Messed up my elixir 4s

bennett_346
bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
edited August 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
I was out riding today and noticed the levers were coming quite far back before the pads bit the rotor. They aren't new pads but they aren't close to replacement time either. Once before when the lever was doing the same thing, i was able to make the pads bite almost instantly by pulling the lever slightly without the wheel in then putting it back in. Tried this today and it really didn't work out, now the lever comes back to the bar before they bite :(

I don't think they need bleeding but i'm wondering if anyone knows how to "reset" the lever throw without the pad contact adjuster. I know its possible because i've done it before, i just can't remember how :evil:

Comments

• pump the lever with the wheel/rotor in until they bite. unless you've popped the pistons out and it's leaked fluid, then they need bleeding
  • bennett_346
    Cheers mate i'll try that, and im fairly sure i havent popped them out because they werent any further out than when theyre fully worn. Having said that a bleed wouldn't harm.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    tried using the reach adjuster?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • bennett_346
    nicklouse wrote:
    tried using the reach adjuster?
    I have it adjusted to where i like the lever so moving it in or out wouldn't be beneficial.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    well if the lever is coming back to the bars then it aint in the correct place. move the lever out and see how things come together and then adjust again till right.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • bennett_346
    Was fine the whole day at that position, its not the reach its the bite point i want adjusted. I've had them at that reach position since i got them and don't want them further away from my fingers.

If i reset the pistons, placed the wheel in and pumped the lever would the auto adjust bring them back to where they should be?
  • I think nicklouse's point might be that you should move the lever out, pump the brakes, and then move it back in again. With the current settings you might not be able to get sufficient 'pump' for them to adjust back in to position.
  • bennett_346
    I managed to get them back to how they were by pushing the pistons back in, replacing wheel and pumping lever. No need for using the reach adjust but thanks for everyones input regardless.