torque settings

jon1993
jon1993 Posts: 596
edited August 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
im posting this for a friend in his belief that it is not important to torque to the right setting on various bolts around the bike ive given him my views but hes still not in belief it really matters aslong as there "about right" just for backing on this can you just give some of your views on this subject just to see if its me being over the top or im right in what im saying
he gets thats its important to torque bottom brackets / crank arms ect to the right torque for obvious reasons but does it matter really on stems, bars, seat post clamp, ect if there within reason thanks alot
Scott Spark 30 carbon custom build
Giant Faith 2 DH bike
Boardman pro 2011
Boardman team carbon 2010
Carrera kracken 2009
Specialized fsr pro 2009
Haro custom build
Cannondale custom build

Comments

• Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    It depends on the user. Some people have a lot of experience of various fasteners, and can go by feel.
    Other people need a torque wrench to guide them.
    Others need to be shot, like the local tyre fitter who jumps with his entire 18-20 stone mass on the end of an extension bar on wheel bolts, damaging them, and making them so tight that they snap off when you try to undo them :evil:

The setting on a torque wrench is hardly ever accurate anyway, so there's a lot of "about right" when using them.
    The only way to get proper torque is by setting your torque wrench using a calibration tool each time it's changed, and before each use.
  • jon1993
    jon1993 Posts: 596
    hes that person that needs to be shot lol yeh i do get where your coming from but is there any benifit what so ever from the right torques on the bolts mensioned and difference in flex/ feel from them if there not at the right torques. i cant see this myself just going on something i herd some time back from lbs or is it just the fact of being tight enough to do what they are ment to and lose enough to get them back out without damage as i belive lol thanks again
    Scott Spark 30 carbon custom build
    Giant Faith 2 DH bike
    Boardman pro 2011
    Boardman team carbon 2010
    Carrera kracken 2009
    Specialized fsr pro 2009
    Haro custom build
    Cannondale custom build
  • Anonymous
    It's not a difference in flex, or feel - the torque settings do not actually alter the metallic structure of what they're holding together.
    However, the correct torque will ensure that the component is held securely in place, with the minimum chance of it working loose, and no chance of stripping the threads, or deforming the part to the point of damage.
    Torque loading of different bolts can be worked out quite scientifically, and relates to fixing diameter, materials used, thread pitch, and the load placed upon the surfaces to be joined. It is certainly not a "best guess" by some guy in a factory :lol:
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Never used a torque wrench on a bike, can honestly say in over 40 years of riding I've never stripped anything, snapped a bolt, and nothing has ever fallen off. Maybe I'm just lucky.

Which is not to say it's not better to use one, especially if you are Yeehaa's tyre fitter. (I think it's fairly common with tyre guys, using power wrenches with half a brain)

Do use one on cars though,
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Anonymous
    Ahem. I have standards, you know. That idiot is now my no-longer-tyre-fitter.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Hope you left him in a ditch, head reversed.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools