it get that steep that it just becomes impossible to ride at all?

dodgy wrote:
    Does it get that steep that it just becomes impossible to ride at all?

Some people have to walk it, either due to lack of experience/fitness or gears. But lots of people scoot straight up it.

Personally, I think it's a real test.

Think you would struggle with the average 11-25 cassette. It hits 30% a few times. Think most that do it, do it in the lowest you can get probably with a super granny above 25T. Cant remember if the hardest side is the East or West. Driving it I went over from Eskdale in the East and it was steep - if you meet someone on the way down as your going up its real clutch burner. Its almost a tarmac path.

Not sure in which world 25t is normal and anything above is 'super granny'.
  • elderone
    elderone Posts: 1,410
    On this forum it,s a fact you are not a "real cyclist" unless you can do hardknott on at least a 23.Any thing above that is just for pussies. Must be lots of bored pro,s on here waiting for sky to knock.
    In reality use what ever it takes to get up that hill.
    Dulce et decorum est Pro patria mori
  • what is a TOUGH climb? For me it's one that it's tough no matter what bicycle or gears you've got.
    :mrgreen: For me, that means pretty much anything then. Seriously though, anything above about 8% for more than a couple of hundred metres (distance, not height) and I struggle. I've got plenty of nasty steep but short climbs. But I've got a Trek Domane 2 with a triple, so I must be a wuss. ;-) Some roads are just too steep to keep the front wheel down or the back wheel gripping. There's one very short steep hill I do where I struggle. Lean forward to keep the front wheel down and the back wheel loses traction, even in the dry.
    SecretSam wrote:
    I'm working in Kendal and it's pretty lumpy from what I've seen!!!
    Indeed :lol:
    Have you got a bike with you whilst you're here? If you do, here's some route suggestions that take in a few good hills.

Head west to Brigsteer or Underbarrow for a good climb straight up the hill from the town hall, then loop round and do the other hill of the two from the other direction (http://www.strava.com/routes/89479 or the opposite direction - my favourite route when I'm pressed for time). I don't think Strava's elevation data captures how steep some of the bends are. Going up from Brigsteer, the haripins are steep, and the last bit from the left bend just before the church always gets me - mentally the turning for the church is the top of the hill, but there's still a hundred feet of climbing to go. On the climb from Underbarrow, its the last right hand bend where the road ramps up again that never gets easier. And the climb up to totter bank from either direction is a short little bugger. The blast along the Lyth valley is great though. The descents are just as tricky with the road surfaces.

Or head east up the old Sedbergh road (joins sustrans route 70 halfway up) to Fisher Tarn Reservoir, then loop round along the Sedbergh road and do it again (http://www.strava.com/routes/89483). Short but tough, particularly the bit just by the railway bridge and where it crosses paddy lane. The bit beyond paddy lane is deceptively steep.

All of those hills, bar the climb from the town hall towards Brigsteer, had me off the first time I tried. A real feeling of acheivement as I conquered each.

Then there's the climb up the A6 to Shap - a good climb of 30 minutes to an hour depending on fitness (~45 minutes for me) but no really steep bits. It might hit ~10% towards Selside and on the final climb towards the summit. Its a road built for much higher traffic levels than it gets. So there's loads of room and the surface is pretty good. I would not recommend the other northward road towards Tebay - its fine for coming down when you're at a similar speed to the cars. But going up, its narrow, twisty and the cars fly along.

My favourite route is to head out to Kirkby Lonsdale through Old Hutton, then down through Whittington and Arkholme towards Carnforth, then back up through Burton & Milnthorpe - there's loads of variations based on that route of 25 miles to 50+ (http://www.strava.com/routes/89495). And the traffic is remarkably light. In the 10 miles from Kendal to Kirkby, I'll usually see 3 or 4 cars and a tractor, whilst the Lune valley road might be dozen cars by the time I've got to Nether Kellet. There's no really nasty hills - the climb up to Oxenholme station at the start is the worst.

I avoid the lakes themselves - the road to Windermere & Ambleside is just not safe.
  • Mine is not quite so exotic, the most challenging climb for me in the area I cycle in is Bexleyhill, near Midhurst, from the north side http://www.strava.com/segments/689571. It is a sort of sneaky one because it starts off all nice and gentle and unassuming, up through woods and past a couple of cottages and you think you're getting near the top and how wonderful things are, then you come round a bend and suddenly it rears up. There is a rather good run down the other side into Midhurst to look forward to.
  • I've got to give Hardknott a go at some point as the Lakes are less than 2 hours away from Durham. I've driven over Hardknott pass a few times - pretty easy in a car tbh, and watched cyclists struggling up. Does it get that steep that it just becomes impossible to ride at all?

dodgy wrote:
    Does it get that steep that it just becomes impossible to ride at all?

Some people have to walk it, either due to lack of experience/fitness or gears. But lots of people scoot straight up it.

Personally, I think it's a real test.

Think you would struggle with the average 11-25 cassette. It hits 30% a few times. Think most that do it, do it in the lowest you can get probably with a super granny above 25T. Cant remember if the hardest side is the East or West. Driving it I went over from Eskdale in the East and it was steep - if you meet someone on the way down as your going up its real clutch burner. Its almost a tarmac path.

Not sure in which world 25t is normal and anything above is 'super granny'.

Until not so long ago there were no compacts and 28 (+) cogs and triples were for tourers. I'm not saying that I could get up Hardknott tomorrow on 39x21 or 39x23, let alone 42x18, but to pretend that it's impossible to abide without the aforementioned gearing is to be profoundly ignorant of cycling and its heritage. Having granny gears may make some people think less of you, but it's only a hobby. ;)
  • thegibdog wrote:
    nammynake wrote:
    I did Great Dun Fell in May - loved it, but wouldn't have classed it as particularly tough.
    You must've had a nice tailwind. :)

Not at all, although the wind was very light so that surely helped. Apart from a couple of steep sections I found it OK - just settled in a low gear (34-27) and spun the legs. I'm not saying it was easy - it was a long climb (around 40 minutes IIRC) but nowhere near the lung-bursting difficult of Hardknott.
  • My toughest so far would probably be Los Lagos de Covadonga http://www.strava.com/segments/3242556 although I climbed El Fito the other day and the final 4km was 12% virtually all the way which was tough.
    Next year I'll attempt the L'Angliru but I'm not too optimistic about my chances http://www.strava.com/segments/738025 . http://bikeasturias.wordpress.com/climb ... liru-climb
    M
  • Until not so long ago there were no compacts and 28 (+) cogs and triples were for tourers. I'm not saying that I could get up Hardknott tomorrow on 39x21 or 39x23, let alone 42x18, but to pretend that it's impossible to abide without the aforementioned gearing is to be profoundly ignorant of cycling and its heritage. Having granny gears may make some people think less of you, but it's only a hobby. ;)

But we are not "long ago" now; and 34/28 is entirely normal for a road bike. To say otherwise is living in the past.
  • Until not so long ago there were no compacts and 28 (+) cogs and triples were for tourers. I'm not saying that I could get up Hardknott tomorrow on 39x21 or 39x23, let alone 42x18, but to pretend that it's impossible to abide without the aforementioned gearing is to be profoundly ignorant of cycling and its heritage. Having granny gears may make some people think less of you, but it's only a hobby. ;)

But we are not "long ago" now; and 34/28 is entirely normal for a road bike. To say otherwise is living in the past.

The '90s isn't exactly the distant past by my definition, but that isn't the point, is it? The fact that easy gears are readily available and acceptable doesn't make them a necessity or the standard. 28t is a low gear (particularly if you have a compact); they don't get much lower. Having 'granny' or 'bailout' gears isn't something to be ashamed of.
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,746
    Forest route up Ventoux, combines distance, gradient and in places a surface of aninch or more of loose stones.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • Iv'e not done any major climbs of note yet and my hardest will probably be a pimple to most on here but i done the Trough of Bowland and that was tough for me i just about got up without doing the walk of shame.
  • Initialised
    Initialised Posts: 3,047
    Can't decide between Chapel Fell and Cairngorm

Taken on their own the climbs in the North Pennines are pretty tough, string them together for 100 miles and it gets brutal. Still, signed up for next year already. Will do better!
    I used to just ride my bike to work but now I find myself going out looking for bigger and bigger hills.
  • richk
    richk Posts: 564
    Ankerdine in Worcestershire. It comes 30 miles into the LMTT. Only done it once so far & I seriusly wanted to get off half way up. However, there were 3 specttors from a different bike club watching & it was only the shame that I'd have brought on the club that kept me going to the top :D
    There is no secret ingredient...
  • The only hill climb of note I have attempted thus far is The Corkscrew from Church Stretton to Cardington in Shropshire. I cannot comment on my performance but I rode to the top, and thats good enough for me.
  • Monte Baldo italy , 6500ft , 16miles , 1hour 30 minutes i was f**ked but enjoyed every minute.
    last month wilier gt -this month ? bh rc1
  • Guanajuato wrote:
    what is a TOUGH climb? For me it's one that it's tough no matter what bicycle or gears you've got.
    :mrgreen: For me, that means pretty much anything then. Seriously though, anything above about 8% for more than a couple of hundred metres (distance, not height) and I struggle. I've got plenty of nasty steep but short climbs. But I've got a Trek Domane 2 with a triple, so I must be a wuss. ;-) Some roads are just too steep to keep the front wheel down or the back wheel gripping. There's one very short steep hill I do where I struggle. Lean forward to keep the front wheel down and the back wheel loses traction, even in the dry.
    SecretSam wrote:
    I'm working in Kendal and it's pretty lumpy from what I've seen!!!
    Indeed :lol:
    Have you got a bike with you whilst you're here? If you do, here's some route suggestions that take in a few good hills...

...head east up the old Sedbergh road (joins sustrans route 70 halfway up) to Fisher Tarn Reservoir, then loop round along the Sedbergh road and do it again (http://www.strava.com/routes/89483). Short but tough, particularly the bit just by the railway bridge and where it crosses paddy lane. The bit beyond paddy lane is deceptively steep...

...My favourite route is to head out to Kirkby Lonsdale through Old Hutton, then down through Whittington and Arkholme towards Carnforth, then back up through Burton & Milnthorpe - there's loads of variations based on that route of 25 miles to 50+ (http://www.strava.com/routes/89495). And the traffic is remarkably light. In the 10 miles from Kendal to Kirkby, I'll usually see 3 or 4 cars and a tractor, whilst the Lune valley road might be dozen cars by the time I've got to Nether Kellet. There's no really nasty hills - the climb up to Oxenholme station at the start is the worst.

I avoid the lakes themselves - the road to Windermere & Ambleside is just not safe.

That's my commute Guan! It's not too bad, especially if you can go over the tops at Ings and drop into Troutbeck Bridge by the Sun Inn (that IS a steep road!). I manage to avoid the A591 on my Oxenholme to Ambleside commute
    until this point, by going through Burneside, Bowston, Staveley and then cycle paths until pretty much Brockhole. Anyway I digress.
    There is a short(ish) sharp beast of a climb that features on a local Sportive (the Tour De Staveley), Fell Foot Brow, that had me off the first time I tried it, but I went back in the following weeks and managed it slowly and steadily, and on a 39/25 as well.
    Another local killer is the climb up Barbondale from Dent side, a very steep ascent (and scary descent from the Kirkby Lonsdale side), and a little further down the valley is Kingsdale, which is bad enough without having to come across gates that need to be opened (2 of them).
    I'm applying for the Fred Whitton for next year, so these will be my training ground if I get in.
  • Toughest one for me was the Lysebotn road in Norway. Amazing road that clings to the side of the Lysefjord, with more hairpins than Alpe d'Huez and the average gradient is around 10%, with first part lasting 9.5 km, then a small descent before the top for 15km total.

Did it at the start of September with a friend who lives in Stavanger. Safe to say I could have done a better time having been back the bike on the bike for 2 weeks after 7 weeks off, but it wasn't as hard as I'd thought it would be. Definitely have no fear of climbs like the Bwlch or Rhigos now.

Bit of a mission to get there, 4 am start, as it is at the top end of the fjord- which you have to take a ferry too,and there is no chance of getting in to a rhythm before starting going up. It was part of a 120km route for us, working our way back to the car, with a few smaller climbs along the way.
  • Hard Knott pass at 6am in the morning on the coast to coast in a day ride. Rode it with a compact too, my foot didnt hit the tarmac until i reached the summit! Turns out my 17 y/o mind can put up with more pain than expected...
    Check out my blog for my views and reviews: http://memylifeandmybike.blogspot.co.uk/
  • phreak
    phreak Posts: 2,910
    Would have to be the Mortirolo. Was in the middle of a 175km granfondo, so had done 110km already, which included climbing the Gavia. To cap it off it was absolutely baking hot that day.

I'm about 57kg so am usually ok on the climbs, but getting up the Mortirolo was a complete pig. I can't remember how long it took but it was a very slow grind, with sweat piling up due to the snail like pace.

I guess what summed it up was that they had a drink stop just after the Pantani memorial, despite there being one at the bottom and top of the climb. Got through a serious amount of water.

The Gavia before it was a beautiful climb, with some absolutely stunning views to keep you going up to the top. The Mortirolo has none of that, it's just you against this wall emerging in front of you, with trees blocking any thought of escape.

Certainly one to tick off the list, and in that sense I'm glad I've done it, but of all the European climbs, that was probably the only one I don't look back on fondly.
  • unixnerd
    unixnerd Posts: 2,864
    Time trial up Cairngorm Mountain, it's one thing to cycle up it but another to race! Was 4th in the local event and dead chuffed. But when the club cyclists came for a nationally advertised TT I was about 45 or 50 out of 70. Some of those lads (most younger than me of course!) are super fit.
    http://www.strathspey.co.uk - Quality Binoculars at a Sensible Price.
    Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert 2012, Cannondale CAAD5,
    Marin Mount Vision (1997), Edinburgh Country tourer, 3 cats!
  • unixnerd wrote:
    Time trial up Cairngorm Mountain, it's one thing to cycle up it but another to race! Was 4th in the local event and dead chuffed. But when the club cyclists came for a nationally advertised TT I was about 45 or 50 out of 70. Some of those lads (most younger than me of course!) are super fit.

As there are no controls, I would expect some to be well stuffed too... :twisted:
    left the forum March 2023
  • anto164
    anto164 Posts: 3,500
    Tbh, i've ridden many a climb, but this seemed one of the toughest climbs i've done...

Prenteg hill (did OK, apart from the last very steep bit)
    http://www.strava.com/activities/77774721#1564216946

Followed by the climb up penmachno up to ffestiniog. (powered up OK, straight forwards but steep and long)
    http://www.strava.com/activities/77774721#1564216891
  • Peddle Up!
    Peddle Up! Posts: 2,040
    RichK wrote:
    Ankerdine in Worcestershire. It comes 30 miles into the LMTT. Only done it once so far & I seriusly wanted to get off half way up. However, there were 3 specttors from a different bike club watching & it was only the shame that I'd have brought on the club that kept me going to the top :D

I'm not familiar with Ankerdine so I thought I'd look it up as I'm not too far away. It looks nasty, especially as it kicks up towards the top. This video give a nice feel of the challenge. :?
    Purveyor of "up" :)
  • That's my commute Guan!
    Chapeau! ;-) The very definition of 'Lumpy'.
    You'll know the little but steep hill I'm on about with slipping or wheelying - Mealbank up to Paddy Lane. Probably just down to my crap technique. :oops:
    There is a short(ish) sharp beast of a climb that features on a local Sportive (the Tour De Staveley), Fell Foot Brow, that had me off the first time I tried it, but I went back in the following weeks and managed it slowly and steadily, and on a 39/25 as well.
    I'm psyching myself up for an attempt on that. I think the first bit up to where it opens out will be the hardest, but the bit beyond the Gummers How car park will be tough too. Psychologically, the car park is the top of the hill. Quite where the downhill section of the climb on the Strava elevation data is I'm not too sure. OS has 186m in 1.5km.
    The Tour de Staveley always seems to clash with other things, as it looks a really nice route. Apart from Fell foot, nothing that looks too hard for those of us carrying a spare tyre.
    Have you conquered Tow Top between Whitherslack & Cartmel? ~150m in ~1km. Hard enough going down that one. Potholes to lose your bike in, just to add to the challenge. :mrgreen:
    I'm realistic enough to know the Fred is WAY beyond me.
  • Only been cycling about 1.5 years, and the toughest climb I've tackled is Cairn o Mount (south side) which came about 45 miles into a century ride. For those that don't know it it's 2.1 miles long with an average gradient of 9.5% (according to strava) but it peaks at around 16-20% right at the start and end of the climb.

http://www.strava.com/segments/620890
    The first time I did that I saw the signs showing the distance to the car park and thought that was for the summit, but sadly not, the summit is about 0.25-0.5 miles passed the car park.

I managed to reach the summit without having to stop, but the 25c temperature didn't make it easy!
    Managed to break into the top 10% of riders on strava, currently sitting at 33/410. Well happy with that, and aim to try again next year.

