THE toughest climb you ever rode and how did you fare ?

Comments

• Peddle Up!
    Peddle Up! Posts: 2,040
    It might be a good time to ask some of the more experienced riders for some tips on tackling these kind of climbs. Thanks.
    Purveyor of "up" :)
  • Peddle Up! wrote:
    It might be a good time to ask some of the more experienced riders for some tips on tackling these kind of climbs. Thanks.

Probably the 'easiest' thing to change and get an improvement with is to get in a gear you are comfortable spinning straight away and try to go up using a steady amount of effort rather than starting off fast with a few 'bail out' gears to fall back on in reserve as you get tired. If you are feeling like you have something in reserve towards the top then put in the extra effort then.
  • Peddle Up!
    Peddle Up! wrote:

Probably the 'easiest' thing to change and get an improvement with is to get in a gear you are comfortable spinning straight away and try to go up using a steady amount of effort rather than starting off fast with a few 'bail out' gears to fall back on in reserve as you get tired. If you are feeling like you have something in reserve towards the top then put in the extra effort then.

Thanks. I tend to attack like a madman then run out of steam. If the hill's short enough fine, otherwise it's foot down time. {Grrrrr}.
  • nochekmate
    nochekmate Posts: 3,460
    Like most things the more you practise the easier it becomes. Pacing oneself at the outset is a always a good idea, particularly if you don't know the hill.

That hill from Elworthy is a good one as is the hill from Crowecombe over the Quantocks in Somerset. Mow Cop not in the same league as Wrynose/Hardknott.
  • Peddle Up!
    Strange isn't it? If this was a discussion over relative shark-infested waters we'd go out of our way to avoid those locations but the tough climbs are weirdly appealing. :roll:
  • marcusjb
    marcusjb Posts: 2,412
    Peddle Up! wrote:
    Strange isn't it? If this was a discussion over relative shark-infested waters we'd go out of our way to avoid those locations but the tough climbs are weirdly appealing. :roll:

Especially for us 60kg skinny chaps - it's the only part of cycling where I stand a chance of being faster than most!

Hard climbs - several factors involved, luggage being carried, weather, miles already in legs etc.

But some of the harder ones I've tackled - the ride over to Rhenigidale hostel in the Outer Hebrides, fully loaded (the road was only built in the 80s as it was too steep to do previously - the only way to the village was by boat or a 4-5hour walk over the hills!). That'll stay with me as one of the hardest climbs - mainly because I was touring.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/marcusjb/2804637537/

Devil's Staircase on The Elenith 300km this year - it was super hot that day

But, I thought I was a good climber until I went down to Cornwall on my holidays earlier this year - I heard it was some tough climbing down there, but it was beyond what one could call hilly! It just doesn't stop, steep nasty little lanes, no chance to build up speed on the downhill sections. I'd quite like to move down there.
  • marcusjb
    Peddle Up! wrote:

Especially for us 60kg skinny chaps - it's the only part of cycling where I stand a chance of being faster than most!

Hard climbs - several factors involved, luggage being carried, weather, miles already in legs etc.

But some of the harder ones I've tackled - the ride over to Rhenigidale hostel in the Outer Hebrides, fully loaded (the road was only built in the 80s as it was too steep to do previously - the only way to the village was by boat or a 4-5hour walk over the hills!). That'll stay with me as one of the hardest climbs - mainly because I was touring.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/marcusjb/2804637537/

Devil's Staircase on The Elenith 300km this year - it was super hot that day

But, I thought I was a good climber until I went down to Cornwall on my holidays earlier this year - I heard it was some tough climbing down there, but it was beyond what one could call hilly! It just doesn't stop, steep nasty little lanes, no chance to build up speed on the downhill sections. I'd quite like to move down there.
  • Winnat's Pass, Peak District, on a 39/25. Fell over in my pedals when I couldn't turn the cranks any more.

I am a wimp.
    No you aren't. I've ridden that a few times on 39 x 23 and stalled...
    Commute: Langster -Singlecross - Brompton S2-LX

Road: 95 Trek 5500 -Look 695 Aerolight eTap - Boardman TTe eTap

Offroad: Pace RC200 - Dawes Kickback 2 tandem - Tricross - Boardman CXR9.8 - Ridley x-fire
  • marcusjb
    Haven't ridden Winnat's since I was a kid (moved from the Peaks when I was eighteen) - but it is a very tough climb indeed - mainly because of that kick upwards right at the end. Especially if you don't know the hill, because you can't see it as you climb, it will take most people by surprise and prove too much for them.

I also really like the climb up the back of Mam Tor/Mam Nick from Edale - not as tough as Winnat's, but the views are better!
  • marcusjb wrote:
    Haven't ridden Winnat's since I was a kid (moved from the Peaks when I was eighteen) - but it is a very tough climb indeed - mainly because of that kick upwards right at the end. Especially if you don't know the hill, because you can't see it as you climb, it will take most people by surprise and prove too much for them.

