Removal of shimano casette.

elliotlipski
elliotlipski Posts: 71
edited August 2011 in Workshop
Hi all. I am trying to switch over rear cassettes between wheels. A friend has lent me his chain whip and lock-ring removal tool. However when trying to remove the lockring it just wont budge.

The rear cassette is shimano ultegra (2010) and the lock-ring remover is shimano compatible (think its one bought from lidl) it fits, however not the most snug fit.

Is there a specific lock-ring tool for the ultegra cassette? is it worth buying a new one?

any help or ideas would be appreciated.

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    nope it is just like any shimano lock ring tool.

try pressing down with the tools with the wheel against your legs.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Thankyou nick, i've given that a go, had two people trying holding it down etc etc. checked workshop video to make sure im turning it the right way and still nothing.
  • arlowood
    arlowood Posts: 2,561
    Hi there

Does the Lidl tool only have hexagonal flats for use with a spanner?

If so I would advise you to get another lockring tool that has the additional internal squared hole that you can insert the bar end if a socket set into.

In particular one of this type:-

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SHIMANO-SRAM- ... 3a691bc314

That way you can use a standard socket set bar for leverage - much more secure that a normal spanner and you can use a bit of pipe for extending it if you need some extra leverage.

The lockrings can become fairly well seized and it could require some extra "welly" to get it moving.
  • Lazarus
    Lazarus Posts: 1,426
    The lockring tool is rather loose :( but i find if i use a Stillson Wrench instead of a normal spanner then that gives me ample leverage to shift the stubborn sod.
    A punctured bicycle
    On a hillside desolate
    Will nature make a man of me yet ?
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,556
    if it's been there a long time and wasn't given a dab of antiseize, it might have got corroded

try getting some penetrating oil like plusgas (much better than wd40 etc.) in there, leave it a while, then give it some welly

btw, with tight stuff, you can get huge leverage if you get the chainwhip handle and the wrench handle about 10-15 degrees apart, then squeeze them together with your hands, this is also much more controllable than holding them separately
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • Thankyou everyone for the responses will give them a go and see what happens.

@arlowood yes it did have the internal whole, much like the one in the link so will give that way a go.