Birthday Present

asprilla
asprilla Posts: 8,440
Right, mate of mine is turning 40 this year, next week actually, and I need to get him a present.

His wife's got him a Garmin 800 and I want to get him something cycling related. He's a house husband and has time to train so we were thinking about some kind of event that would be an experience and a target to train for.

However, the 2012 Etape courses aren't announced until October and I don't think either of us will be able to find the time to train for the Marmotte. He's trying to rope me into the Vätternrundan next year so that's off the list.

I'm only interested in paying the entry and then we'll just to it as family holiday and within driving distance of London would probably be our best bet as spouses and kids will be coming along for moral support.

So far I can only think of the usual suspects like the Dragon, Etape Caledonia and Fred Whitton. Anyone got any other ideas?

S
Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
Sun - Cervelo R3
Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX

Comments

• Sjaak
    Sjaak Posts: 99
    Asprilla wrote:
    Right, mate of mine is turning 40 this year, next week actually, and I need to get him a present.

His wife's got him a Garmin 800 and I want to get him something cycling related. He's a house husband and has time to train so we were thinking about some kind of event that would be an experience and a target to train for.

<snap>

So far I can only think of the usual suspects like the Dragon, Etape Caledonia and Fred Whitton. Anyone got any other ideas?

S

Etape Caledonia is not really something you would need to train for and very uneventful. Entries for Dragon and Fred are pretty much lotteries thus very difficult to ensure entry for two. How about the Ken Laidlaw ride. This ride is 100mile+ and covers some nice climbs and lovely scenery in the scottish Borders. Makes for a great holiday too (with partners / family).
  • garrynolan
    garrynolan Posts: 560
    Etape Hibernia? Nice w/end away, 80-odd miles and plenty for the family to do on the day.
    Visit Ireland - all of it! Cycle in Dublin and know fear!!
    exercise.png