WANTED: Non-mushrooming helmet

FoldingJoe
FoldingJoe Posts: 1,327
edited August 2011 in Commuting chat
Guys,

Can anyone recommend a helmet that isn't too bulbous?

For the commute in London I use an older Giro Pneumo, which doesn't seem to make my head look absolutely mahoooosive.

I bought a Giro Monza a few months back (without trying it on as I bought online) and it is absolutely massive.

I'm thinking of getting rid of it and looking for something else.

As I live in Bude, and our only local LBS also does lawnmower repairs (you get the picture), my ability to get into a shop and try on a wide range is fairly limited.

Any recommendations on something on the smaller side for a helmet?

Not just Giro, am happy to consider Spiuk, Ruddy, Kask etc and preferably something in the Monza price range, so up to around £70.

Cheers,
FJ
Little boy to Obama: "My Dad says that you read all our emails"
Obama to little boy: "He's not your real Dad"

Kona Honky Tonk for sale: http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=40090&t=13000807

Comments

• d.mart
    d.mart Posts: 88
    Looks should really come a distant second to functionality tbh but having a bit of a melon myself I feel your pain. I got doored riding to work the other day wearing a Giro Stylus and although a proper mushroom job it most likely saved from a lengthy comatose stay in hospital. It was totally cracked through on the left temple so don't get too hung up on looks.

Have said that take a look at the on-one website, they're doing some good deals on helmets atm. Giro prolights are £90 if you can stretch the budget a bit. I've read good things about the MET helmets too, the Stradivarius UL is £71.99 down from £120 and the Inferno UL is £60 down from £100.

I just got a LAS Squalo for £57.99 from Fatbirds.co.uk (no really!!) and it's fairly 'sleek'. I have bit of a melon so a non-mushrooming lid was something I was looking for and it seems ok so far.
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,440
    Giro Prolights look pretty good and are really comfy.

There's a cycle surgery in exeter, that'd be a nice ride at the weekend! 8)
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • tgotb
    tgotb Posts: 4,714
    Giro Advantage adds hardly anything to your head's frontal cross section, but mine tends to hurt my ears after an hour or so. Might incur a FCN penalty though :lol:

+1 for Giro Prolight, very light and comfy...
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • FoldingJoe
    FoldingJoe Posts: 1,327
    Yeah, I can just see my self on an Airnimal Joey and a TT helmet!!! ;):)

Anyone used\got a Lazer Helium? Mushroom-esque or not?
    Little boy to Obama: "My Dad says that you read all our emails"
    Obama to little boy: "He's not your real Dad"

Kona Honky Tonk for sale: http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=40090&t=13000807
  • Jay dubbleU
    Jay dubbleU Posts: 3,159
    I use one of these - good fit and feels extremely comfortable

http://www.extremepie.com/Bern+Helmets+ ... /24474.htm