Oval Chainrings

Kneesaway
Kneesaway Posts: 56
edited August 2011 in Road general
This may seem a dumb question, but has anybody ever tried oval chainrings on a fixed.

I assumed the effective chain length would change, but looking at a mates bike with Biopace rings, the rear deraillier is stationary as the cranks turn. This suggests the chain length is the same wherever the cranks are and you could use the rings with a fixed rear wheel.

Now before you all start shouting at me, I know oval cranks are unproven, I'm just intrigued as to whether thay would work or not, so humour me.

Comments

• meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    Bike shop owning neighbour says they are coming back into fashion.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • White Line
    White Line Posts: 887
    Sheldon Brown done it.
  • anto164
    anto164 Posts: 3,500
    Kneesaway wrote:
    I assumed the effective chain length would change, but looking at a mates bike with Biopace rings, the rear deraillier is stationary as the cranks turn. This suggests the chain length is the same wherever the cranks are and you could use the rings with a fixed rear wheel.

Correct.

Chop an oval in half, and there's always going to be the the same amount of teeth on each side whether the oval is 0 shaped or <> shaped. Therefore no difference in chain length etc.