threaded post mount on forks

dusk
dusk Posts: 583
edited August 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
I recently purchased a second hand bike and it came with a Hayes 9" rotor on the front, having read up on it I decided I didn't think it sensible to run it on a Fox Float R fork so I decided to put the standard 7" rotor back on, I was just tightening the bolt and it has threaded :( I was only nipping it tight which is a pain as well

So my question is what is my best bet as a fix?

My ideas are either use a larger diameter bolt or try and get some aluminium solder and try and repair the original size mount.

Any ideas would be much appreciated
YT Wicked 160 ltd
Cotic BFe
DMR Trailstar
Canyon Roadlite

Comments

• Andy B
    Andy B Posts: 8,115
    edited August 2011
    Try a slightly longer bolt, there more be more thread further down the mount

Or get it helicoiled
    2385861000_d125abe796_m.jpg
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    sorry you have stripped the threads not threaded it.

you may be able to get it helicoiled if there is enough metal. otherwise new lowers time.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • dusk
    You're right it's stripped, i was having a mind blank :oops:

Has anyone used a Helicoil then, would they work if the bolt was regularly used?
    YT Wicked 160 ltd
    Cotic BFe
    DMR Trailstar
    Canyon Roadlite
  • mattv
    mattv Posts: 992
    Some people drill and tap to M8 , but this is a permanent thing as you need to drill out the brake caliper holes which cant be fixed later. Ideally, you should helicoil if possible.
  • dusk
    I think the Helicoil looks to be the best bet, any idea who does such a thing?

I thought this stuff may be a possibility clicky
    YT Wicked 160 ltd
    Cotic BFe
    DMR Trailstar
    Canyon Roadlite
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    many LBS's or any engineers shop.

and I would not use it on a fork.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown