What car - Fun, 40+mpg and under £3k

supertwisted
supertwisted Posts: 565
edited March 2012 in The hub
... and must take a roof rack for the bikes obviously.

Basically after a frugal but not dull run about. I cycle more or less everywhere these days anyway, but occasionally need a car for longer trips or for commuting when the weather is properly bad.

Citroen C2 GT has caught my eye (don't laugh) as it fills most of the boxes, but, it is a Citroen...

Other end of the scale, older 3 series diesel perhaps?

Really dunno what I'm after at the moment, so suggestions welcome!
Less internal organs, same supertwisted great taste.

Comments

• bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    Focus? I get >50mpg out of my 1.8 diesel, gets a bike in the back with just the front wheel removed. Managed to get 3 bikes and a weeks worth of kit for two people in the back of it a while ago.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,560
    bails87 wrote:
    Focus? I get >50mpg out of my 1.8 diesel, gets a bike in the back with just the front wheel removed. Managed to get 3 bikes and a weeks worth of kit for two people in the back of it a while ago.
    +1

Focus is also quite good to drive for a boggo hatchback.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • I've driven a few and they just don't do it for me I'm afraid, all petrol versions mind but I can't imagine the diesel adds anything to the experience.

But, they will deffo fit right into the budget side of things.
  • I've got a 55 plate mondeo 2.0 diesel. Getting 42.5mpg tootling around town. I got my fully assembled Boardman Hybrid in there no problem last week. Great solid cars too. Bang on the money at £3k for a low mileage example too.
    Commuter: Boardman Hybrid Team 2011
  • Keith1983
    Keith1983 Posts: 575
    My vote would go for a 307 SW. I've got a 2.0 HDI version and get nearly 50mpg out of it. There's plenty of room in it and has the bars running the length of the roof. Plus it has a glass roof so you can keep an eye on the bikes that are on top! Love it.
  • beduffrich wrote:
    I've got a 55 plate mondeo 2.0 diesel. Getting 42.5mpg tootling around town. I got my fully assembled Boardman Hybrid in there no problem last week. Great solid cars too. Bang on the money at £3k for a low mileage example too.

Blimey are they that cheap now? I'd orignally written them off due to the injector debacle but imagine most will be done by now. A mate had one, said it was the best car he's ever had.

On the list it goes - cheers.
  • Keith1983 wrote:
    My vote would go for a 307 SW. I've got a 2.0 HDI version and get nearly 50mpg out of it. There's plenty of room in it and has the bars running the length of the roof. Plus it has a glass roof so you can keep an eye on the bikes that are on top! Love it.

I had one of these until recently. Awful cars so cheaply made in comparison to a ford and awfully expensive when things start going wrong.
    Commuter: Boardman Hybrid Team 2011
  • Keith1983 wrote:

Driven a 307, wasn't a fan. You do get a lot for your money though I'll grant you.

I used to have a 306 Rallye. Not that was fun.
  • Keith1983
    Keith1983 Posts: 575
    I think you might struggle with the 40mpg and something that is fun?
    You'd get a Vectra Diesel for £3K, I had a petrol one and it was a good car. The diesel will get you the 40mpg but can't imagine it would be a massive amount of fun?

With the 307 being dismissed on the grounds that you weren't a fan of the drive, maybe a 206 sw would be worth a look the bhp per tonne would be higher so should be faster and with the same engine and less weight should be more economical too? I've never driven one though.
  • Andy B
    Andy B Posts: 8,115
    Seat Ibiza FR TDi, 130BHP 40-50MPG depending on how you drive and if you have roof bars and bikes up top

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/search/used ... ce-to/3000
    2385861000_d125abe796_m.jpg
  • Skoda Fabia VRS would be my choice, but you'd be looking at high milers for under 3k.
  • leaflite
    leaflite Posts: 1,651
    Mk4 VW Golf TDi
    either 115, 130 or 150 hp depending on model
    50mpg plus from all of them
    some are going for £2-4k depending on mileage, colour, options etc
  • AndyBeast
    AndyBeast Posts: 179
    2004 ALFA ROMEO 147 1.9 JTD Lusso.

49.8mpg on combined!!

http://tinyurl.com/3dkfnx9

But I'm biased and no they don't break down all the time (mines never let me down) get a good one, find a local independent guy, service it when you should and it'll be fine.
  • +1 for mk4 golf Tdi

Mine is a 1.9 Tdi 100 bhp and I'm getting about 50 mpg out of it (I could probably get this up to about 53-54 mpg but i've been pushing it abit)
    I assume this is French petrol - be careful in reverse - the car will retreat rapidly at the least provocation.
  • camerauk
    camerauk Posts: 1,000
    +1 for mondeo 2.0 diesel
    got 58 to the gallon on a run to wales recently fully loaded up and that was at 70mph :D
    loads of space in it, runs sweet, very comfortable and good to drive cheap as well :D
    Specialized Camber Expert
    Specialized Allez Sport
  • All pretty dull to drive options above in terms of the focus and Mondeo's they don't really come alive until you get an ST and not sure if the have ST deisels anymore...

With eyes open the last model Fabia VRS deisel is prob in your budget and one of the most fun, also bear in mine FR versions of the last model Ibiza too.
  • Briggo
    Briggo Posts: 3,537
    They dont make ST's in the new model Mondeos, the top spec is now the Titanium X, the 05-57 Mk3 was the last and only diesel ST version.

I do love my ST diesel though, pulls extremely well and the handling is spot on for fun country roads ;)

You'd be hard pushed to find one for under £3k I should think.
  • captainfly
    captainfly Posts: 1,001
    Whats wrong with Citroen? My brother has a Ford Focus and a Citroen C4 Picasso with three children under five and more bits fall off the Focus, my Dad is on his third C4 and puts so many miles on them he only changes them to keeps some residual value for a part exchange.
    But or three grand you can get a mk1 Skoda Fabia VRS, fast and economical fun.
    -_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_
    Mongoose Teocali
    Giant STP0

Why are MTB economics; spend twice as much as you intended, but only half as much as you wish you could afford? :roll:
  • camerauk
    mines just a standard 2.0 TDCI 130bhp and I regularly get between 550 and 600 miles out of a tank of diesel
    Specialized Allez Sport
  • camerauk
    yeah torque is great hills what hills lol
    Specialized Allez Sport
  • Richie63
    Richie63 Posts: 2,132
    I've got an 04 plated Ghia X mondeo 2L and that can shift and handle really well and at the moment is showing 48.2 mpg on the clock with125K miles behind it.

I've been looking for a while to change it but can't find much better out there for what it does

Recommend one of these if you can find one.
    I'm going to blow the bank on a new build ( within reason ) NOW DONE!!
    http://i570.photobucket.com/albums/ss14 ... 010362.jpg
  • Pudseyp
    Pudseyp Posts: 3,514
    Seat Leon FR Diesel, Golf GT TDI, or a Audi A3 1.8T Quattro or 1.9 Diesel....or anything German....don't touch anything French that's the golden rule !
    Tomac Synper 140 Giant XTC Alliance 1
    If the world was flat, I wouldn't be riding !
  • VWsurfbum
    VWsurfbum Posts: 7,881
    Pudseyp wrote:
    Seat Leon FR Diesel, Golf GT TDI, or a Audi A3 1.8T Quattro or 1.9 Diesel....or anything German....don't touch anything French that's the golden rule !
    This man speakath the truth!
    Kazza the Tranny
    Now for sale Fatty
  • Pudseyp
    Pudseyp Posts: 3,514
    Another good shout...erhem...is a Vauxhall Signum 1.9 TD...great car loads of room for your gear, high spec and good MPG...
    Tomac Synper 140 Giant XTC Alliance 1
    If the world was flat, I wouldn't be riding !
  • captainfly wrote:
    Whats wrong with Citroen? My brother has a Ford Focus and a Citroen C4 Picasso with three children under five and more bits fall off the Focus, my Dad is on his third C4 and puts so many miles on them he only changes them to keeps some residual value for a part exchange.

FORD - Fix Or Repair Daily :p

But the seen citreons literally fall apart.
  • captainfly
    captainfly Posts: 1,001
    captainfly wrote:

FORD - Fix Or Repair Daily :p

But the seen citreons literally fall apart.

How do the cirtoens fall appart literally? Seriously I have known four that have been fine, the only problem was the first C4 went through more headlight bulbs than you might expect the other two haven't and that is with 60.000 put on each one, so 180k miles and they haven't fallen apart and have done 60mpg the last on even survived a misfuel with no ill effects. Personally I like Skodas and Audis, but wouldn't have any problems with a citreon, they seem more reliable than the Toyota (throttle pedal jammed) and Mitsubishi (had to terminate my lease with my Colt as they couldn't/wouldn;t sort out the gearbox).
    -_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_
    Mongoose Teocali
    Giant STP0

Why are MTB economics; spend twice as much as you intended, but only half as much as you wish you could afford? :roll:
  • In a pretty similar dillema as the OP. I've watched three peugeots (between me and a mate) fail on a weekly basis and an astra gradually eat itself alive so those are out of the pick n mix. The Fabia VRS (as mentioned) seems a great bet but the interior is so damn dull!

Will check out the seats on above recommendations :)
  • Vectra SRI 1.9tdi is a fun drive. Nice enough place to be sat in, good power and fun in the twisties.
    Would have one over a mondeo.
    Papa? Nicole
  • mintedox wrote:
    Vectra SRI 1.9tdi is a fun drive. Nice enough place to be sat in, good power and fun in the twisties.

Terrible chassis, and drives like it on jelly :s
  • mintedox wrote:
    Vectra SRI 1.9tdi is a fun drive. Nice enough place to be sat in, good power and fun in the twisties.

Terrible chassis, and drives like it on jelly :s

Not at all, had mine around 8 months and totally enjoyed it. Had an 05 mondeo tdci estate before it which was a very good car but a little boring, the vectra was a better drive.
    Papa? Nicole