Servicing GXP BB

PXR5
PXR5 Posts: 203
edited September 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
My GXP external bottom bracket has now started to make what i consider to be a bit of noise (shame its not possible to attach an mp3 file so you could all appreciate it ! :wink: )

Even though the crank and pedals spin very freely with the chain removed and there is very minimal sideways play all does not sound well inside the bracket.

Is it possible to carry out any sort of service other than an exterior clean as i have previously done, is it possible to remove the outer rubber seals to clean or grease inside or is it a completely sealed unit and i need to be looking at ordering something new soon.

Any advise gratefully received...

Personally i like the mp3 idea, we could all hear each other noise problems, clicking rear hubs, creaking seat posts, squealing brakes - though the option would probably be better blocked in the CrudCatcher section !
Every time I go out, I think I'm being checked out, faceless people watching on a TV screen.....

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    So have you looked at the manual?

download it.

remove seals and add grease. As per the manual.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • PXR5
    Thanks Nick

It took a few minutes of searching but i've now found the manual - :D

When i saw that you had replied I just knew that you'd say read the bl00dy manual first before posting questions !! :oops:

Ta muchly...
    Every time I go out, I think I'm being checked out, faceless people watching on a TV screen.....
  • kenan
    kenan Posts: 952
    If you require a replaement I have a superstar one I don't need.
  • If the grinding is bad and you don't want to splash out on a new BB, it is possible to flush out the bearing cartridges and regrease them. Unfortunately, you need to remove the seals to do this and this makes them even less 'sealy' than before. Doing this is only delaying the inevitable.
  • PXR5
    If the grinding is bad and you don't want to splash out on a new BB, it is possible to flush out the bearing cartridges and regrease them. Unfortunately, you need to remove the seals to do this and this makes them even less 'sealy' than before. Doing this is only delaying the inevitable.

Which having found the manual Nick recommended is exactly how I spent a couple of hours last night.

Quite agree thats its only likely to be delaying the inevitable, will see how the BB behaves over the next few weeks, then maybe look at a replacement.

Most comments about weaknesses in the GXP bracket talk about water getting into it, even mentions this in the manual, or talks of servicing ever 50 hours, which seems a lot - however getting wet is not often the issue here - its more dust getting everywhere - This was the first complete strip down of the BB i've previously just taken it out and regreased around it,
  • It is possible to replace the bearings
    http://www.enduroforkseals.com/sitebuil ... _rwc_f.pdf

without any fancy tools.

more info
    http://www.hopegb.com/page_mep_force_57.html