Bike for off-road duathlons / XC

IShaggy
IShaggy Posts: 301
edited August 2011 in MTB buying advice
Hi all, I'm a roadie, so pretty clueless when it comes to mountain bikes. So need lots of advice.

I can't afford a new bike, and nor do I have space at home for one. But that's mere technicalities. Based on the n+1 rule I need a new bike.

I quite fancy having a go at a few off-road duathlons this winter. And then some XC and enduro races next year.

I'm never going to be that competitive. I'm OK at running, but mediocre at cycling. So a top-of-the-range bike is definitely not required.

Ideally I'd like to spend £1000. I could go higher if convinced that there will be a measurable benefit from doing so.

I've pretty much ruled out a FS bike. I think they are just too heavy and low specced for the money I want to pay. But as I said above, if someone can convince me that there would be a measurable benefit from getting one then I would up my budget?

So it's a HT. But here the waters are muddied somewhat by the increasing popularity of 29ers. I haven't ridden one so I don't know if the hype is justified or if it's just the latest trend/fad and as such they will disappear as quickly as they have appeared. From what I've read, they roll better over the rough stuff, and maintain momentum. But this is countered by increased weight and less responsiveness. The ride is supposed to be more comfortable given the bigger footprint, and a number of companies are offering the weight and cost saving option of having a rigid fork - on the basis that the bigger wheels smooth out the trail and so a suspension fork is not required. But less bang for the bucks as there seems to be a price premium on 29ers compared to 26ers.

I've got my eye on a couple of options - all of which I'd classify as bargain-basement options - my family is from Yorkshire after all :wink:

The first is the On-One Scandal 29er. 2 variants -

£899 for the SLX variant which comes with rigid forks and as such weighs a relatively svelte 10.8kg

http://www.on-one.co.uk/i/q/CBOO29SCST/ ... l-29er-slx

And then £1499 for the XT variant which comes with XT 2x10 and Rockshox Reba Forks, and is an even lighter 10.3kg. So great spec but more than I would like to spend.

http://www.on-one.co.uk/i/q/CBOO29SCXT/ ... er-xt-race

The second is the On-One Whippet. £999 for carbon frame, SLX 3x10 groupset and rigid forks, and £1229 with Rockshox SID RTL forks.

http://www.on-one.co.uk/i/q/CBOOWHIPSLX ... hippet-slx

The On-One offerings are fully customizable, so I can can select the correct stem size, and have the option of upgrading components such as the wheels. But as is usual for On-One - pretty much everything is out of stock!

Another option is the Boardman HT Pro. SRAM X9 2x20 and Rockshox Reba SL forks. Retails for £999, but currently on sale for £899. Weight is 11.56kg.

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stor ... yId_165499

Sounds like a bargain. The only downside is that I have to buy from Halfords. But as fettling is my hobby I shouldn't have any trouble setting the bike up and fixing the mistakes that the 12-year-old work-experience mechanic will make.

So what do I do? Up the budget for a FS? 29er with rigid forks? 29er will suspension forks? 26er?

Anyone have opinions on the above bikes - good or bad?

Can anyone suggest some alternatives to look at?

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    All are very good bikes for the money. 29ers are becoming more popular but they do vary, and the specs are usually low for the cash. Similarly with FS as you say, unless you fall on a sale bargain

The one that is catching my eye there is the Whippet with SIDs - that is a good, solid spec for the money and great fork.

Can you tets any bikes out?
  • IShaggy
    supersonic wrote:
    Can you tets any bikes out?

I could probably test the Boardman out - but TBH it will just feel sluggish and heavy. My 'sunday-best' roadie is 16.5lbs and so I guess it will take me some time riding mountain bikes to fully appreciate what's good and what's not.

On-One/PX is my favorite brand. My stable currently consists of - a PX Ti Pro (Lynskey), a PX Steath TT bike, and a Pompino. I've also got and old PX SL pro carbon frame hanging on wall. So I'm a bit biased to the On-One offerings. But should really consider other options as well.
  • felix.london
    felix.london Posts: 4,067
    I like the Whippet too. If you're going to be racing go for the carbon dude 8)
    "Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

Trek Session 8
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    I'd be a little wary of OnOne's claimed weights though - they are often a bit off!
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,391
    I wonder if you fit Planet-X well, will you fit On-One well....?

I'd stick with a 26er if I were you - if you get the MTB bug you can then decide if you want to try something with bigger wheels later...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • IShaggy
    ddraver wrote:
    I wonder if you fit Planet-X well, will you fit On-One well....?

?? Not sure I get you there?

You may be correct that I should err on the side of caution and go for the 'lower-cost' 26er. At least if the huge amount of bikes and spares I have around the house is anything to go by, then I may be upgrading very soon. Like the idea of a 29er though - guess I believe the hype.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Planet X and On One are the same company - road and MTB.
    Assume he means their sizing might be the same.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • ddraver
    yep....maybe? :?
    - @ddraver
  • The Spiderman
    The Spiderman Posts: 5,625
    I`d definitley reccomend you look at a 29er for this use and try one against a 26er.Courses aren`t overly technical in Duathlon and tend to be over more open ground where the extra rolling speed will be an advantage.

The Giant 29ers are getting good reviews and if you shop around you can get the Talon 29er for around £800 though the forks are poor,but is a good frame for upgrading.The Giant XTC 29er can be had for around £1250 at the moment.(Try Pauls cycles.)
    That has had very good reviews,has a very nice frame,Fox forks with qr15,10 speed SLX drivetrain so is a nice spec form the box.

The Scandal 29er is a good option too,I`ve ridden one and loved it but the £1000 deal tends to ony get you a rigid fork which aids lightness but your wrists won`t thank you! :wink:

Another good option are the Trek 29ers like the X calber and Scott Scale Elite 29er .Pedal on have some good deals on these.
    2006 Giant XTC
    2010 Giant Defy Advanced
    2016 Boardman Pro 29er
    2016 Pinnacle Lithium 4
    2017 Canondale Supersix Evo
  • ddraver
    Definitely try both if you can but as a beginner MTBer I reckon you re best going with the Status Quo (at least the UK Status Quo) at first.....

(I'm not an auto-29er hater I promise)
    - @ddraver