I also really like the climb up the back of Mam Tor/Mam Nick from Edale - not as tough as Winnat's, but the views are better!
    That used to be a clubrun favourite when I lived in Sheffield. Much easier to come down Winnats than go up. I don't think the club ever rode up Winnats (although the Tour of the Peaks used to go straight up there a couple of miles after the start. That always split the field up)
    Commute: Langster -Singlecross - Brompton S2-LX

Road: 95 Trek 5500 -Look 695 Aerolight eTap - Boardman TTe eTap

Offroad: Pace RC200 - Dawes Kickback 2 tandem - Tricross - Boardman CXR9.8 - Ridley x-fire
  • term1te
    term1te Posts: 1,462
    t5nel wrote:
    From reading the above posts I dont think I have ever been on a really big climb.

Best effort I can think of is Bathwick Hill or Widcombe Hilll (about 9% average over 2km)

But what they lacked in steepness or length I made up for in journeys up them. I cycled up to Bath uni most day for 2 years - Bath must be one of the universities that has the fewest cyclists as most approaches to campus are up ridiculous hills.

Was also fun hitting 40+mph everyday on way home

Tim

I used to live in Cambridge terrace, near the bottom of Widcombe Hill when I was a student in Bath. Cycled up to the the University most days. As you say coming home was the fun bit. I remember the church at the bottom of Widcombe Hill, which had "prepare to meet thy God" painted on the roof, and would be the last thing you saw if your brakes failed.
    Have you tried cycling up Fox Hill, which runs up to Combe Down? Makes Widcombe look like a mere sleeping policeman.
  • Has to be on the Route du Col. Guess the Col du Tourmalet grabs the title although Aubisque and Aspin have their own memories! Seeing the Geant lurking up there on a clear day has to top cimbing up Aubisque in a pea souper! :shock: Last few turns (well maybe half dozen +) before hitting the summit through were not pleasant :? just knowing it was so close but so far away, always teasing.

Still the thought of having got up their on my hardtail (35mm slicks et al) - gasp :oops: made it all worthwhile. Would love to go back on my roadie and see how much easier (if any) it would be, especially having ditched about 10lbs+ of bike and 40L rucksack clothes et al.
    Allez Triple (hairy with mudguards) - FCN 4
    Ribble Gran Fondo
  • t4tomo
    t4tomo Posts: 2,643
    No one tackled Rosedale Chimney then? Sections of that are at least 33%
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
    Brompton S Type
    Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
    Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem
  • Driven up a hill today that must be a bit of a tough climb on a bike?

Between Bakewell and Matlock you go through a place called Rowsley, turn left and then right and you end up on Chesterfield Rd.

Took me a while in first gear to get up the climb and around the bends in my car.

Think it would be too much for me on my bike?
  • Another vote for Hardknott. Its the only hill I've had to suffer the walk of shame in the last couple of years in the Lakeland loop, although I finally managed it this year, just as cramp started to set in.

We have plenty of tough climbs locally - Greenhow hill, Lofthouse, Fleet moss etc, but nothing I've experienced is quite as brutal as Hardknott, and then the descent isn't even rewarding at the end of it all!
  • Whilst in the Alps ( Mountain Biking at Les Get & Morzine) I decided to do a Tour de France climb. Not just any climb, but the Col de Joux Plane – an hors categorie (beyond catagorisation) ascent at 10% max gradient / 8.5% average, gaining 3,500ft over 8.5 miles from Samoëns to the summit.

It took me about 1hour 45 mins on a 30lb Mountain Bike with highly pumped and worn knobblies. I think roadies can do it in an hour or so but Marco Pantani once did it in 33 minutes (thanks to the drugs....). I'm much fitter and lighter now and would love to have another crack at it on my Planet X and see if I can do an hour. It is a fantastic climb, steep with lots of twists turns and hairpins. Even out of the TDF season it has a spirit of its own and attracts loads of cyclists, young and old (some very old but bloody tough and quick).

Back home though. in Cornwall and Devon, there are plenty of tough climbs such as Millook Hill near Bude which is a 33% killer and has to be nailed, walking is for pussies!
    Giant XTC Pro-Carbon
    Cove Hustler
    Planet X Pro-Carbon
  • Mine has to be either honister from seatoller or the struggle out of ambleside, on 39x25, only just managed them and found a new max heart rate!
  • hammerite
    hammerite Posts: 3,408
    I think the toughest climb I've done was Whiteleaf during this years Chiltern 100. I'd alsready had two punctures so morale was pretty low, I only had about 40psi in my rear tyre (confirmed when I used a track pump at the following feed station). It just seemed incredibly steep and almost come out of nowhere.

It's probably not that tough, but given my mental state at the time I really didn't enjoy it. I've not been up to the lakes so can't compare it to anything there. But I have cycled in the Alps and done a number of the climbs around Bourg d'Oisans/Alpe d'Huez, and whilst they're difficult, they're just long slogs.

