problems and new 203mm rotor for avid elixir 5's

paultownsend
paultownsend Posts: 87
edited August 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
good morning all, be gentle, its my first post!

i have had endless issues with my avid elixir 5's on my specialized camber expert.
now i am a little chunky at 16 stone, but my friend had elixirs on his alpine 160 and rated them highly

the levers have been always pulled far back. one finger braking has been a no no with the power on offer

the issue is the auto adjust on the pistons. one piston adjusts out on every pull of the lever, the other stays put. making set up a pain. iv contacted sram. they recommended a bleed. i did this and its exactly the same

this is just the rear, the front is what i would class as reasonable. with 150k of riding id sat its bedded in

now the same friend while building up his new spec, replaced the enduro's elixir rsl's with saints. truly epic

i inspected the boxed avid's and guess what? on caliper works fine, the othere the same as mine. and reading on the net, its a huge problem with avid's

after my rant, there now going back to the shop

however, im needing a new front disc. my dingbat friend dropped the wheel on a concrete edge and its bent and grazed the disc

im not too keen on shelling out £35 on another avid one. are there any other options? shimano? hayes v8 seem a highly praised option. or has anyone had experience with superstar? there seems to be vaious reports on the thickness of these

any thoughts would be great guys

Paul

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    why not a disc is a disc is a disc? any the correct size will work.

also clean the sticky piston and work it in an out a bit until if no longer sticks.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • the thing is the pistons aren't too sticky.

if i hold the good piston in the offending one moves out. i have also cleaned and lubed all pistons.

iv just read an old mbuk which has slightly diferent instructions for bleeding the elixirs.

il try this again.