Post to IS caliper mounting problem - XTR M985 to M965???

yan_c
yan_c Posts: 81
edited September 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi, Anyone tried fitted a new XTR M985 Post mount caliper to an old XTR M965 flip shift changer - will lever modulation be the same? Just bought some new DTSwiss forks which are Post mount and my old M965 caliper is IS mount with a 160mm disc. Tried various adapters incl from KCNC from Clee Cycles and nothing seems to fit - without a larger disc and big mods to the adapter...

Any ideas???

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    yes the caliper will work with the dual lever assy.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • yan_c
    Have you actually tried it or know someone who has?
    Cheers
  • cobba
    cobba Posts: 282
    From Shimano:
    All Shimano hydraulic disc brake systems are interchangeable. Depending on the model of the brake lever and caliper, the connections may differ and could require replacing of the hose and/or the connection fitting, but the brake levers and calipers are fully compatible.
    http://cycle.shimano-eu.com/publish/content/global_cycle/en/nl/index/tech_support/faq_s/mtb_faq_s.html
  • yan_c
    ok cheers......
  • HandjobDan
    HandjobDan Posts: 704
    Post mount callipers don't need any adaptors for 160 disc they just bolt straight on, you only need an adaptor if you want to run a bigger disc.

To fit the Caliper to the hose you'll need to get a fitting kit either Shimano or Goodridge or something for the banjo's and seals and the like (if they didn't come with the Caliper).
  • yan_c
    The problem is my current brakes are M965 and IS mount and the forks are POST mount. As I see it it looks like there are no adapters that will fit my M965 caliper to the fork using a 160mm disc.

The only way out is a post mount caliper and I dont really want to change M965 flip shifers aswell so would fitting a new M985 caliper to an old M965 lever and hyd cable be ok?
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    But you need a bigger disc
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • I thought you said you were changing to the M985 Caliper and keeping the original M965 dual control shifters as per your original post?

If not as above for an is mount to Post mount adaptor and need to run a 180 disc.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    yan_c wrote:
    The problem is my current brakes are M965 and IS mount and the forks are POST mount. As I see it it looks like there are no adapters that will fit my M965 caliper to the fork using a 160mm disc.

The only way out is a post mount caliper and I dont really want to change M965 flip shifers aswell so would fitting a new M985 caliper to an old M965 lever and hyd cable be ok?

what was the issue with the KCNC 160mm adapter?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • yan_c
    The problem seems to be the KCNC adapter will need something like an 8 to 10mm spacer + thinning down, to clear the posts on the forks and allow any sort of lateral movement of the caliper for alignments. Looks like the DT swiss forks POST mount was not designed to take IS adapters! After thsi the disc will need to be increased to 180mm at least. As the bike is only a lightweight xc bike and a 160mm is plenty 180mm will be well over the top! So the easiest way I see is to swap to a POST mount caliper.....