Cleaning oil off braking surface...

chrb8
chrb8 Posts: 38
edited September 2011 in Workshop
I seem to find that whenever I apply GT85 to my front/rear derailleurs and jockey wheels (eg. after riding in the rain) it often sprays off or drips onto the rear wheel and I am particularly aware that if this goes on the braking surface it's not going to help braking performance. Obviously I try not to let this happen and use a cloth to mask the area first, but invariably drips happen.

Does anyone have any tips for cleaning the rim braking surface to get rid of oil and therefore to improve braking performance? Any particular products?

Comments

• Just wipe it off as son as you finish oiling your chain. Use degreaser if you cant get it all off.
  • fludey
    fludey Posts: 384
    I just use brake disc cleaner meant for cleaning oil off car discs as they are shipped with a film of oil to protect them. Only thing I'd say is spray it on cloth then clean not spray all over the bike!
    Felt AR4
    Planet X Pro Carbon 105
    MTB Kona Kikapu Deluxe with a few upgrades!!
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,555
    imho don't spray gt85 on those things in the first place, if it flushes out heavier, better, lubricants you'll be doing more harm than good

if there's dirty/salty water on a bike, i hose it down

then run the chain through a rag to take off excess water, and wipe the rest down (with a different rag)

every now and then give things a proper clean, grease and oil the bits that need it
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • Twostage
    Twostage Posts: 987
    I use spit on a kitchen towel.
  • MichaelW
    MichaelW Posts: 2,164
    Scrub the rims with the same mix you use for your cutlery and dishes. You should do that on occasion to remove the normal road oily/greasy muck.
  • freehub
    freehub Posts: 4,257
    Be careful if you use fairy liquid near the spokes, it can lead the problems later on as I found out.
  • coopsman1
    coopsman1 Posts: 337
    freehub wrote:
    Be careful if you use fairy liquid near the spokes, it can lead the problems later on as I found out.

Care to elaborate?
  • freehub
    freehub Posts: 4,257
    If it's not washed off properly it can cause hell the the spoke nipples eventually.
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,555
    products like washing up liquid can contain salt, alkalis etc., which can cause corrosion
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • Babywipes are surprisingly good for cleaning wheel rims - i follow up with a clean rag to remove any moisturiser!
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    Clean rag + very hot water
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • Dettox kitchen surface cleaner. I let some oil spill on the lino and was amazed how well it removed the oil so I tried it on the rims (I'd let quite a bit of oil run down a spoke from the freehub before I spotted it happening). Worked a treat.
  • Methylated spirit. The alcohol seems to clean road muck and pad debris. My brakes are always sharpest after a rim clean.
    Mud to Mudguards. The Art of framebuilding.
    http://locksidebikes.co.uk/
  • marcusjb
    marcusjb Posts: 2,412
    Twostage wrote:

and then hang it back up in the kitchen and hope no-one notices? :wink:
  • marcusjb wrote:
    Twostage wrote:

and then hang it back up in the kitchen and hope no-one notices? :wink:
    I meant kitchen roll, honest.
  • Twostage wrote:
    Dettox kitchen surface cleaner. I let some oil spill on the lino and was amazed how well it removed the oil so I tried it on the rims (I'd let quite a bit of oil run down a spoke from the freehub before I spotted it happening). Worked a treat.
    Confirmation. I did a few back wheel skids this morning. Going to use it on my front rims and try not to go over the bars.
    Going to add dettox to my bike tool kit.
  • Bozman
    Bozman Posts: 2,518
    WD40 and a rag
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    ...or dettol?
  • coriordan wrote:
    ...or dettol?
    I'm talking old money. It was called dettox but they re-named it Dettol. Still sold as dettox even though that's not what it says on the tin...

http://www.sellesmedical.co.uk/store/pr ... ray-500ml-

Remember when Cif was called Jif (until they wanted to sell it in Spain I think).
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Yep, I remember that, but not as far back as when snickers were called marathon?
  • Twostage wrote:
    Twostage wrote:
    Dettox kitchen surface cleaner. I let some oil spill on the lino and was amazed how well it removed the oil so I tried it on the rims (I'd let quite a bit of oil run down a spoke from the freehub before I spotted it happening). Worked a treat.
    Confirmation. I did a few back wheel skids this morning. Going to use it on my front rims and try not to go over the bars.
    Going to add dettox to my bike tool kit.
    Went to tesco over the weekend and thought I'd get some dettox/dettol. They were having a two for one sale and had sold out. :( do tesco monitor this site ?
  • Bozman wrote:
    WD40 and a rag

really ? WD is a lubricant - I know it cleans well but I'd prefer a degreaser based cleaner rather than lubricant based cleaner however, each to their own - if it works for you then great
    A person who aims at nothing is sure to hit it

Canyon Aeroad 7.0 summer missile
    Trek 2.1 winter hack