My worst descent was on the way back down to Bourg d'Oisans on the Col d'Ornon. It was cold and very wet. I couldn't take enough speed off for the bends in the wet, and was fearing going over the barrier to what looks like a drop of a few hundred metres. By the time I got to the bottom I thought I'd got hypothermia I felt so cold.
  • mcp73
    mcp73 Posts: 93
    Driven up a hill today that must be a bit of a tough climb on a bike?

Between Bakewell and Matlock you go through a place called Rowsley, turn left and then right and you end up on Chesterfield Rd.

Took me a while in first gear to get up the climb and around the bends in my car.

I assume you mean the steep climb out of Darley Dale? (Chesterfield Road/Sydnope Hill). I've certainly been down it several times (with hands squeezing brakes tight) but I haven't yet been up it. I'll try it the next time I'm out and let you know how it goes...or, indeed, how it doesn't go!
  • Feltup
    Feltup Posts: 1,340
    mcp73 wrote:

I assume you mean the steep climb out of Darley Dale? (Chesterfield Road/Sydnope Hill). I've certainly been down it several times (with hands squeezing brakes tight) but I haven't yet been up it. I'll try it the next time I'm out and let you know how it goes...or, indeed, how it doesn't go!

Think he is refering to Rowsley Bar with the hairpin like bends, not too bad think 100 climbs gives it a 5 or 6. Now the climb up to Stanton is a much tougher proposition.
    Short hairy legged roadie FCN 4 or 5 in my baggies.

Felt F55 - 2007
    Specialized Singlecross - 2008
    Marin Rift Zone - 1998
    Peugeot Tourmalet - 1983 - taken more hits than Mohammed Ali
  • Feltup wrote:
    mcp73 wrote:

Think he is refering to Rowsley Bar with the hairpin like bends, not too bad think 100 climbs gives it a 5 or 6. Now the climb up to Stanton is a much tougher proposition.

You drive into Rowsley on the Buxton to Darley Dale Rd and turn left and right onto Chesterfield Rd, still in Rowsley. This is a tough looking climb, may try it one day :D
  • Do you mean this one?

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/83263218

Tough but doable - it was the national hill climb course in 1997 :) I thought I did ok doing the hill climb section in about 10 mins - unitl I found the winner in 1997 did it in 5!

http://website.lineone.net/~jim.henders ... wsley.html

I found Riber hill harder - tried to stand to get extra power but it was so steep the back wheel spun - only about 1km but between 25 and 30%..
  • Feltup
    Riber is way harder especially if you do it straight after Bank Rd in Matlock.

Felt F55 - 2007
    Marin Rift Zone - 1998
  • My usual commute home is up Farley Hill - must have done it 100 times but it still seems to hurt more than the steeper, longer occasional hills I try :)
  • I've just come back from the lakes and can add Hornister (ridden East to West) as the hardest I've done (since I haven't done Hardnott - Wrynose). Really enjoyed Whinlatter though (although I feel sorry for anyone doing it with panniers).

30% for about 1/4 mile might have been possible if I hadn't looked at the bottom bit before the road turns left and thought 'it can't continue like that, I'll sprint up this bit then settle'. I got about 2/3rds of the way up before things started turning grey, managed to get back on the bike though. After a rest.

Can't wait to go back to the lakes with a sensible cassette.
  • I am pretty new to this game so have not faced the challenges most of you have. I can however remember what I thought was a beast of a hill when I lived in Johannesburg. I used to cycle to school which took in a hill called Munro Drive, as I was a teenger at the time it might have looked worse to me than it was, but it sure used to hurt.
    Valdora PHX-1 frameset (ongoing project)
    Specialized Allez Elite
    Marin Bobcat Trail - Soon to be converted to a commuter
  • Feltup wrote:
    Riber is way harder especially if you do it straight after Bank Rd in Matlock.

Nowadays I find Rowsley Bar harder as it's longer and consistently pretty steep the whole way, whereas the first half of Riber up to the first crazy hairpin is easy.

Having said that the steep section of Riber was my hardest ever climb. Riding that when not particularly fit was the most painful exercise I've done, and I used to do 400m sprinting.
    Strava name: Richard Gawthorpe
  • My favourite hill in the area is from the pub at Beeley up to the carpark at the top - 1.6 miles with an average of just 8% means you can really go for it. Fastest so far is 10mins 20secs but pretty sure I'll get under 10 mins before the end of the year :)
  • seadog12 wrote:
    My favourite hill in the area is from the pub at Beeley up to the carpark at the top - 1.6 miles with an average of just 8% means you can really go for it. Fastest so far is 10mins 20secs but pretty sure I'll get under 10 mins before the end of the year :)

I love that climb too, nice steady but reasonably tough gradient. I climbed it 9 times in one day once when doing some proper training. 2.5miles right to the top according to bikehike and the descent's even more fun.
    Strava name: Richard Gawthorpe
  • Feltup
    Beeley is a good climb but an amazing descent, lapping that would be great training as you can work both directions.

Felt F55 - 2007
    Marin Rift Zone - 1998