bike fit calculator

anthonychou
anthonychou Posts: 20
edited August 2011 in Road buying advice
Just wondering if anyone has used the fit calculator over at competitive cyclist (http://www.competitivecyclist.com/za/CC ... ATOR_INTRO ) to measure up for bike size?

I used it prior to buying my current scott and have felt to have made quite a few changes to my scott to get it to fit (ie shorter stem AND shorter reach bars)

many thanks

Comments

• warrerj
    warrerj Posts: 665
    used it for my wife for a starting point. she then went for a pro fit at they came up with near enough the same size.
  • thanks for the input buddy :)
  • n1ckster
    n1ckster Posts: 158
    I used it, about a month after I purchased my (first) new bike back in April.

Set up straight from the shop felt pretty good, but I didn't really know any better. I suffered a little from knee pain on longer (50+ mile) rides, but attributed this to my physiology (complete newbie to cycling at 35yo) and/or technique.

For no other reason other than it is what I tend to do, I spent some time looking at bike fits on websites and thought I'd follow the competitive cyclist tutorial.

It lowered my saddle height and moved it back slightly and I can say that it has improved my pedalling technique and my climbing ability, which has had the overall result of increasing my average speeds and decreasing fatigue. Some of this may be attributed to a general improvement in my fitness etc, but it has certainly reduced the pain in the knees.

Give it a go and see how you get on; you can always change it again, plus you get to learn about your body and all the dynamics that go into cycling.

Nick
  • thanks for your reply n1ckster! will return to it again i think tonight to give myself yet another full measurement! thanks
  • found the competitive fit option within the calculator very similar to my professional fit. saddle position and height/changes slightly as season goes on. IIRC correctly though I shortened the stem by about 1cm to the calculator when having the fit.