Road closures

Ollieda
Ollieda Posts: 1,010
Hi,

I'm helping with the prep work for a charity event and we've hit a bit of a stubling point.

Just wondering if anyone knows if there is a legal point at which you need to have rolling or complete road closures if you have X amount of cyclists?

Someone has claimed that with 20 riders (as we will have) they will need to have rolling road closures - this seems like a very small number to warrant that!

Also, anyone know of any laws which would prevent support cars staying with the cyclists on main roads (thinking mostly about the slower speed here) I know in America there are minimum speed limits for motor vehicles but is that true of here?

Comments

• Brakeless
    Brakeless Posts: 865
    Whoever you have spoken to about rolling closures is talking rubbish. There's many sportives and charity rides that have 1000 plus participants and they certainly don't have any road closures at all.
  • suzyb
    suzyb Posts: 3,449
    Last year there were 9000 people doing the 50 mile pedal for scotland ride and the roads were still open.

Although the few cars I did see on the road had an impossible task trying to get where they were going through the throng of cyclists.
  • thecrofter
    thecrofter Posts: 734
    The only minimum speed limit I know of in the UK is you're not permitted to take a vehicle that is capable of a max spped of less than 28mph on a motorway.......not that that will be a problem for you guys.

I was talking to one of the guys that does the Caledonia Etape with us, he lives very near the A9 and we were talking about LEJOG -ing, he had seen some guy on a skateboard plodding away towards JOG with support van, I don't know which would be more boring, but walking pace in a support vehicle seems legal (if a bit mental)
    You've no won the Big Cup since 1902!