Tyres and Sizes!

wingsonourheels
wingsonourheels Posts: 44
edited August 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
this is a fairly basic question - however, after a comprehensive search for some new MTB slicks i'm a little lost and fairly confused.

I've got a MTB hardtail with 26inch diameter wheels - currently the tires have a 2.2 diameter.

My question is can I buy any 26inch treads and will they then fit?

I've also been reading some people use different treads for front and back.

I'm doing a coast to coast in September - the road i'll use slicks (therefore want to be sure I can use any width) and the off road slicks. Does anyone have any recommendations for set up and tyres.

Thanks

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    it depends on your Rims and how wide they are.

but yes most "should" be fine.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Thanks -

They are Rodi 559 x19c (bit of an odd size but hey)

Am i limited to anything in particular?
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Nope, almost any 26" slick will fit, from 1 3/8" upto 2", 19mm wide isn't that odd.

Your current tyres are 2.2" wide NOT in diameter!

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • jon1993
    jon1993 Posts: 596
    I did the coast to coast (hornsea to Liverpool I assume you mean?) on 1.75 semi slicks they only became out there depth on one very small part over the middle part of the route only 100ft long but the rest they where more than capable if anything you could get away with 1.5s easy. The majority of the time I use 1.25 semi slick for commuting and they really are the smallest you can get away with on a 26 inch mtb wheel made for general xc riding. You shouldn't have any problems with any tyre like that on this track just remember to buy some innertubes that are smaller aswell haha.
    Scott Spark 30 carbon custom build
    Giant Faith 2 DH bike
    Boardman pro 2011
    Boardman team carbon 2010
    Carrera kracken 2009
    Specialized fsr pro 2009
    Haro custom build
    Cannondale custom build