Tyres, gatorskins?

2»

Comments

• Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    I know we are going slightly off piste with this but my view on the gp4000s's is that they are fantastic but, like every thing, there is a compromise. They run well, zip along, nice cushioning and feel, light, easy to get on, grip well in all weather...but expensive, limited puncture proofing, more prone to pinch flats and can cut up easily.

They are supposed to be a race tyre with some puncture protection, which sums them up, IME.

I ride them on my nice bikes and accept that every now and then I get to stop, change a tube and pick a thorn, etc., out of the tyre. On my training bike then it's Krylions all the way (much more durable, equally light, cheaper but a little dull and just don't make me smile so much).
  • merak
    merak Posts: 323
    Still off-piste but I find Conti GP4000s pretty robust. In about 1500 miles zero punctures, zero cuts, zero pinch flats. On our club run more than half use them and if I include them in the statistics then I could extend the observation above to several thousand miles. Biggest problems we've had seem to come from Schwalbe Ultremos. Not scientific I know, but a bigger sample than looking at a single person's experience.
  • I love 4000S's - my personal lottery reveals no punctures in the last 2000 miles or so. They can be a bit squirmy on gravel patches, wet grill covers etc, but that's the payback for the low rolling resistance. I've had some Schwalbe Blizzards on my spare wheels and they've been surprisingly good...pretty fast and no visible wear or punctures after around 1000 miles. Stupidly cheap on Planet X right now...
  • I like to avoid stupidly-named products. Like 'Gatorskin', 'Toupe' and 'MegaExo'. I have found the less marketing-orientated and more understated brands in cycling to be producers of the better products.

The Schwalbe Marathon Plus is a puncture resistant tyre with a good reputation, and is available in 700x28.

sensing some irony here =P

I thought exactly the same, in my internet text thoughts it was WTF?! And then in my film quoted kind of way my brain thinks, although I can't name the show, film - "Is this some kind of joke?"

Can imagine Gilbert from The Inbetweeners saying that, but probably because I watched the film last night and was disappointed that he wasn't in it more.

To the OP - read a few reviews. I will be going for Gatorskins next I think. I have Sport Contacts and Flak jackets at the moment and haven't been terribly impressed with either.

Although Continental do offer a year guarantee - which I have had to use.

I have also used Armadillos and Marathon Pluses which are very puncture resistant IMO - but they are damn heavy.

HTH
  • Gators for training/commuting/crappy winter roads
    GP4000S for racing

Can't go wrong........
    Now watch me go get a puncture! :lol: