Get your Marathon Winters NOW!!!!!!! (or you'll be sorry!)

rolf_f
rolf_f Posts: 16,015
edited August 2011 in Commuting chat
Yes, they are in stock at the moment. Even Wiggle have them. So get them now and don't become a member of the inevitable "where the hell can I get Marathon Winters" thread that will appear in a couple of months time :lol:

You know you don't want to miss out on the fun of ice road cycling.......

700c http://www.wiggle.co.uk/schwalbe-marath ... n=products

MTB http://www.wiggle.co.uk/schwalbe-marath ... n=products

(and thanks to Undercover Elephant for making me think of this).
Faster than a tent.......

Comments

• iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    Ha, great thinking! Managed to get some MTB ones last year (after much of the panic described above) but they are so heavy and slow I can't see myself actually riding 20 miles on them!

Might offload when everywhere sells out ;)
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    iPete wrote:
    Ha, great thinking! Managed to get some MTB ones last year (after much of the panic described above) but they are so heavy and slow I can't see myself actually riding 20 miles on them!

Might offload when everywhere sells out ;)

I ran Ice Spikers on my 10-year old Kona Cinder Cone two winters ago - 15 hilly miles each way for my first commutes - that's hard work. Last year I race Ice Spiker Pros (folding) on my Cube Reaction Race which was easier. This year it's Marathon Winters on the CX - should be much quicker.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • suzyb
    suzyb Posts: 3,449
    No 650C :(
  • suzyb wrote:

There probably wouldn't be clearance on your road bike anyway, they're 35 mm tyres: it's either CX or MTB, really.
  • DrLex
    DrLex Posts: 2,142
    Question for the experienced users of such; how short is the life expectancy of the tyres when the road isn't ice- or snow- covered? I appreciate that it's not the same as studded car tyres (illegal in this country but common-place in Scandanavian & other countries close to the North Pole), but I'd like to put these on for winter & get more than a couple of months' wear for my £60-odd. Or is it that one should have them on a spare set of wheels (+cassette) for a quick swap as conditions dictate?
  • mroli
    mroli Posts: 3,622
    Merlin were doing these for cheaper with the code schwalbe15 (don't know if it still applies though)...
  • suzyb
    suzyb Posts: 3,449
    suzyb wrote:

There probably wouldn't be clearance on your road bike anyway, they're 35 mm tyres: it's either CX or MTB, really.
    i just re-read your post and realized you didn't mean clearance as in sale but as in space to spin :oops:
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    I ran ice spiker pro's for 4 months last winter (and 2 months on regular ice spikers) no noticable wear and tbh they'd only just bedded in after about 500 miles.

Lost one spike but seem to be lasting fine, even on non-iced roads.

That said the marathon winters are much much better, pump up hard for non frozen days to save the studs and let them down for ice
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    DrLex wrote:
    Question for the experienced users of such; how short is the life expectancy of the tyres when the road isn't ice- or snow- covered? I appreciate that it's not the same as studded car tyres (illegal in this country but common-place in Scandanavian & other countries close to the North Pole), but I'd like to put these on for winter & get more than a couple of months' wear for my £60-odd. Or is it that one should have them on a spare set of wheels (+cassette) for a quick swap as conditions dictate?

The spikes are made of tungsten and shouldn't wear down dramatically. They are heavy and slow though so you might not want to run them all winter!
  • georgee
    georgee Posts: 537
    hmmm, they do make a ton of sense, only problem though is that i'd need loose my guards, can you get anything similar as a 25 or 28 maybe?
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    They're really not that slow, or too heavy...
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    iPete wrote:
    The spikes are made of tungsten and shouldn't wear down dramatically. They are heavy and slow though so you might not want to run them all winter!

They are pretty heavy (950g each) and have a fair bit of tread but, on the upside, they're great winter training
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • DrLex
    iPete wrote:

Thanks, iPete. Not worried about weight, as the Intended bike is 20+ in years and prob. kilos too. Just don't want to trash them in one season (am aware that one may lose a few studs in use).

Right- now off to google a Wiggle code...
  • davis
    davis Posts: 2,506
    Mine have just been shipped, apparently.
    Then I remembered I didn't have a bike that could fit 35c tyres. Damn. N+1 ordered too... 8)
    Sometimes parts break. Sometimes you crash. Sometimes it’s your fault.
  • wyadvd
    wyadvd Posts: 590
    got mine at the last minute last autumn from bike 24 , they seem to have them at good availability all year round , very fast delivery from germany , and good prices.
    Just about to experimet with fitting them to my sabbath september this year......without mudguards maybe?
  • All I need to go with my Schwalbe is a spare front wheel ready to do the quick-change when I wake up and see it deep and crisp and even outside. For commuting I can't imagine running the spikes in anything but a proper layer of snow; on the other hand a last minute tyre-only change would be a pain in the ar$e.
    I reckon on getting the maximum benefit with spikes on the front only and leaving a standard mud tyre on the rear - anyone else used spikes up front only?
    "Consider the grebe..."
  • DrLex
    [...]I can't imagine running the spikes in anything but a proper layer of snow;[...]

I thought the idea was to gain traction on ice; snow (other than powder) could be managed on a 'regular' knobbly tyre.
  • Hi drlex
    last year in the snow, when it became compacted, steering and braking on the knobblies were sketchy at best. I think I soldiered through about ten or twelve days of that (suburban London). Those are the conditions I'm thinking of, when the snow packs down on untreated roads rather than all out sheet ice, like on a frozen lake.
    "Consider the grebe..."
  • joelsim
    joelsim Posts: 7,552
    Call me an armchair fan, but icy roads = car to work.
  • Hi drlex
    last year in the snow, when it became compacted, steering and braking on the knobblies were sketchy at best. I think I soldiered through about ten or twelve days of that (suburban London). Those are the conditions I'm thinking of, when the snow packs down on untreated roads rather than all out sheet ice, like on a frozen lake.

there are knobblies and knobblies though. try some soft compound tyres at reasonably low pressures and I think you'll be staggered at what you can get away with.

My MTB has these fitted

http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/category/components/tyres/mountain/product/review-intense-tires-spike-fro-lite-2in-9138/

1) They are mud spiked tyres so if the ground gives even a little they will dig in.

2) It is dual ply so you can run it nice and soft with out pinch flats.

3) it has soft rubber so it really does stick like glue.

I ride up and down compacted ice tracks let alone roads, with these.
  • wyadvd
    wyadvd Posts: 590
    this is me on my marathon winters last december 18th on my way back from ashford to margate cross country.

http://youtu.be/7mlbx16tPo0

It was firm snowplowed packed snow. not a bad surface to ride on with these tyres. the worst is newly melting slush. sheer smooth ice is perfectly fine on marathon winters- as long as the pressure is as low as you can get away with. Ive sought out sheere smooth black ice , and steering and braking is fine.

The tread is too fine really with loose snow as the tread gets blocked up with snow, and the spikes are "buried".