Waterproof jacket for someone with big shoulders

stubs
stubs Posts: 5,001
edited August 2011 in MTB buying advice
Looking for a new waterproof/windproof for the winter and struggling to find anything suitable that fits. Got a budget of about £120 but would spend more for the right jacket.

My problem is I have big shoulders and a long trunk I tried on an Altura waterproof XXL size and I couldnt bend over or lift my arms up the shoulders of the jacket were just too tight. Tried an XXL Endura which fitted my shoulders just but the sleeves were dangling down to my fingers. Tried a Rapha jacket and that was a joke I couldnt even get it on it looked like I was trying to put on a childs jacket.

Where are the jackets made for bigger people not everyone is a weedy bloody roady, dont mind a bit of baggyness just want something breatheable and windproof that isnt designed by a colourblind anorexic.
Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap

Comments

• Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I've found that Altura stuff is fitted for people who are built from pipe cleaners :lol:
    Check out some Endura stuff, they seem to have a range of stuff, and a lot of it fits bigger builds just fine.
    Riding waterproofs will be a closer fit than a big coat though, remember. It's intentional to stop it acting like a parachute.
  • stubs
    Agree the Altura jackets are skinny fit but my mate who was with me tried on a L Altura and it didnt fit and he is 5'9" and 11 stone so not exactly huge. I dont know who its aimed at but I reckon they must blow over in a breeze.
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Skin fits well. Just MTFU a bit.

I have the opposite problem, fitting things around my stomach.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • stubs
    Tried MTFU on sat but when its blowing a hoolie, has rained solid for 3 hours, you have nearly lost the will to live and its still 1,00 foot of climbing and 10 miles to the car then I would have killed for a waterproof jacket that kept me dry and relatively warm.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    MTFU doesn't really work here in winter. Being soaked to the skin isn't an ideal situation when you're above 2,000 feet, with a windchill factor of around -20 to -30, and still 2 hours from warmth.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Apologies then for the cruddy remark.
    As my winter kit includes tights, tracksuit bottoms, two jerseys (long and short sleeve), a jacket, balaclava, sealskinz and ski gloves (with fleecy ones inside sometimes), I obviously fall into the big girls blouse category as well.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • stubs
    It was extreme weather on sat we all got cold none of us thought the weather would get so cold or that the promised showers would actually mean horizontal sleet at 2,500 feet. Dont ya love Bank holiday weather. When we made it to civilization and staggered into a caff that had the central heating on it was like walking into heaven. My hands were shaking so much at the counter I dropped my change I couldnt feel the coins.
  • Torres
    Torres Posts: 1,266
    I've found that Altura stuff is fitted for people who are built from pipe cleaners :lol:
    Check out some Endura stuff, they seem to have a range of stuff, and a lot of it fits bigger builds just fine.
    Riding waterproofs will be a closer fit than a big coat though, remember. It's intentional to stop it acting like a parachute.

SLightly OT, but i've found it the other way round (for shorts anyway,) my altura kit has a lot more spare room than my endura stuff... but i digress.

I think i read something in Dirt this month that Northface have released a few bike specific jackets which might be worth a look.
    What We Achieve In Life, Echoes In Eternity
  • mcnultycop
    mcnultycop Posts: 2,143
    I tried an Altura on (I have big shoulders and chest) and found it felt tight along the back vent. I tried one of these on today and it felt great, plus it is really good value.

http://www.mountainwarehouse.com/mens/c ... p2785.aspx
  • felix.london
    felix.london Posts: 4,067
    Can anyone shed any light on Sugoi's jacket sizing?
    "Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

Trek Session 8