What will take a 28mm tyre? Canyon Roadlight?

Heavenfire
Heavenfire Posts: 50
edited September 2011 in Road buying advice
I'm looking for a 'do everything' bike - winter club rides, shopping with seat-tube rack & panniers, tarmac and towpath. I need it to take 28mm tyres and some form of mudguard. It needs to be a 'steady plodder' when needed, but also fast enough for fun.

Top choice at present is the Canyon Roadlight. Understandably, Canyon will only give an equivocal answer to my question, amounting to 'maybe it will, maybe it won't'. Is there anyone reading this who has experience of the Roadlight and can give an opinion - or indeed suggest something else.

P.S. I don't want cantilever brakes.

Comments

• andyrr
    andyrr Posts: 1,819
    1 thing affecting the answer is that there are 28mm tyres and there are 28mm tyres - some will inflate to a different shape to other supposed 28mm tyres and a 'big' 25mm tyre could be as large as a 'small' 28mm tyre.
  • EKIMIKE
    EKIMIKE Posts: 2,232
    28mm tyres is one thing. In fact i've just put 25mm's on my Ultimate CF (cobbled hill climb in the works) and they're fine. It looks like it could take 28mm.

However 28mm tyres plus mudguards. Hmmm, that's tough. Crud roadrace guards seem to struggle with 25mm let alone 28's. Other mudguards, i'm not sure.
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,439
    Surley Pacer, Thorn Audax Mk3 some kind of bob jackson type affair.

I think for your needs you'd be better looking past the mainstream pro cycling brands tbh.
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    I doubt you'll find any road bike that takes 28mm tyres and mudguards unless it was deisgned to 'deep drop' brake calipers e.g. audax / touring bikes. Alternatively, look at CX bikes which have far bigger clearances and would be far more suitable off-road ventures but still light and fast enough if shod with a pair of skinny road tyres.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • Nuggs
    Nuggs Posts: 1,804
    This:

intelbike_1.jpg
  • andyrr wrote:
    1 thing affecting the answer is that there are 28mm tyres and there are 28mm tyres - some will inflate to a different shape to other supposed 28mm tyres and a 'big' 25mm tyre could be as large as a 'small' 28mm tyre.

That's very interesting (I'm new to cycling, still). Could you give an example of a 'big' 25? I'd be looking for something tough - maybe Conti Gatorskin/GP4000/4Season.
  • EKIMIKE wrote:
    28mm tyres is one thing. In fact i've just put 25mm's on my Ultimate CF (cobbled hill climb in the works) and they're fine. It looks like it could take 28mm.

However 28mm tyres plus mudguards. Hmmm, that's tough. Crud roadrace guards seem to struggle with 25mm let alone 28's. Other mudguards, i'm not sure.

Which tyres are you using?
  • Any views or experience of the Genesis Aether 30? It's available for £750 from Real Cycles http://www.realcycles.com/products.php?show=2462
  • EdZed
    EdZed Posts: 119
    Not sure how you'll fit a rack and panniers to a Canyon Roadlight.

As others have said you might want to consider a CX bike e.g. a Boardman CX Team (http://www.boardmanbikes.com/cx/cx_team.html) or a Genesis Croix de Fer (http://www.genesisbikes.co.uk/bikes/cro ... oix-de-fer). Both of these will take a 28 tyre with mudguards and have fixings for panniers. Both will weight more than a Roadlight but fulfil your requirements. There are also Audax and Tourers that could fulfil your requirements.
  • EdZed wrote:

Using a Topeak Beam Rack which fixes to the seatpost. It may not be great for balance on a road bike, but it should (I think) be OK for the occasions that I'll use it.
  • EKIMIKE
    EKIMIKE Posts: 2,232
    Vittoria Rubino Pro 3. The 25's are really absolutely fine. The 28's should fit in theory but it would be super tight, particularly up front and that's never good if you go over some loose surface. Might end up with some rock jammed into your fork :?
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Cannondale Alu Synapse has deep drop brakes / mudguard mounts & clearance. Will take 25's with guards so probably 28's without.

Ditto my Raceligkt Tk (I run 25mm Conti 4 seasons year round)

You mentioned the Genesis Aether; you considered an Equilibrium? (I'm waiting to hear what they are doing to it for 2012)

Actually just fitted some 28mm Conti somethings to my son's rescued Peugeot; they don't look much fatter than my 25's, so it may be easier than you think.
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,439
    Heavenfire wrote:
    Any views or experience of the Genesis Aether 30? It's available for £750 from Real Cycles http://www.realcycles.com/products.php?show=2462

Good bike, quite fancy an equilibrium but short on funds.
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • sketchley
    sketchley Posts: 4,238
    keef66 wrote:
    Cannondale Alu Synapse has deep drop brakes / mudguard mounts & clearance. Will take 25's with guards so probably 28's without.

Ditto my Raceligkt Tk (I run 25mm Conti 4 seasons year round)

You mentioned the Genesis Aether; you considered an Equilibrium? (I'm waiting to hear what they are doing to it for 2012)

Actually just fitted some 28mm Conti somethings to my son's rescued Peugeot; they don't look much fatter than my 25's, so it may be easier than you think.

2012 bikes are on the Genesis website. There is now a Equilibrium 00 to go with the 10 and 20.

The 00 is blue and 9 speed sora
    The 10 is now 10 speed Tiagra rather than 9 speed like 2011
    The 20 is identical to the 2011 except for the Cassette which in stead of a 105 12-25 is now a Tiagra 11-28.

Prices are the same for the 20, the 10's gone up £150 the 00 is priced a bit below where the 10 was last year.

http://www.genesisbikes.co.uk/bikes/roa ... librium-20
    --
    Chris

Genesis Equilibrium - FCN 3/4/5
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    @ Sketchley: Ooh that's spooky, I'd just been looking at the pic in your sig on the thread about wheel upgrading.

Thanks for the info! When did they update their website? I swear I was looking yesterday. Presumably they waited till they went public at Eurobike this week.
  • sketchley
    sketchley Posts: 4,238
    Not sure when exactly but they were there yesterday.
    --
    Chris

Genesis Equilibrium - FCN 3/4/5
  • EdZed
    EdZed Posts: 119
    Heavenfire wrote:
    EdZed wrote:

Using a Topeak Beam Rack which fixes to the seatpost. It may not be great for balance on a road bike, but it should (I think) be OK for the occasions that I'll use it.

Fair enough.
  • rafletcher
    rafletcher Posts: 1,235
    EdZed wrote:
    Heavenfire wrote:
    EdZed wrote:

Fair enough.

That won't get you any panniers though...

You should be looking at soemthing like a "fast audax" bike, not any form or "racing" bike. Fitting mudgaurds to a bike without mudguard eyes is possible, bt a faff, especially as for 28mm tyres you'd need wide guards. You'd need clearances too, under the fork crown. A beam rack will accomodate a rack top bag, but not take panniers - the weight would be too much and anyway they'd be swinging from side to side.

A btter bet would as I say be a "fast audax" type or "light tourer" which will come with braze-ons for 'guards and rack, or at last a "winter training" bike which will have 'gurad eyes - though 28's may still be a push!

Why 28's anyway? And have you considered a disc braked bike?
  • vorsprung
    vorsprung Posts: 1,953
    Heavenfire wrote:
    andyrr wrote:

That's very interesting (I'm new to cycling, still). Could you give an example of a 'big' 25? I'd be looking for something tough - maybe Conti Gatorskin/GP4000/4Season.

GP4s are great tyres but they aren't "tough"
    The 28mm sized ones are 26.5mm, so they are narrow