* edit, did the north side in the same century ride (from Strachan) ... there's a tough section through trees on that side, but overall it's easier - though not easy by any stretch.
  • unixnerd
    unixnerd Posts: 2,864
    This is a good one for those fancying a challenge next year http://3pistescycle.co.uk/
    If my recently broken wrist recovers enough by then I may do it myself. Highlights include:

The very steep brae from Pitlochry above Moulin
    Glenshee
    Glen Gairn / Gairnshiel
    The Lecht (from the south, the hard way)
    Bridge of Brown (short but very steep, and I think one of the ten highest roads in Scotland?)
    Cairngorm ski road
    http://www.strathspey.co.uk - Quality Binoculars at a Sensible Price.
    Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert 2012, Cannondale CAAD5,
    Marin Mount Vision (1997), Edinburgh Country tourer, 3 cats!
  • Guanajuato wrote:
    That's my commute Guan!
    Chapeau! ;-) The very definition of 'Lumpy'.
    You'll know the little but steep hill I'm on about with slipping or wheelying - Mealbank up to Paddy Lane. Probably just down to my crap technique. :oops:
    I'm psyching myself up for an attempt on that. I think the first bit up to where it opens out will be the hardest, but the bit beyond the Gummers How car park will be tough too. Psychologically, the car park is the top of the hill. Quite where the downhill section of the climb on the Strava elevation data is I'm not too sure. OS has 186m in 1.5km.
    The Tour de Staveley always seems to clash with other things, as it looks a really nice route. Apart from Fell foot, nothing that looks too hard for those of us carrying a spare tyre.
    Have you conquered Tow Top between Whitherslack & Cartmel? ~150m in ~1km. Hard enough going down that one. Potholes to lose your bike in, just to add to the challenge. :mrgreen:
    I'm realistic enough to know the Fred is WAY beyond me.

Yes Guanajuato, Tow Top Road is also on the Tour De Staveley, thankfully not that far into it, so you're relatively fresh. Fell Foot Brow comes three quarters of the way through, and there's an option to divert up what they call the 'Strada Bianchi', ie a gravel path through the wood that is longer but less steep. I tried this route this year after doing Fell Foot Brow last time, but I was so nervous about coming off or having a p******e that I wished I'd stayed on the tarmac. The TdS also has a few more little short sharp climbs as well as those listed, but as it's only about 50 mles, it's not too overwhelming - I'd thoroughly recommend it, there is a free meal and drinks (and it's Hawkshead brewery free drinks, not a single cup of tea or coffee), and there's the highlights of that days Tour De France stage on big screens to recover with.
    Yes I know that climb out of Mealbank to the Appleby Road - little bit naughty when you're not expecting it!

One of my regular 'out-for-a-few-hours-not-all-day' routes is on the back road to Kirkby Lonsdale (I'm in Oxenholme so easy for me to get to), from KL over Barbondale, down to the Dent road, into Sedbergh, left towards Kendal but turn off up Firbank, it then kicks up under the M6 road bridge/West Coast railway bridge to the top of the hill overlooking Tebay, then back into town on the Appleby Road. A Few nice steady climbs in there.
  • Was talking to someone at the weekend who's a very strong rider, owns a bike shop, rides 20 miles there and back every day, 100+ on weekends, and he said that doing the Fred Whitton was the worst time he'd ever had on a bike!
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    The hardest climbs I've ever done are always in Wales. Not massively long - but its the gradient that gets you.
    The old Bwlch by Vyrnwy, Methodist Hill by Llangollen - all buggers.

By comparison - Alpe d'Huez and the Stelvio are pussycats.
  • One of my regular 'out-for-a-few-hours-not-all-day' routes is on the back road to Kirkby Lonsdale (I'm in Oxenholme so easy for me to get to), from KL over Barbondale, down to the Dent road, into Sedbergh, left towards Kendal but turn off up Firbank, it then kicks up under the M6 road bridge/West Coast railway bridge to the top of the hill overlooking Tebay, then back into town on the Appleby Road. A Few nice steady climbs in there.
    I've yet to get out through Barbon. It was on the route of the Kendal Spring Classic this year, but I couldn't make the rearranged date. I've done the rest of that loop though, through Killington, and Its a cracking ride. The climb up from the old railway viaduct/M6/West Coast to the Appleby road is a bit of a bugger!
    Starting at Oxenholme on the way to Kirkby is cheating. :mrgreen: