Wheel Truing: Going Rate?

Mojo_666
Mojo_666 Posts: 860
edited August 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
I am just wondering what the going rate is for a wheel true, no replacement parts just sticking it in the jig and getting a 1cm or so buckle trued out?

Comments

• benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    Probably about 30 mins work, so somewhere from 15-20 quid I would imagine.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • my lbs charge £10
  • Mojo_666
    Cheers, I was just quoted £15......so I guess that's OK then.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    My LBS charge £20 to build a wheel, truing 10-15 depending on how bad it is.

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • kinmofo
    kinmofo Posts: 172
    i biught a spoke key form my LBS for £1.75. can do it my self now. forever :) its really easy too. get a spoke key and an old rim, buckle it, then un buckle it :)
    I'm a Nazi Zombie! And You Cant Kill Me!

Out of all the things I've lost, I miss my Mind the most!

dont get mad, get KROSS
  • Mojo_666
    kinmofo wrote:
    i biught a spoke key form my LBS for £1.75. can do it my self now. forever :) its really easy too. get a spoke key and an old rim, buckle it, then un buckle it :)

Yeah I have one too and I am fine with a little truing, but this was too far gone. It needed a Jig and a lot more skill than I could throw at it.

Even the guy in the bike shop commented that it was pretty bad and was surprised I had no spoke breakage. :|
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    1cm is pretty large... The rim could well be bent.
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    My LBS is £10 + £1 per spoke replaced. I can, but haven't the tools/patience, tension a wheel from new.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • Andy B
    Andy B Posts: 8,115
    1cm is pretty large... The rim could well be bent.
    That's what I'm thinking too

if it isn't bent then £10-£15 is about right, depending on how long it takes to true up
    2385861000_d125abe796_m.jpg