Eastbourne/Hastings chain gang

Horta
Horta Posts: 64
I finally bit the bullet and started riding chaingangs again, after many years of not. My local one starts in Hastings, 1930. I ride out from Eastbourne and meet them en-route, depending on what time the other half gets back from work. There's usually a couple of us riding back to Eastbourne, so you wont be lonely.

You'll need some good lights as the route is unlit for a large part and it goes all through the winter until April, so is a good way to keep fit.

They're a friendly bunch, with a wide spread of abilities, fom monster testers, to have-a-go-heroes, so everyone's welcome.

Post here or pm me if you want to come along.
better a has been, than a never was!

Comments

• Hi Horta,

I'm going into my second year of university at Eastbourne, I don't move into my house for another week or two but this sounds like a good idea, as last year I was riding on my own the whole time! What days do the rides happen on?

Thanks.

Elliot.
  • Horta
    Doh! Would be good to mention the day. Wednesday.

The ride starts from the old Stamco building in Hastings. I've no idea where this is! As I'm never able to meet on time, I ride along De La Warr Parade in Bexhill until I meet them coming from Hastings.

If you know De La Warr Parade, keep heading east along it, at the end it goes up Galley Hill and becomes a shared bike/footpath, go along, turn left under the bridge, you come out in a car park, turn right and you should see them. This is as far as I've got.

Alternatively you could try meeting at Phoenix cycles on Seaside Rd in Eastbourne, Max the mechanic there usually rides out from there on the dot of 6. In fact I will be there tonight as the kids are on holiday, so maybe see you there.
  • Horta
    No I won't be there, as the decorating is STILL going on!! :evil:

I'll be there next week, but go along tonight anyway, maybe I can sneak a little off road action in tonight.... :wink:
  • Horta
    Made it last week, 20+ riders. Should be out tomorrow and will do both legs, so back to town for 2130

C'mon Eastbourne, let's get a few more riders out!
  • Horta
    Another 20+ riders night, 8 from Eastbourne, so had a wheel to follow home.

Almost got the group going through and off, a few more weeks and we'll be there!
  • tjkey17
    tjkey17 Posts: 69
    Is this chaingang still on this year?

Also, any other chaingangs around Eastbourne? Coming back from uni tomorrow and don't really know if there are any organised rides around Eastbourne

Cheers
  • Horta
    the chaingangs only run during the winter, makes no sense I know, but that's how it goes. I think it's October to April, have a look at the Hastings CC website. It's handy if you're racing cross/mtb during the winter, even if you're not racing it's good fun, make sure you've got some bloody good lights though.

Group rides that I know of;
    Eastbourne Rovers do a recovery ride on a Monday night, followed by a Watt bike session, leaving from Stone Cross.
    The Hastings CC do some rides on Sat/Sun. Check their website.
    There's a bunch of In-Gear riders that go out on a Sunday from the top end of Hastings, a good bunch, ex racers, so always a good pace!
    In-Gear do a ride from the shop on a Wednesday morning, haven't tried it yet.
    Lewes CC are running their crits around Laughton at the moment. So if you're a 3rd cat racer it's Thursday night, 2 more to go.

You could also ask at Phoenix cycles, or the Tristore.

Let me know how you get on.