children friendly Northumberland tours

mikebikemike
mikebikemike Posts: 166
edited August 2011 in Tour & expedition
Earlier in the month, my 10 year old and I had a successful cycle tour riding from Berwick to holy Island, camping at Goswick and returning the next morning. Probably the round trip was around 25 miles. |I think anything longer or hillier might be too tough.
Has anyone suggestions for similar rides?

Comments

• hi mike there are plenty of short round tours in and around northumberland/durham,depends really where you want to start from,first place to look would be the national cycle network,plenty of routes to choose from,i have cycled most of the routes at some stage,let me know what you fancy and i may be able to give you better advice.

:P
    He travels fastest who travels alone
  • ta for the reply Dazza. What wer're looking for is 15-20 flat miles at the end of which there's a campsite at the end of it. Ideally to sting 3-4 similar days together. Scottish borders would work as well as Northumberland
  • hi mike,first one that springs to mind is starting here in south shields,plenty of long stay car parks in town,and following the river tyne ,west,as you travel along the tyne valley either on the north or south side,nice and flat,if i was taking the bairn i would get the ferry from s/shields to n/shields and stay on the north side,newcastle is about 12-13 miles away,once past there,you are entering open countryside,first night would be in say newburn,nice pub and b&b there,next day cycle to hexham,plenty of campsites,route follows the river bank all the way from newcastle to hexham,

hope this helps :P
  • me again mike,there are any amount of old disussed railway paths that have been converted to cycle paths around here,all interconnected in some way,really safe for kids,it,s just va case of looking at some maps and planning your routes,the coast and castles route south from newcastle to berwick is again mostly off road and flatish from newcastle to amble.