Moronic athletics commentary

Comments

• Nairnster wrote:
    Showing your lack of knowledge again. The Great North Run is pretty widely known as, and described as, a fun run, and has been for many years. Its Half Marathon distance.

Not sure what circles you're mixing in mate but GNR isn't a fun run (and isn't described as such). Unless you'd also consider the London Marathon a fun run.

Results are published and prizes are awarded, hence it is a competitive race.

There might be a great number of people who run it for charity, but the race itself is still not a fun run.
  • Nairnster
    Nairnster Posts: 602
    I know it is still a competitive race, with many club runners and elite racers.

It does get described as a fun run,by most who take part, as most of the participants are doing it for fun. You ever been there and done it?

Stop trying to be smart arse pricks and twisting everything someone says.
  • As it happens, yes I have. It was not a fun run.
  • Oh, I'd also say that hardly anyone is doing it "for fun". If you've never done so, try running a half marathon and see how much "fun" it is.
  • jim453
    jim453 Posts: 1,360
    Nairnster wrote:
    Showing your lack of knowledge again. The Great North Run is pretty widely known as, and described as, a fun run, and has been for many years. Its Half Marathon distance.

You are just showing that you are another of the few on here, who dislikes someone who doesnt share their opinion.

By the way, i wasnt the one who was obviously upset enough that I felt the need to start a thread because I disliked a TV presenter or two. So dry your own eyes and just accept I dont agree with you.

You are brilliant value mate.

I'm currently trying to babysit a labrador and a golden retriever and in the few lulls in their rampaging around my kitchen I'm really enjoying keeping up with this thread.

Anyway, the Great North Run is a very serious entry in the calender of many elite athletes and marathon runners and it is amusing to hear it described as a fun run. Which is one of the things that tickled me in the first place.

Presumably you 'ran' it in a Mr Blobby costume, or some other hilarious 'fun' guise.
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    Oh, I'd also say that hardly anyone is doing it "for fun". If you've never done so, try running a half marathon and see how much "fun" it is.
    But he has, he's faster than Brandan Foster, remember? Him and his grandad too, if I remember rightly
  • jim453
    bompington wrote:
    Oh, I'd also say that hardly anyone is doing it "for fun". If you've never done so, try running a half marathon and see how much "fun" it is.
    But he has, he's faster than Brandan Foster, remember? Him and his grandad too, if I remember rightly

Brendan was doing it for fun too, he was dressed as a taxi.
  • Well in that case, if he thought it was "fun", I'd suggest he didn't actually run it all. He probably walked parts.
  • RDW
    RDW Posts: 1,900
    Nairnster wrote:
    I wouldnt trust him either, ever since one Great North Run, my father and I both passed him on the route, then when we finished, there he was being interveiwed at the finish line, having 'completed the race'.
    That's nothing. It's actually well-known that a BBC conspiracy led by Foster systematically conceals outrageous 'short-cuts' taken by star UK athletes in high-profile events. Check out this page on Paula Radcliffe:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/athleti ... 957921.stm

Notice how her feet are only visible in two of the shots, one where she's lying down and another obviously posed at the finishing line for the cameras? This is because Paula routinely competes on a skateboard, a fact concealed from the public by clever use of camera angles and Foster & Cram's misleading commentary. I photographed this myself at the 2005 London Marathon, but unfortunately my media card became corrupted before I could post the shots online, and now everyone I tell assumes I'm talking nonsense.
  • I know the thread's moved on a bit but my favourite piece of commentary from the weekend was the advice not to 'pre-guess' any results, post guessing is fine but pre-guessing is just ridiculous!

Allezoops
    2010 Allez Comp & 2011 Langster complete with child seat

Sponsor me please http://www.justgiving.com/scotlandsbravesttot
  • jim453
    allezoops wrote:
    I know the thread's moved on a bit but my favourite piece of commentary from the weekend was the advice not to 'pre-guess' any results, post guessing is fine but pre-guessing is just ridiculous!

Allezoops

Point proven.

Brendan would simply not have offered such a ridiculous and nonsensical piece of advice.

Legend.
  • 15peter20
    15peter20 Posts: 293
    Brendan Rogers is an ar5e with verbal diarrhea
  • RDW
    RDW Posts: 1,900
    15peter20 wrote:

That seems harsh, but I guess his vocal style isn't for everyone:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lmTzVihjWCk
  • jim453
    15peter20 wrote:

Well if he's even half as bad as Rob Walker then I agree with you.

Sorry, who is Brendan Rogers?
  • cornerblock
    cornerblock Posts: 3,228
    Brendan Rogers? Not very popular in Cardiff.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,157

We don't mind him too much at the moment. Things might change in December when they score their first league goal.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • verylonglegs
    verylonglegs Posts: 3,954
    RichN95 wrote:

We don't mind him too much at the moment. Things might change in December when they score their first league goal.

December? 2011 right?
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,157
    RichN95 wrote:

December? 2011 right?

Yeah, 2011. They'll be fine in 2012. Lots of goals for everyone in the Championship.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • jim453
    15peter20 wrote:

Can I assume you mean Brendan Foster? The thread is in grave danger of diverging in the direction of third rate football managers.

Has Brendan Rogers ever cheated in the Great North run?
  • cornerblock
    jim453 wrote:
    15peter20 wrote:

Can I assume you mean Brendan Foster? The thread is in grave danger of diverging in the direction of third rate football managers.

Has Brendan Rogers ever cheated in the Great North run?

No but he did recently climb Mount Kilimanjaro in aid of Marie Curie Cancer Care. Is there a taxi firm halfway up?
  • My favourite comment was that "Oscar Pistorious was born without calf bones". Now, I'm no doctor ... but I think they might be called "shin bones".
  • fluff.
    fluff. Posts: 771
    Didn't see it today, with having to go to work again and whatnot, but apparently Ortis has been given the boot by C4. "Coming up, more live action from ummm.... here!" Yes that was one of his.
  • Pseudonym
    Pseudonym Posts: 1,032
    RichN95 wrote:

don't be ridiculous - they aren't going to score any goals this season....
  • kettrinboy
    kettrinboy Posts: 613
    Surely more annoying than any of the presenters is the ad breaks every 5 minutes or so it seems, i just record it and fast forward through all the crap which includes some of the commentary, the pundits like Dean Macey, Katherine Merry and Iwan Thomas are doing a good job, but Ortis Deley should stick to testing gadgets, Michael Johnson must be thinking , who are these guys? when he has to work with Deley and the other bloke.
  • jim453
    So the gadget show idiot has been dropped. Good, he was embarrassing.

Perhaps C4 can try the other imbecile from the gadget programme, the one who always wears a stupid cap at a stupid angle and is obviously mentally ill.

The Gadget Show????!!! What a joke.
  • avoidingmyphd
    avoidingmyphd Posts: 1,154
    jim453 wrote:
    As it happens, it does have at least one competent sports presenter on its staff.
  • mr_poll
    mr_poll Posts: 1,547
    For those that want to see how truly poor this guy was here you go:

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xkswky_ortis-deley-presenting-masterclass_fun#from=embediframe

:roll:
  • cornerblock
    That was so painful I couldn't watch it all. I actually felt sorry for him. Probably for the best that he has been 'dropped'. Put him out of his misery.
  • jim453 wrote:
    As it happens, it does have at least one competent sports presenter on its staff.
    Suzi? (love her)
  • graham.
    graham. Posts: 862
    mr_poll wrote:
    For those that want to see how truly poor this guy was here you go:

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xkswky_ortis-deley-presenting-masterclass_fun#from=embediframe

:roll:
    Oh dear. Sorry could'nt watch more than 7 seconds.
    Graham. :oops: