replacement canecreek bearings or replacement headset?

noppy
noppy Posts: 181
edited August 2011 in MTB buying advice
Hi,
i have a canecreek headset on my stumpjumper and the bearings are shot. the headset says canecreek aheadset 3x sp2 .
it seems that the bearing cost pretty much the same as a complete unit with bearing so whats easiest/best to do the cheaper the better.
how do i go about removing the headset?

cheers

Comments

• Torres
    Torres Posts: 1,266
    If you don't have the tools you'll have to factor in labour charge or the cost in terms of buying them.

My headset press was £45 and my removal tool was around £15, an LBS will probably charge between £10 and £20 to do it for you; they may do it for free if you buy the headset from them, but you'll probably end up paying more for the headset in the first place.

I've seen my mate do it using a hammer, a blunt screwdriver and a block of wood, but i'm not a fan of this method, it's a bit too risky and easy to get wrong!

My reccomendations:
    1) if it's been a good headset and the bearings last well and it's well sealed then just replace them.
    2) if the headset's not great try something else and get your LBS to fit it
    3) if you replace headsets frequently (have lots of bikes or spanner for your riding mates) then invest in the tool, 3 or 4 goes and they pay for themselves.

Hope this helps :D
    What We Achieve In Life, Echoes In Eternity
  • noppy
    noppy Posts: 181
    well i cant say how long its lasted as i got the bike used last year but its done a fair few trails and Nevis Red finally killed it.
    The tool i saw on youtube a minute ago seemed pretty basic, a cut bit of pipe basically. The press can be made even easier and someone's selling then on ebay for £2.50 :)

i think the headset is the original which makes it 6 years old which would be good if it lasted that long.

Any idea where to get the replacement bearings?
  • Torres
    Torres Posts: 1,266
    A bit of cut pipe is how i'd describe my removal tool, you may be able to make one at home but i've heard of people having problems with their DIY efforts bending and deforming when they first used them.

CRC may have replacement bearings, if not do you have anywhere local that sells them? If you do just take them in (or take the bearing codes) and they should be able to sort out replacements if they're a standard size.
    What We Achieve In Life, Echoes In Eternity
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    The basic tools are fine. Or just knock old cups out with a screwdriver and bang new ones in with a hammer and a bit of wood.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools