For those complaining about the cost of sportives....

ADIHEAD
ADIHEAD Posts: 575
How's this for value, either 124km or 180km, £14 if you enter this year, £19 next year in advance, or £25 on the day. I did it this year and very much enjoyed it, feed stops were great and it starts and finishes at a caravan park so there's good facilities (showers/cafe) and parking. Put it in your diary for 6th May 2012.

For £14 you can't go wrong!

http://www.somersetgranfondo.co.uk/

Comments

• rich164h
    rich164h Posts: 433
    The Evans rides are only £12.50 in advance and £15 on the day. Every one I've been on has been pretty well organised and I'm not sure what else i'd need from an event.

I agree that £25 is a lot though. Why would anyone pay that? That's a ridiculous amount of money for a sportive.
  • ADIHEAD
    I pay an average of £25 per event, Tour of Wessex, Cheddar Cyclosportive, Wiggle events for example. I don't live near any events that Evans do so didn't realise they were even cheaper. I really enjoyed this last year and paid £25 for it back then so this is a nice surprise anyway :wink:
  • rich164h
    rich164h Posts: 433
    It does look good I must admit. I could easily be tempted!
  • jackmcd
    jackmcd Posts: 185
    Have to say - read a few complaints but after my first sportive on saturday I am quite happy.

Paid about £30 for 100 miles with two feedstops. At each was as much tea, cake, banana, etc as I could eat; and I could stuff my pockets with gel and energy bars. Probably had £15 worth of energy products and two stops for tea / cake / biscuits on a ride would normally cost getting on for a tenner in country pubs or tea shops. I got to ride all day in pleasant company without once worrying about map, directions etc as route was clearly marked. No worries about where to stop, and I knew there was first aid and breakdown help if I needed it. Got a bag of junk at the end with a couple of usable things in it.

I'll be doing more - better than the frustration of getting lost or the boredom of always riding the same routes. And a heck of a lot cheaper than buying a garmin...
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,470
    a couple of my dads running mates did the big g in east yorkshire last month and thought it was great value at 25quid. that's compared to running events wereyou get a timing chip and thats it.
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • ADIHEAD
    Glad not everyone's moaning :D

I've entered this one anyway, as are most of my riding mates so sign up if you fancy taking on us locals on our own territory :wink:
  • I've entered and I'm gonna open a can of whoop-ass on Adihead and his cider drinking mates. Bring it on... :twisted:

Then again, maybe I'll be the fat chuffer from the North West who'll be at the back holding the sweeper wagon up. Who cares either way - with a route like that it's gonna be great fun at whatever speed.
  • I've entered and I'm gonna open a can of whoop-ass on Adihead and his cider drinking mates. Bring it on... :twisted:

Then again, maybe I'll be the fat chuffer from the North West who'll be at the back holding the sweeper wagon up. Who cares either way - with a route like that it's gonna be great fun at whatever speed.
  • Maybe I'll do it twice.
    D'Oh.
  • Maybe I'll do it twice.
    D'Oh.

• Surely it's not the cost that counts it's the value for money.
    Whether it's £14 or £64 for a cyclosportive you need to know what your getting.

Any price is worth paying if you get value for money.

Do these cheaper or expensive sportives have medical back up ?

Do they go the extra mile (pardon the pun) to make sure all riders have a good day ?