Winterprooferisation for a carbon road bike....

2»

Comments

• prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,439
    bails87 wrote:
    Hmmm.....Planet X are doing carbon Guerciotti cross frame, forks and headsets for £299.......

Want! :shock:

Actually I'd go for the £399 bundle because my seatpost is the wrong size. Add another £30 for some mini v brakes and bobs your uncle. Might have to seduce the wife later and steal her purse while she's passed out (by seduce I obviously mean drug)
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    jedster wrote:
    Your bikes are in the garage?!! What century is this?!!!!

Some of them. Since you mention it, my commuting bike tends to live by the back door under a little roof. I put an Abus ground anchor in. Saves faff. However, if I was mad enough to want to swap tyres over because of inclement weather, I would have to go out to the garage to find the tyres!

J

Your tyres are in the garage?!! What century is this?!!!! And what exactly are wardrobes for?
    Faster than a tent.......
  • jas1978
    jas1978 Posts: 29
    I ride my Kona Jake 2010 (£479 in feb this year) the hole year round 15 mile each way 3 days a week, Bonty 25 hardcase tyres, some electron terra ii lights upfront and its cracking bike bar the crappy brake performance, how much different would better brake blocks make? I have fitted areobars for added positional choice ( it may not have the right look but I don't care)
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    Just how bad are cantis? I got properly rained on the other week on the Ribble, with 105 calipers, and they were useless. It was very wet but still, I didn't expect to have to clamp the brakes on for 5 seconds before they actually started doing anything. :shock:
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • jas1978
    jas1978 Posts: 29
    I don't really have anything to compare them too other than when I had a go on a giant MTB with hydraulic brakes so a little unfair, when I say crappy there not as sharp or powerful as v-brakes, but you do have to go to the drops to get some leverage!
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,439
    Limited experience with modern cantis but from the old days and what I've read here and elsewhere, not as good as dual pivot brakes,
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017