bottoming out.

kinmofo
kinmofo Posts: 172
edited August 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
both my front and rear suspension bottom out quite regular, even on the hardest setting, im not small at 6ft5 nor light at around 18 - 19 stone. on the rear i have fox vanila r and on front its tripleclamps, sr suntour DURO. i've had the rubber stops out of the front forks, might put them back in tonight. althought could i get stiffer springs? or is it worth saving up n buyin whole new forks. there's nothing wrong with them. just a bit soft for me i think.

and as for the rear, can i get away with a new spring? or should i just upgrade to something with a bit more beef?

any advice / help is welcome/appreciated. thanks.

matt.
I'm a Nazi Zombie! And You Cant Kill Me!

Out of all the things I've lost, I miss my Mind the most!

dont get mad, get KROSS

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    so what are your sag settings?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • kinmofo
    sag? dunno if mines even got that tbh. the fronts just have + & - ajusters on the top.

the rear, u can make it stiffer by tightening the spring. there is a little wheel u can turn which says "slower" with an ---> arrow. which makes the action on the rear slower i guess. well, it responds slower. thats all the ajustment i can make.

dont get mad, get KROSS
  • nicklouse
    Sag - how much the suspension compresses when the rider is in in normal riding position.

XC about 20% AM about 30% etc etc
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
  • kinmofo
    got ya, bout 40 / 50% on rear. the bike is very laid back, so the back takes more of a pounding. i just measured my eye2eye and its either 210 or 220. so im gonna say 215 to be safe. the current one on there is about 190 or something like that. will that extra 25mm make much difference?

the front is probably 25 / 35%. but it depends on how + or - i have them on. but like i say im no feather weight.

dont get mad, get KROSS
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    You need stiffer springs. And the eye to eye must be what the bike was designed for.
  • kinmofo
    i think i bought the wrong length rear suspension when i built the bike to be honest. when i dissconnect the front mount on the rear shock and lift the bike, there is a good 15 to 20mm before it reaches maximum extention, which is noted by resistance, almost like a bumper or limiter somewhere inside the pivot.

my frame is a kross sign fr2 if that helps.

dont get mad, get KROSS
  • nicklouse
    that is often the case. what size shock did you buy?

and year of frame?
  • kinmofo
    im currently trying to find my frame year. bought it from a friend n he didn't know either. once i find out i'll go measure my rear shock aswell and give you my current eye to eye. from what i;ve found so far on google, 210 eye2eye seems to be the acctuall mesaurement. but i'll not stop till i;ve found the year n then the correct eye2eye. thanks

the rear shock is a fox vanilla R.

dont get mad, get KROSS
  • kinmofo
    cant find the year yet, but this frame and sticker set is exactly same, so i'll assume its the same year.

http://www.rower.com/archiwum.php?art=2664

any help with finding the year and proper eye to eye would be much appreciated.

dont get mad, get KROSS
  • nicklouse
    nope there is no info out there. Mail the makers.

But one version can with a 800lbs spring fitted as standard.
  • kinmofo
    mailed the people at kross, had no response... what to do... what to do?

dont get mad, get KROSS
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Wait a week;-)

Maybe they will reply.