Help with Fizik Options - Manganese vs Kium vs Carbon Rails

Sammyw23
Sammyw23 Posts: 627
edited August 2011 in Road buying advice
Hey folks - currently the cheapest Antares saddle with manganese rails. Its good but still get achy after 3 hrs.

Having tried out an Aliante I want to keep the Antares as I prefer the flat shape but just wondering if the kium or carbon braided rails would add anything.

Likewise for base as both the kium and carbon railed models have a carbon base too which my current one doesn't.

SO would the kium or carbon rails add comfort? AND would the carbon base add anything too?

Guess I need comments from someone who has tried them all! Here's hoping.....
Cervelo P3
Bianchi Infinito
Cannondale CAAD10

Comments

• Wirral_paul
    Wirral_paul Posts: 2,476
    Having gone to a carbon railed saddle (specialized though), they help buy only by a tiny amount. It you get achy after 3hrs (a short ride for many!!) then maybe the saddle shape isnt quite right for you.

Also, quality shorts can make a big difference. So can time in the saddle to "toughen your undercarriage". Do you know any shops that have demo models that you may be able to try?? There seems to be a few by me but not sure if they just carry the standard manganese rails
  • Sammyw23
    Cheers Wirral_Paul - My trouble is I need Aliante padding on a flat Antares shape! I think my under carriage has toughened up all its going to now, I am a once a week rider but have done just under 2,500 miles in 12 months (my first 12 months on a road bike). Its not horrendous and the antares is so much better than the Arione I started on which was too narrow.
    Cervelo P3
    Bianchi Infinito
    Cannondale CAAD10
  • juggler
    juggler Posts: 262
    Slightly off topic. I've been riding an Arione with Kium rails and it is the most comfortable saddle i have ever used. So a while back i splashed out on the top of range Arione with Carbon rails to replace a Selle Italia one on another bike.

It's no where near as comfortable and i have switched back to a standard Arione on that bike as well. The carbon railed saddle is ok for short rides, but i notice some slight discomfort on 3hrs+ rides, where there is none with the standard saddle.

The Carbon railed Arione has noticeably less padding, although fizik claim it to be just as comfy as the standard Arione becauses it uses a different type of foam. IMO it is not as good (for me anyway) and is not worth it for saving a few grammes ...so if you are looking to upgrade to carbon rails, bear this in mind. Not sure if this applies to the Aliante, Antares as well.
  • Mccaria
    Mccaria Posts: 869
    I have ridden the carbon Antares 00 on plenty of 5+ hour rides without any significant discomfort. These days getting the right saddle shape and the right padding in the shorts seems to be the key.
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    I ride a 'carbon' Aliante with braided kium rails and an Aliante gamma with the kium rails and the carbon variety I find more comfortable, so the rails do make a difference imo ...
  • ajb72
    ajb72 Posts: 1,178
    I have owned a kium railed Ariones, and carbon railed Antares. Like you I preferred the flatter profile of the Antares but I struggled a bit with blood flow to the vital areas!

I switched to the Versus version of the Antares which has kium rails and I have found a great solution at last - the groove has cured the numbness but it's still comfy on the sit bones.
  • Sammyw23
    ajb72 - good to hear as I ordered the Versus version last night. Hoping it will be the answer!!
    Cervelo P3
    Bianchi Infinito
    Cannondale CAAD10
  • ajb72
    ajb72 Posts: 1,178
    Sammyw23 wrote:
    ajb72 - good to hear as I ordered the Versus version last night. Hoping it will be the answer!!

Hope it works out. Just one more thing - if at first it doesn't feel 100% comfortable, give it a chance. The Antares isn't a wingflex as I'm sure you know, and my Versus was not comfy on the sit bones on the first ride or two. However, after a couple of hundred miles it seems to have given a bit and is spot on now.
  • Sammyw23
    Thanks mate that's really helpful to know. Done a good few miles on the normal Antares so far and just a little relief in the undercarriage area would make it perfect!
    Cervelo P3
    Bianchi Infinito
    Cannondale CAAD10